Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Pop % - Let's Look at the Facts

• Lumbermill_Emperor
    Lumbermill_Emperor
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KingYogi415 hey! where i can look at this statictic?
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    elvenmad wrote: »
    Maybe if we had better servers instead of the cheap crap they hire, lag and unstable/unpredictable servers is bad enough in 'normal' game zones, but in Cyrodiil it is for most far far worse, to the point its unplayable for many and a waste of time to attempt to acheive anything, hence alot avoid it, but its not for not wanting to take part.

Ding ding. Hit the nail on the head, mate.
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I don't mind in the slightest that PvPers represent a disproportionately loud voice on the forums, but I do note that the mods are always busy moving e.g. crafting and skill related topics from here to their appropriate forums while I can't recall a single PvP related topic ever being moved from here to the PvP forums - not that I'm questioning moderation, merely making an observation.

+1

I cannot remember any Mod action as well that moved a thread that is really 100% PVP to the AW forum or the PVP Combat & Skills forum.

And many of these 100% PVP threads are of forum newbies.
    => they are not even helped / guided to learn where to post.

Perhaps they do not even know that those two PVP forums exist !
    and are really good forums if you want to play there.

Edited by hrothbern on October 1, 2016 9:39AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Lumbermill_Emperor

It's in the psn trophies.

It looks like it's 92% now that I'm double checking. That's still a good amount of people who have never even got out of coldharbour.

Cheers!
  • malchior
    malchior
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way I can gauge the PVP population is the slow reduction of campaigns every major patch.
    Edited by malchior on October 2, 2016 6:43AM
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sure everyone can cry a little here and there. Even the big pve groups not saying they never do. Their crying is a bit different though. Usually how they can not get through xx content yesterday even when it is brand new today ..it is to easy to hard that sort of thing for dungeons... even some overland stuff once in a while. However they are talking about game mechanics and npc things most of the time.

PVP crowd though xx class or player character skill being to much and needs to be nerfed and after they get that one nerfed they complain about the next thing that killed them more then once. Light armor, staves, heavy armor, radiant oppression, shields, cloaks, flappy flappy, wrecking blow, steel tornado and so on and so forth...the list NEVER ends. Always some new skill/ class or what not that needs to be looked at (read nerfed) according to whomever got waxed by x skill. This is the part I do not like.

If the pve person whines most of the time I can avoid what ever is bugging them. It is rare that what they are complaining about affects me and if it does happen to be one that does affect me it is rare that it is a bad thing. They think VWGT is to hard and it gets nerfed since I rarely do dungeons has little to no effect what so ever on me or my toons.

However, when a pvp person whines then that skill or class gets altered and it does not just hit the person that defeated them in pvp land. The NERF alters the way that a skill or class works for EVERYONE which includes me. It does not matter that I do not normally pvp I get hit with the constant alterations anyway. For examples we do not like that people can block so much...that shields take to much damage before they are gone... that a temp can well heal like they could with bol before PVPers WHINED and got all of these things changed for everybody. Any resentment towards the pvp crowd stems from these constant complaints that alter what I can or am able to do.... No I do not race after whatever the current meta is so I am not altering everything every time someone finds and new flavor of the month build. Nor do I want to have to do this....
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be suprised if the PVP population was allways small. I wouldn't be suprised if PVE makes up the bulk of this games playerbase.
    elvenmad wrote: »
    Maybe if we had better servers instead of the cheap crap they hire, lag and unstable/unpredictable servers is bad enough in 'normal' game zones, but in Cyrodiil it is for most far far worse, to the point its unplayable for many and a waste of time to attempt to acheive anything, hence alot avoid it, but its not for not wanting to take part.

Still does not change the lovely people that partake in it. Ohhhhh dealing with PVPers is a loveeeelyyyyy thiiiiiing. PVPers.gif
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lumbermill_Emperor

It looks like it's 92% now that I'm double checking. That's still a good amount of people who have never even got out of coldharbour.

Cheers!

So, not in the in-game listings of trophies?

Just trying to be specific here, because this convo has more than just ps4 players.
    Edited by Cryptical on October 1, 2016 12:00PM
    Xbox NA
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember about a year or so ago trying to get a good buddy of mine to check out cyro...he likes interacting (at times) with others even less than i...

took me weeks to talk him into trying it out...when he finally did - it was a little frustrating for him to figure out some of the pvp mechanics (where to go, how to siege, how to group, staying in stealth)...

he was a decent collegiate athlete - so, a competitive guy by nature...he now has a 1st Sgt and 3 other characters which are sgt's...

the excitement and "rush" from pvp is unlike any other I've experienced in gaming...

my hope is that out of all the folks whom read this thread they'll be one pve exclusive person who'll be just curious enough to see what the fuss is all about - come into cyro, tough it out for a couple of weeks, find me somewhere out on the battlefield, kill me, than t-bag me unmercifully...

I have a dream :)
    Edited by geonsocal on October 1, 2016 8:34PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaronking wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

I don't mind in the slightest that PvPers represent a disproportionately loud voice on the forums, but I do note that the mods are always busy moving e.g. crafting and skill related topics from here to their appropriate forums while I can't recall a single PvP related topic ever being moved from here to the PvP forums - not that I'm questioning moderation, merely making an observation.

This so much.
    I can handle PVP QQ, but when every thread is posted in General Discussion and not in PVP section i gotta wonder if these players really have any knowledge at all...

Lmao the devs don't read the pvp section that's why.

What's your evidence that the devs (as opposed to the mods) read here any more than they do there?
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be a HUGE amount of the player base that bought the game and never reached the veteran ranks and probably never entered cyrodiil or even if they did probably got lost and confused and hated it like I did at first. I am in a guild from a local gaming forum and we had a lot of members buy the game and two of use got to vr16 with the majority not even getting close to vr.
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    Jaronking wrote: »
    You have to remember the game on 3 different platforms so different platform will have different population of PVpers and PVe players

really good point...that 13% achievement is from ps4/na...curious to hear if the other platform/servers are much different..

I was wondering which platform you were on. On PS4, people can rent the game from redbox, or even borrow it from a friend and play it for free, if they have the disc. Also, there was a trend, which I think is still around, where PS4 players can create child accounts, and then create 9 other ESO accounts, invite them all to the same guild and have their own 500 space guild bank. Some people have even gone as far as making enough accounts to make themselves eligible for a guild store. Unfortunately, there's no way to account for how many accounts exist for only those purposes.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVPers.gif

This is funny and true
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy...big disclosure - i got no facts...

the only thing I'm sure about is that I have an achievement which shows that only roughly 13% of all eso players have ever captured a resource...

if you've played in cyro for even a few hours, it's a pretty easy achievement to acquire...

unless I'm missing something (always a very real possibility) - that means more than likely, active PVPers only make up about 8 to 10% of the overall eso population...it just seems like there's more cuz we're sooooooo flippin loud here on the forums, and pretty aggressive in some of the zone towns too...

given the competitive nature of PVPers - and their strong desire to gain an edge, my guess would be that researching tips on improving their game would lead a decent percent of those players to the forums...it wouldn't be surprising to me if the forum consisted of around 20% pvpers...

So what's my point...if you are a pve type person reading this thread - come visit us in cyro...we're not all loud ganker, wacko types...

with one tamriel soon to roll out, try your hand at some dueling, see if ya like it - then find yourself an active, evenly populated campaign and give it a try...

this is my first mmo and I had little desire to check out cyro when I first started...however, after entering and getting a feel for the place, I can still vividly remember the rush of adrenaline I had the first time I was riding my mount alongside another 10 or 15 players going from one keep to the next...it felt like a moment straight out of the wild bunch (must see sam peckinpah film)...it was the coolest feeling I had ever had playing a video game...

if ya got any questions - let me know...happy gaming trails one and all <3

This is on a per character basis, is it not?

Farming, mule, name holders and non pvp ready toons drive down the average considerably.

I pvp almost exclusively and until vet was removed i had one character with this achievement.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8% prob never made it out of coldharbor because a lot of them were created for the purpose of making a personal guild bank
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest that the 13% is a percentage of characters, not players. I am also not sure I would want to see any more players on PS4 NA, given the lag we can have sometimes. Mind you there are times where I struggle to find anything happening at all.

PVP is not for everyone, as someone posted earlier, it can feel lake gang (or gank) warfare out there with people wanting to kill you for no reason other than you are weaker than them. I have to be in the right mood for it and only then does it seem like fun for me.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be suprised if the PVP population was allways small. I wouldn't be suprised if PVE makes up the bulk of this games playerbase.

Still does not change the lovely people that partake in it. Ohhhhh dealing with PVPers is a loveeeelyyyyy thiiiiiing. PVPers.gif

lol, I like that! and you know, externally this may be true! We can be kind of freakish in action. However, internally/mentally it's the complete opposite, isn't it? Most PvEers talk the most about their opinions, and how they feel about things. Emotions don't resolve issues or determine potential outcomes to prepare for, they tend to do the opposite and create more problems. This must make a PvEers mind a chaotic place internally, i mean, isn't that why PvEers are always asking for more predictability, more control, and for things to be easier? Whereas, most pvp players are concerned with developing their strategies, and dealing with the circumstances they encounter, as they're encountered, which requires more discipline and patience. Granted, pvpers do have the worst freak outs ive seen/heard.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »

@Lumbermill_Emperor

Cheers!

So, not in the in-game listings of trophies?

Just trying to be specific here, because this convo has more than just ps4 players.

PSN trophies are found on the PS4 system not in the in game achievements. If you have the phone app press top right corner for a drop down choose trophies, select game in the list and it will show you the trophies you have earned and how many other people that have played the game have earned.

@Cryptical
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    come to my blade, fishy pvers!
    im thursty of noob blood in cyro!

not sure how well this story will translate...

went to school upstate ny at this real old place, been around a couple hundred years, place has a real strong personality...some of the people whom worked there, had literally worked there their whole adult lives...

there was this old hunchback man whom used to do our janitorial services in our building...whenever he was cleaning the bathrooms you could hear him whispering: "here fishy fishy"...we had no doors on our bathroom stalls, so you could see him leaning over the toilets he was cleaning whispering that over and over again...that was over 30 years ago and it's still in my head...

@Lumbermill_Emperor ...thanks for the crazy flashback >:) ...not sure what your voice might really sound like, but, when i read it - it sounded sinister and in a whisper, and totally had me lmao...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 2, 2016 1:15AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • RobTheAxe
    RobTheAxe
    ✭✭
    I know, it is interesting.

When I play a game, I want to play all it can offer, but my favorite is PVP

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play recently to get into the campaigns but Even during the IC event I found it interesting that often it was hard to find players, but I go to do my daily writs, and at any time Stonefalls is full of people just chatting and running around town. in Deshaan there are constantly many, many players looking to do dungeons, and I even see many players grinding out in the open world, and I do wonder why more of them don't go to the PVP zones
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobTheAxe wrote: »
    I know, it is interesting.

When I play a game, I want to play all it can offer, but my favorite is PVP

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play recently to get into the campaigns but Even during the IC event I found it interesting that often it was hard to find players, but I go to do my daily writs, and at any time Stonefalls is full of people just chatting and running around town. in Deshaan there are constantly many, many players looking to do dungeons, and I even see many players grinding out in the open world, and I do wonder why more of them don't go to the PVP zones

it' funny - the routine of grinding dungeons for gear and farming (i absolutely love farming for some odd reason), would drive some people insane (I tried vma, after about 30 minutes I felt trapped and then had an extreme sense of relief when I finally died)...for others the chaos and aggression of pvp is a total turn off - still, like yourself, I feel a little obligated to try different aspects of the game...who knows, maybe they'll be a time when I can't wait to log on and go work on some trials...
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what my PVE'ers friends think of PVP'ers:
    a younger crowd who gank you in packs and then teabag over your dead body.

so yeah.... not that appealing to do unless you have friends to run with or else its riding around getting ganked while typing LFG LFG every five minutes. i may have done the teabag thing myself once...or twice.

i enjoy both- started to do the questing, got heavily into pvp - now am more into pvp and trials + crafting and achievements. great thing about this game is that there is something for everyone .
  • AmberLaTerra
    AmberLaTerra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many many gaming websites have done polls on just this question over the years and the results always come back similar

PVPer (50% or more of play time spent in pvp) - 7-10%
    All arounder (Play PVP but less then 50% of play time) 27-30%
    PVEer (may rarely play PVP but mostly PVE) - 56-60%

it does not take much to see that PVPer's in general are a minority in gaming, however PVPer's are much more likely to use the forums of a given game as most PVE players when then run into an issue just file a report and move on to some other PVE aspect where as the PVPer cannot move on to a different PVP aspect so must come to the forums about it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

CP 365 Nord DK DPS EP
    CP 365 Imperal DK Stam Tank EP
    Level 9 Imperial Stam Templar EP
    Cp 365 Khajiit Stam Blade EP

For the glory of the Pact
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many many gaming websites have done polls on just this question over the years and the results always come back similar

PVPer (50% or more of play time spent in pvp) - 7-10%
    All arounder (Play PVP but less then 50% of play time) 27-30%
    PVEer (may rarely play PVP but mostly PVE) - 56-60%

it does not take much to see that PVPer's in general are a minority in gaming, however PVPer's are much more likely to use the forums of a given game as most PVE players when then run into an issue just file a report and move on to some other PVE aspect where as the PVPer cannot move on to a different PVP aspect so must come to the forums about it.

@AmberLaTerra ...thanks for the knowledge - although you would never think that percentage was so low to read the different thread titles on this forum...

questions about the pvp aspect of the game is what led me to this forum...I kept googling bunches of questions - and, a large percentage of the answers kept coming from other players on the forums...

really glad I decided to join the forum - took me many years in life to figure out what group of people I really fit in with the best...sadly, it would appear - I am right at home here :o

Queue: Talking Heads - Naive Melody...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 3, 2016 7:14AM
  • AmberLaTerra
    AmberLaTerra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy to help. I myself am more in the middle group from those polls or even the PVE group depending on game. ESO is one where I am in the middle as I will PVP 1-2 days a week but focus more on PVE simply because I enjoy the feeling of working with a group to defeat a trial more then taking a keep. It just feels more rewarding, though I do enjoy ESO PVP when I do it for the most part.

The only times PVP really gets me upset is when I rarely come across a player not even trying to hide they are using CE (such as the ones who manage to hit you with both NB and Templar skills in the same death recap 1v1), but despite the massive uproar over CE here on the forums I have found CE users here to be less prevalent then in some other games. Would be nice if there were non at all, but asking to have something where no one cheats is like asking to trip over a bag with 10 million dollars in it you can keep walking down the street, it will never happen. We can just hope ESO bans them when they are caught cheating.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

CP 365 Nord DK DPS EP
    CP 365 Imperal DK Stam Tank EP
    Level 9 Imperial Stam Templar EP
    Cp 365 Khajiit Stam Blade EP

For the glory of the Pact
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moral of the story: People enjoy playing against an over powered computer program more than they enjoy playing against an over powered human.
  • kuro-dono
    kuro-dono
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moral of the story: People enjoy playing against an over powered computer program more than they enjoy playing against an over powered human.

You wont believe how embarrassed i was on my stamina templar khajiit with near 100% crit rate at cyrodiil, killing enemies without trying to kill when velidreth kept procing, i made that alt for ic farming purposes due to the initial burst dps, but had to take it cyro to get magelight and ava skills unlocked.

2h there and i made propably 100 kills alone with velidreth :disappointed: thats nearly 100 kills more than i get with my redguard templar :neutral:

but then, there is these sweet banelords at ic which i utterly and totally hate :blush: always it somehow caughts me offguard with the negate + frost aoe and then wrecking blow.
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this topic is a few months old, but it's still relevant.

Would be nice to see some actual statistics from @ZOS_RichLambert - like those who was kind enough to provide before :)
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy...big disclosure - i got no facts...

the only thing I'm sure about is that I have an achievement which shows that only roughly 13% of all eso players have ever captured a resource...

This number would be skewed by a number of factors such as bank mules never needing to go into Cyrodiil, more casual players that just tool around Tamriel and those that start the game but do not play long.

given the competitive nature of PVPers - and their strong desire to gain an edge, my guess would be that researching tips on improving their game would lead a decent percent of those players to the forums...it wouldn't be surprising to me if the forum consisted of around 20% pvpers...

These forums are not organized well to be a useful source of this information. It is why the General section is the most active. There is a fan crated website that serves as a better resource plus those sites created by individual players are better sources of information on builds.

• dbonifaci_ESO
    dbonifaci_ESO
    ✭✭
    Basket of Deplorables!