Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Advice on decon please?!

Wolfhammer
Wolfhammer
✭✭✭
I'm just wondering which way I should decon between 2 characters with a decent size level difference

Character 1 - level 12 with one point in Blacksmith (ie can use iron)
Character 2 - level 33 a few points in Blacksmithing but since rolling character 1 he will be soley Clothier and Woody after respec

Ok so my higher character gets all the usual quest rewards and mob drops in metal armour n weaps and can happily decon then and receive all the materials..
I tried sending over this stuff to my lower level character in the hopes he gets an xp boost because of the item level. I do get a message saying "cannot retrieve all materials because of lack if skill"..

Ok so question:-
Is my lower level character benefiting from decon'ing higher level gear that he can't get, or is this outweighed by the materials I'm missing out on by not decon'ing on my higher character?

Just a bit of advice please from the more experienced players if I may>?

Thanks..
Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get the full decontructing XP. The game just warns that your lowel level character may not get all possible materials. There IS an XP penalty when decontructing much higher level items, but at your levels it doesn't affect you.

Have a look of this guide .
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would reconsider spliting blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking between different characters - motifs are not shared between characters.
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    You get the full decontructing XP. The game just warns that your lowel level character may not get all possible materials. There IS an XP penalty when decontructing much higher level items, but at your levels it doesn't affect you.

Guide is boomarked - thanks..

Am I getting a lot more inspiration on my low level char per piece or is it not enough to make up for missing out on decon materials by decon'ing with my higher character?
    Edited by Wolfhammer on September 28, 2016 1:41PM
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    sadownik wrote: »
    I would reconsider spliting blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking between different characters - motifs are not shared between characters.

What about having enough points to be effective in 3 professions on my higher character and stay current with abilities and passives??? I have a standard level 33 and 11 - Not vet with no CP and stuff..
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfhammer wrote: »
    What about having enough points to be effective in 3 professions on my higher character and stay current with abilities and passives??? I have a standard level 33 and 11 - Not vet with no CP and stuff..

Once you get to Champ Ranks, you will have enough points. I have a Master Crafter that was fairly deadly during my days in Vet Ranks, and now she has all the skill points she needs to fully flesh out all the things I want to invest in.

Now, what you can split off to another alt is Provisioning, Alchemy and Enchanting. That will save some skill points. Enchanting takes a while to level, but Alchemy and Provisioning less than an hour for both. Besides, you really want all your characters to be proficient in Alchemy and Provisioning for the Passives, if not to make stuff.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just deconstruct all trash that drops from mobs. You'll level your skills for free in no time. And use the materials you get back to do the writs. Don't bother speccing them though until you have enough points to spec your main abilities: racial passives, class, 2 weapons, 1 armor style, mages/fighters guild. It's more advantageous to have someone else craft training gear as you are leveling him, every 10 levels or so - many guildies will do it for free if you provide them with the materials - you'll have plenty of those from deconstruction. Deffer refining until you actually have all the passives. You can't get the best tempers without them. At most split gear and consumables crafts between characters, but don't split the gear crafts, as you will then need to relearn the motifs; research can be done in parallel for different crafts.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I getting a lot more inspiration on my low level char per piece or is it not enough to make up for missing out on decon materials by decon'ing with my higher character?
    Higher level mats always give more XP than lower, unless the XP penalty clips it. My advise is to not worry at all about material loss. Better to get to max level in crafting first. Usually crafting skills anyway level up slower than your overall level. It is very difficult to be your own crafter for your very first character.

Level up crafting, but naturally you need to balance it with general advancement. I see from your signature you are in Alith, so you should have lots of friendly help around.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭

Higher level mats always give more XP than lower, unless the XP penalty clips it. My advise is to not worry at all about material loss. Better to get to max level in crafting first. Usually crafting skills anyway level up slower than your overall level. It is very difficult to be your own crafter for your very first character.

Level up crafting, but naturally you need to balance it with general advancement. I see from your signature you are in Alith, so you should have lots of friendly help around.

Nice answer, thanks...