Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any way to hide others' gamertags?

ChaosWotan
ChaosWotan
✭✭✭✭✭
Just returned to ESO after almost a year's pause - got tired of grinding new gear after IC - but now discover that the devs have once again introduced something idiotic or cheesy, this time: gamertags, which ruin immersion, so hope the devs have at least given us the option to hide others' gamertags. Is there a way to do this? Or must one roam alone, far from other players, in order to avoid the CoD feeling associated with @-tags?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    where are you seeing this? directly above peoples heads? Those should be nameplates and I thought they were off by default (you can turn them off it they aren't already) as well somewhere I think I saw a preference for if you prefer to see character name or userID.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Isbilen
    Isbilen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're referring to the account name below (or is it above?) the character name in the target frame, try this addon:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1371-RPTargetFrame.html
    Edited by Isbilen on September 30, 2016 9:17PM
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nameplates are off.

Must one have an addon? Don't mind, but prefer an official option.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried character names or user id, but both shows @ tags
  • Isbilen
    Isbilen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »
    Nameplates are off.

Must one have an addon? Don't mind, but prefer an official option.

Yes, you need an addon. The one linked above works.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank god there is an addon at least.

After the devs introduced white wedding dresses and pink belly dancer outfits that can be used by males - like orcs for example - it became pretty obvious that they were catering to the ironic "that's so hilarious" generation, and cared less about staying true to classical D&D-like RPG. So after that I expect all kinds of cheesy things, without the insane creativity of you know who.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

To answer your question about the displayed name, our article found here states:

We display PSN IDs on PS4 and GamerTags on Xbox One instead of character name or UserID to be consistent with the already established social mechanisms available through Microsoft and Sony.

If you may have any further questions, please feel free to contact Customer Support for further assistance. ^- ^
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tnx for reply, but I don't care what one calls it - Gamertags or User IDs - I just want an option to hide others' @-tags, because it's ugly screen clutter that messes up the generally beautiful game the devs have made. Tried the show character name or user id option, but both keeps showing, on PC.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run through all the settings. On console you have heaps of options, preference (name / GT) but also off unless you are pointing at them etc.

All on does look ridiculous, very COD, but I have most of them off now (NPC etc) and just on for people as I point at them. I may be getting confused with health bars. But I just know I hated it and don't now haha.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a computer, and want an option to hide the extra @-tag when pointing at other toons. Getting an @ - an email sign - every time I look at someone feels like being in a Gmail game, and it gets worse if the dude in front of me has some long and silly user id.

If there is no option to hide the user id completely, then this is the worst idea the devs have had in this game, perhaps excluding the gear grind of IC which more or less destroyed the amazing gaming community we had in Cyrodiil before the summer of 2015.