Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 12 Deep Dive: Weapon Ultimates"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
0a3aec0c16409918a230647077ef016b.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Update 12 Deep Dive: Weapon Ultimates.

Update 12 brings about many exciting changes and improvements to ESO, including the introduction of Weapon Ultimates. In this article, we'll give you the low down on each of the new Weapon Ultimates, their morphs, and what they do.

Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • LittlePumpkin030
    LittlePumpkin030
    ✭✭✭
    When will the update be live on European Server? I can't wait to give my main character a complete overhaul ^^
    This one has wares if you have coins, yes!

ESO-Streamerin https://www.twitch.tv/littlepumpkin030
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to the bow ultimate the most I think, Toxic Barrage morph sounds great for my character! :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Resto Ultimate that gives allies +30% critical damage and -30% damage taken for 5 seconds. But does it require actual healing to proc? And does the ultimate itself have to do the healing to proc it? Like, if Panacea is active but a player gets healed by a tick of Healing Springs, will that proc the critical damage increase and damage taken reduction? Will a heal at full health proc this? If just being in range of ultimate can proc the buffs, it is an excellent ultimate for groups. Tanks can use War Horn and Healers can use Panacea. But if it only buffs damaged allies, and the buffs are therefore kind of sporadic and unpredictable, it might be best for Healers to stick with being part of War Horn rotation.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god, the Propaganda in that elemental storm description is so huge :D

My highlights:

"Elemental Storm: Enemy troops closing in? Drop a cataclysmic storm in their path and watch the devastation ensue. This instant-cast ground target area-of-effect attack creates a storm that builds for two seconds, then lays waste to all enemies in the area by dealing Magic Damage over time. The storm type will be Fire, Frost, or Shock, depending on the type of Destruction Staff you currently wield."

"As a master of the elements, we wanted those who use the Destruction Staff to be able to wreak havoc over a large swath of the battlefield. Elemental Rage covers a larger area than any other Ultimate. The total damage on this ability is also some of the highest in the game. To counterbalance its massive area coverage and high damage, this Ultimate's cost is appropriately higher than its counterparts."

"In true elemental fashion, the Elemental Rage morph grants access to unique bonuses based on the Destruction Staff type used. Frost locks enemies into place to help ensure they take full damage from the storm. Shock offers the highest total damage, but requires the target to be contained within the storm for the full duration. Fire deals the most damage each hit, making it ideal for killing foes before they have a chance to retaliate. Use of this ability is particularly effective in dungeons with a high density of enemies or against large groups of enemy players in PVP."

They really believe, they have created something. They are so convinced of that ult.... despite it being the worst ult of all.
    Edited by Dracane on September 28, 2016 6:52PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

My highlights:

"Elemental Storm: Enemy troops closing in? Drop a cataclysmic storm in their path and watch the devastation ensue. This instant-cast ground target area-of-effect attack creates a storm that builds for two seconds, then lays waste to all enemies in the area by dealing Magic Damage over time. The storm type will be Fire, Frost, or Shock, depending on the type of Destruction Staff you currently wield."

"As a master of the elements, we wanted those who use the Destruction Staff to be able to wreak havoc over a large swath of the battlefield. Elemental Rage covers a larger area than any other Ultimate. The total damage on this ability is also some of the highest in the game. To counterbalance its massive area coverage and high damage, this Ultimate's cost is appropriately higher than its counterparts."

"In true elemental fashion, the Elemental Rage morph grants access to unique bonuses based on the Destruction Staff type used. Frost locks enemies into place to help ensure they take full damage from the storm. Shock offers the highest total damage, but requires the target to be contained within the storm for the full duration. Fire deals the most damage each hit, making it ideal for killing foes before they have a chance to retaliate. Use of this ability is particularly effective in dungeons with a high density of enemies or against large groups of enemy players in PVP."

They really believe, they have created something. They are so convinced of that ult.... despite it being the worst ult of all.

Be quiet.

You're going to ruin the roleplayer immersion. Some people want to be real wizards.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »

My highlights:

Be quiet.

You're going to ruin the roleplayer immersion. Some people want to be real wizards.

I wish them all the best. This Ultimate will not make them become great wizards.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Svartulv
    Svartulv
    ✭✭✭
    Finally some sweet stuff for tanks? Oh really? Looking forward to try shield ultimates, looks really awesome.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My highlights:

It's literally not even close to being as bad as you and others make it out to be, this ult is great and will see plenty of mileage from a plethora of players on live who are smart enough to take advantage of it.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hahaha good one with that destro ulti description! Shame on you ZOS for confusing people with this. Apparently, some of them already believed you lol.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    Hahaha good one with that destro ulti description! Shame on you ZOS for confusing people with this. Apparently, some of them already believed you lol.

Yep.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Phica_Lovic
    Phica_Lovic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Svartulv wrote: »
    Finally some sweet stuff for tanks? Oh really? Looking forward to try shield ultimates, looks really awesome.

Wut. "Finally" some sweet stuff for tanks? Have you played a real tank in this game? Masters of both PVP and PVE.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Phica -Max CP - Lvl 50 Argonian Sorc Healer since launch

• sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot does the one hand shield ultimate makes you automatically block attacks right? Then if so B) my dk will be able to block without using sturdy traits.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • HaymakerXtc
    HaymakerXtc
    ✭✭

My highlights:

... Ya I dont know, but i havnt been on Test. they say its one of the highest dmg ultimates in the game, and its range is largest, and it follows you around. I cant wait to try out Destro, Resto, 1hS, Bow. but really get a vote to ban the 2hander. Unless you want to see an entire cyrodil campaign rockin 2hander lol.
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definetly not worse than the resto one.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PTS install is truly screwed for this patch- can anyone link me to some videos of ultimate use in PvP to give some perspective of their use against players?
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• Dan_Fazzyub17_ESO
    Dan_Fazzyub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    When designing the Two-Handed Ultimate, we were aiming for a brawler-style attack that would be uniquely powerful, but also increase survivability for melee builds. Berserker Strike does both of these things. It's the only attack that ignores the target's armor while buffing yours.

Because Vigor/Rally/Shuffle wasn't enough survivability. LOLZOS.

#ThanksWrobel
    Kirin Blaze - Ebonheart Pact - Imperial Dragonknight
    Kïrïn Bläzë - Daggerfall Covenant - Imperial Dragonknight
    Kìrín Blàzé - Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial Dragonknight
    Vehemence - Omni - COMBUSTION
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! That 2-hander ultimate will be on every melee build.

All of these new weapon ults should have a morph that returns all ulti if you kill an enemy with it.

Talk about unbalanced....
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who wrote these ult descriptions (not the tooltips, what's in italics)? Was it just somebody like @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , or is this what the devs actually wanted each skill to be?

Some highlights:
    • Expecting the resto ult to be a boon to STAMINA characters
    • Calling the destro ult high damage, when it's basically a subpar version of Meteor, with a morph that turns it into a subpar version of Bat Swarm
    • Expecting the destro ult's slightly larger range than Meteor or Bat Swarm to cause it to see significant usage against large groups in PVP, when AOE caps mean that the game punishes you for hitting more than six players

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My highlights:

It's literally not even close to being as bad as you and others make it out to be, this ult is great and will see plenty of mileage from a plethora of players on live who are smart enough to take advantage of it.

At this moment, I see absolutely zero use for the destro ult at all. Anything that it can do, Meteor or Bat Swarm can do beter. Seriously, if you know some secret trick with it, please share, as I'm actually a huge fan of the visual effect and would love a reason to slot it besides it just looking pretty.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My highlights:

At this moment, I see absolutely zero use for the destro ult at all. Anything that it can do, Meteor or Bat Swarm can do beter. Seriously, if you know some secret trick with it, please share, as I'm actually a huge fan of the visual effect and would love a reason to slot it besides it just looking pretty.

There is no use. For pve, it is way too expensive and not needed, because trash waves die fast anyway and wasting any ultimate there, is not needed.

In pvp, people will simply move out.
    This ult is useless in any aspect of the game. It if it had a cost of 150, then maybe.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a joke
    OdinForge wrote: »
    Some people want to be real wizards.

1bguc7.gif
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My highlights:

My highlights:

I have seen many posts with math explaining why it's bad. You seem to be the only person who thinks it isn't. Please explain yourself if you truly think the ultimate is good
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You've no idea how bad it blows trying to get all the lorebooks for meteor on console. There is no add-ons pinpointing everything out. It's a nasty chore for any magic build that I would gladly trade even at more ulti cost.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Who wrote these ult descriptions (not the tooltips, what's in italics)? Was it just somebody like @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , or is this what the devs actually wanted each skill to be?

Some highlights:
    • Expecting the resto ult to be a boon to STAMINA characters
    • Calling the destro ult high damage, when it's basically a subpar version of Meteor, with a morph that turns it into a subpar version of Bat Swarm
    • Expecting the destro ult's slightly larger range than Meteor or Bat Swarm to cause it to see significant usage against large groups in PVP, when AOE caps mean that the game punishes you for hitting more than six players

Actually the ulti WOULD scale off of your max stam, but the weapon itself would be worthless to you. Basically that idea revolves around using an ulti to heal and wasting a weapon slot when using Rally and a better Ultimate would be more benefitial.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Divil_sp33d
    Divil_sp33d
    ✭✭
    Well instead of normally being wrecked in pvp all that will be left of me is dust....

Still this weapon ultimates seem cool. who knows maybe they'll add un-armed/brute combat skill line i.e. hand to hand with things like daedric knuckles.

and add necromantic staff, druidic staff skill lines.
    Edit: as there are werewolf and vampires in the game, one thing that could be added along with necromancy is the ability to become a lich.
    Edited by Divil_sp33d on September 29, 2016 7:30PM
  • TheAngelofDeath99
    TheAngelofDeath99
    ✭✭✭
    This will be the ULTIMATE update.

hehehe...
  • Divil_sp33d
    Divil_sp33d
    ✭✭
    Not sure where the best place for a PS4 user to post this is but a very small UI change would be for armor you pick up in brackets have its style e.g. Boots (dunmer)
    looking for the update when is it coming?
  • simo271
    simo271
    This may have been asked quite a bit but.... Is there a release date for Xbox one yet??
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I know everyone is pffft-ing at the destro ultimate, but I'm actually kind of excited to try it out. Maybe we just haven't found it's ideal setup, it's perfect niche build. That's what makes theorycrafting fun, right? Even if it doesn't work, isn't it nice to have a new toy? Even if that new toy is a plastic bag that might choke us?:tongue:

That aside, I'm solidly psyched for the 1H&S ult and the Resto morph that gives you Major Force and Major Protection. That's kind of great for a support build or an offensive healer (which so many people are now).
    Edited by Auricle on October 2, 2016 12:22AM
  • Kennett
    Kennett
    Soul Shriven
    For the Elemental Storm Ultimate, I feel that the best morph is the Ice Staff (Icy Rage), I mean it would make sorcerers an asset in small to mid size team fights, specially if your team takes advantage of the immobilization and jumps in there with the Dual Wield (Thrive in the Chaos), and the Two-handed (Onslaught) Ultimates. Your team could be a deadly burst damage force, even if outnumbered.

This Destro Staff ultimate seems very appealing to me, but only because I am assuming that it will cancel any other enemy ultimate that's withing its range, slow the enemy even after doge rolling out immobilization, and that the costs will be 150 (one can dream).

I do agree that the Two-handed (Onlaught) Ultimate might be OP, but it does give stamina Sorcerers and stamina Templars something worth putting on their Ultimate slot. LOL

PVP just got a lot more interesting. Not balanced... just interesting. >:)