Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confession: I'm on PC now =O

Pandorii
Pandorii
✭✭✭✭✭
So I found a hard copy version of the game for $18 that included the Explorer's Edition on Amazon, and I made the leap. The EE was the selling point since I got the 'any race, any alliance' unlock and a bunch of treasure maps that used to be garbage but now might be useful when one tamriel drops. I'm also just really excited to try out my new self-made pc with a game that I know and love. 1070 + ultrawide monitor here I come. =)

However, switching from ps4 to pc has been pretty difficult. what are some real quality of life recommendations for playing on pc?

Some topics:
- Controller Support - not quite there yet. I can't use a ps4 controller, so I'm worried my brain will explode if I have to alternate from an Xbox to ps4 controller every time I want to play on different accounts. Plus, I also downloaded the game on my laptop, a non-gaming friendly Macbook pro, which has no controller support. (so might as well learn keyboard). Are there any easy to use, non technical, 3rd party softwares that can allow ps4 controller support?

- Key Binding omg you guys. My fingers are starting to cramp... What are some highly common keybind changes from the defaults? I seriously find myself going through the entire alphabet trying to find my freaking skill list. What's up with that dodge roll?! And how am I supposed to move my small hands from wasd to the number keys up top on a giant gaming keyboard fluidly without looking down? Lol

- Addons : I went a little add on crazy when I downloaded the game... I was the most decked out level 8 no cp player haha. But then I realized many of them were outdated. =( I particularly really wanted one that helped me track my trait research. I left behind a 9 trait crafter on ps4. Esoui doesn't really have an easy way of showing what apps are current. How to deal with that?

- Master Merchant: OK... Wtf. It's nice, but it feels like I'm playing freaking master merchant online with all the damn price checks and ***. The economy is taking some getting used to, and I'm annoyed when people can't tell me from their memory what things are worth. On ps4 you have to know all that.

- How to make money? On ps4, I could make millions from buying cheap and selling high. On pc it doesn't seem to be so, because of mm. There also seems to be just a flood of stuff available, higher supply equals lower cost. I've gotten by so far selling flowers and doing some motif farming (dro mathra, order of the hour, and minotaur), but the one free guild trader guild I'm in doesn't have a trader right now. Since the buying power of gold is higher on pc, I was thinking it might be more lucrative to find a way to make direct gold, like pickpocketing, assassinating, and locked chest picking... Thoughts?

- Guilds: they're everywhere XD I joined 5 in like 10 minutes in Davons Watch. Kinda overwhelming.

- Text chat: what planet am I on? It's so different! Every one is making long two or three sentence comments in zone chat about something philosophical or perverted. Guild chat is super vibrant and distracting. I don't really feel I know anybody yet, because they're just some name next to some letters. I haven't really taken the time to set up a headset on pc (ps4 gold headset didn't work when i plugged it in) to run team speak, ventrillo, or discord. Why so many different ones? Sheesh.

This is my culture shock. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks that will make my PC gaming life easier.

I'm a level 20 magicka Templar healer/dps, if anyone wants to team up. It'd be cool if there were any peeps that are from pc switching to console so we could do some quid pro quo kind of thing (like I craft you armor on ps4 if you craft me armor on pc).

*Please excuse my typos or poor formatting. This was written from my phone, while in bed at 3am in my pjs. I woke up in the midding of the night, and I couldn't fall back to sleep. =)
Edited by Pandorii on September 25, 2016 8:17AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, do you like the PC version more?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS4 controller. Look for a program called DS4Windows (emulates 360 controller and also lets you set the touchpad up as a mouse!) And if you do this, look for the add on that changes the Xbox icons to PlayStation. Welcome to the dark side. There's no turning back now. Muhahaha!
    Edited by Bryanonymous on September 25, 2016 4:16PM
  • Nirnrotten
    Nirnrotten
    ✭✭✭
    I made the jump the other way lol
    I honestly enjoy console more because it feels more like a TES title to me. I played Morrowind to Skyrim on console. On PC it was difficult for me to shake the feeling of "just another mmo".
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, welcome to the PC! You'll get used to the controls in no time.. it is a bit odd going from a controller to keyboard/mouse, but I'm sure you'll pick it up soon enough. I've always used the defaults, though on some characters I bind my interrupt to a button on the mouse because I find right+left click a little slow.
    You can still make money buying low and selling high - install Awesome Guild Trader (the actual name of the addon). It gives you extra filters while searching for items in guild traders, and one of them filters is a deal finder. It's color coded, so white is a pretty standard price, green is slightly better, blue even better, purple a great deal, and yellow means you should probably buy it right away and resell (depending on the item of course).
    Though I make most of my money grinding IC for tel var and selling the mats I buy, like ingots and leather because they sell fast.
    I don't really voice comm much, but when I do the guilds are usually running TS, though some are making the plunge to Discord because it's free.

Are you enjoying it so far compared to the console?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS3 controller, same deal as the above poster. Mine was literally just a little driver I installed, no need to fudge around assign keys and whatnot to make it work. Plug and play baby!

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1228-PlaystationInterface.html That addon changes all the xbox buttons on the UI to playstation buttons.

Key bindings? I use a mouse with 12 buttons on the side. Everything is over there. lol Some folks use a mouse with only a few buttons on the side and they will put their skills there. (Or some people just get good at reaching up to the number keys)

Dodge roll is double tap. Easier if you bind it to a single key. (maybe V?)

Addons being outdated doesn't matter if they still work. They show as outdated when Zos updates the game and the author doesn't go into a file and change the "version number" or whatever.

[Edit] Welcome to the dark side.

Also yeah, Teamspeak and Discord seem to be the most used now. I just keep both installed. If you use Discord.. install the program. It has a browser version that works.. but that's more so for a random person just joining in for one thing. You'll have more options with the full program.
    Edited by MissBizz on September 25, 2016 4:24PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the tips. It's hard to say if I like one platform over the other. I thought for sure pc would be universally better, but I find myself missing a few things from console:

-PS4 has a small community, so everyone knows everyone.
    -PS4 has built in voice chat. It feels so much more personal.
    -PS4 has large icons are actually nice. Another reason why I would like to use eso with a controller.
    -The PS4 runs smoother with low hardware investment. I find that eso is nearly unplayable on my old ish MacBook. It's flawless on my PC, but I get occasional kicked from the game for no reason.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bind break free to scroll wheel up on mouse and synergy to scroll wheel down. Bind dodge roll to a single key
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 25, 2016 11:11PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC has the option of ui scaling... So you can make the ui larger if you prefer :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    PC has the option of ui scaling... So you can make the ui larger if you prefer :)

I'll look into that, because I'm likely going to stick with keyboard and mouse. I purchased a wireless gaming mouse that has the number keys on the side. It's compatible with both my PC and my macbook, so I'll have some consistency, and I can save myself from having to use the touchpad mouse on my macbook.

Anybody have any experience with using the number pad mouses?

I tried grinding today for an hour and my fingers were aching. Basically, I was trying to keep at least one finger on the 'wasd' keys so that I could find my way back when using the '1-9' keys for my rotation, making me stretch my fingers out in a very unnatural and uncomfortable way. xD

The doesn't run very smoothly on my mac, even after I lowered some of the settings. I get the feel from the forum threads I read about Mac support that the support just really isn't there. ESO is a demanding game, and the natural specs of a macbook are not really enough to run the game smoothly. I'm still learning though! I'm trying to adapt.

Tbh, I'm a little disheartened with ZOS right now though with all the loot crate stuff. On top of that, I'm feeling a little betrayed by the form in which the weapon ultimates are going live. Not sure how much more I can take before I cold-turkey quit the game and move on to something else (whatever that something else is).
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you mean you did a complete transfer? Like abandoning your ps4 account for good? :o
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DannyLV702 No. I wish. I just started over. It's given me a new sense of thrill, trying to level up a lowbie without CP.

I have nothing better to do. On PS4, I'm at almost 700 CP. I'm a 9 trait crafter with all the motifs, and I make and spend gold on useless things for entertainment (like refining raw materials to hope I get lucky with RNG).

I prefer and play mostly magicka types, so I don't really belong in PvP anymore (since the last 6 months and the next 4). PvE might be interesting, but it involves some degree of commitment with a group of people or a guild that you can regularly play with. I don't really have that sense of commitment anymore, since many of the other aspects of the game: progression, PvP, crafting, are no longer there.

So I just log on to PS4 upgrade my horses, and I do a couple of dailies. I'll probably be back when One Tamriel drops just long enough to grind out some of the new overland sets, like Lich (and jewelry) and learn the new motifs.

If over time, I can 'catch' up to my PS4 account on PC, I might as well stay there. They have addons. The performance is generally better with good hardware. Streaming is easier, and most importantly, I would no longer have to pay the $50-$60 on the playstation sub just to play ESO.

Only thing I feel is better on PS4 is PvP, since we don't have to deal with macro players and cheat engine users. In terms of everything else, console is genuinely a second-rate version of the game...
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    @DannyLV702 No. I wish. I just started over. It's given me a new sense of thrill, trying to level up a lowbie without CP.

I have nothing better to do. On PS4, I'm at almost 700 CP. I'm a 9 trait crafter with all the motifs, and I make and spend gold on useless things for entertainment (like refining raw materials to hope I get lucky with RNG).

I prefer and play mostly magicka types, so I don't really belong in PvP anymore (since the last 6 months and the next 4). PvE might be interesting, but it involves some degree of commitment with a group of people or a guild that you can regularly play with. I don't really have that sense of commitment anymore, since many of the other aspects of the game: progression, PvP, crafting, are no longer there.

So I just log on to PS4 upgrade my horses, and I do a couple of dailies. I'll probably be back when One Tamriel drops just long enough to grind out some of the new overland sets, like Lich (and jewelry) and learn the new motifs.

If over time, I can 'catch' up to my PS4 account on PC, I might as well stay there. They have addons. The performance is generally better with good hardware. Streaming is easier, and most importantly, I would no longer have to pay the $50-$60 on the playstation sub just to play ESO.

Only thing I feel is better on PS4 is PvP, since we don't have to deal with macro players and cheat engine users. In terms of everything else, console is genuinely a second-rate version of the game...

The only thing keeping me to this game is the pvp, so it'd be impossible for me to ever start over, that's crazy! Magic users definitely still have a place in pvp. I picked up my old magic sorc again after months of not bringing him into pvp, and he is a monster! But if pvp isn't your biggest motive, I can understand how it can be fun to start all over again. I also love console pvp because it's a more guaranteed age zone from cheating. At least as far as we know...

Oh well, at least you're not quitting the game! I hate seeing people quit this awesome game :(
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC, my priorities have changed a lot.

1. I don't care about the motifs at all. What's the point of having styles when there's no transmog or restyle feature? What's the point of crafting when there are so many alternatives that can be farmed and have jewelry (unlike crafting)? It cost so much in resources to make end-game gear, nobody would really change it's style for purely fashion reasons. Plus, you're locked into a heavy chest in most builds and medium legs. You're locked into atrocious monster pieces in most build, and you're forced to mismatch with drop set gear that has a set style.

2. Being a 9 trait crafter is nice, but all you really need is 6 traits, and that takes a couple of months. The BiS crafted gear sets in most cases are Julianos and Hundings Rage. For a semi-casual/semi-serious, you're golden with those and the drop sets that you can get in the overland.

3. I don't care about buying DLCs. When I first started playing ESO, I thought that buying DLCs was a sign of commitment, because you're in for the long-haul, compared to the short-term sub. As the DLCs came out, I'd buy them, thinking I was supporting the game and showing that I'm willing to pay the big price (DLCs) versus the little one (the sub). Then they introduced crafting bags, and almost necessary feature (for sanity). So on the PC version, I've vowed never to buy the DLCs and just sub on-and-off as I need to access the different DLC versions (for their quest lines in TG and DB) and for grinding (Wrothgar and IC).

4. Crown items are kinda a joke now. The really nice stuff is going to be locked behind an RNG crate box, so for those of us who don't like gambling, we'll be stuck with only the second-rate crown items, and we'll have to pay a premium for it, judging from the general increase in price of their items.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I found a hard copy version of the game for $18 that included the Explorer's Edition on Amazon, and I made the leap. The EE was the selling point since I got the 'any race, any alliance' unlock and a bunch of treasure maps that used to be garbage but now might be useful when one tamriel drops. I'm also just really excited to try out my new self-made pc with a game that I know and love. 1070 + ultrawide monitor here I come. =)

However, switching from ps4 to pc has been pretty difficult. what are some real quality of life recommendations for playing on pc?

Some topics:
    - Controller Support - not quite there yet. I can't use a ps4 controller, so I'm worried my brain will explode if I have to alternate from an Xbox to ps4 controller every time I want to play on different accounts. Plus, I also downloaded the game on my laptop, a non-gaming friendly Macbook pro, which has no controller support. (so might as well learn keyboard). Are there any easy to use, non technical, 3rd party softwares that can allow ps4 controller support?

- Key Binding omg you guys. My fingers are starting to cramp... What are some highly common keybind changes from the defaults? I seriously find myself going through the entire alphabet trying to find my freaking skill list. What's up with that dodge roll?! And how am I supposed to move my small hands from wasd to the number keys up top on a giant gaming keyboard fluidly without looking down? Lol

- Addons : I went a little add on crazy when I downloaded the game... I was the most decked out level 8 no cp player haha. But then I realized many of them were outdated. =( I particularly really wanted one that helped me track my trait research. I left behind a 9 trait crafter on ps4. Esoui doesn't really have an easy way of showing what apps are current. How to deal with that?

- Master Merchant: OK... Wtf. It's nice, but it feels like I'm playing freaking master merchant online with all the damn price checks and ***. The economy is taking some getting used to, and I'm annoyed when people can't tell me from their memory what things are worth. On ps4 you have to know all that.

- How to make money? On ps4, I could make millions from buying cheap and selling high. On pc it doesn't seem to be so, because of mm. There also seems to be just a flood of stuff available, higher supply equals lower cost. I've gotten by so far selling flowers and doing some motif farming (dro mathra, order of the hour, and minotaur), but the one free guild trader guild I'm in doesn't have a trader right now. Since the buying power of gold is higher on pc, I was thinking it might be more lucrative to find a way to make direct gold, like pickpocketing, assassinating, and locked chest picking... Thoughts?

- Guilds: they're everywhere XD I joined 5 in like 10 minutes in Davons Watch. Kinda overwhelming.

- Text chat: what planet am I on? It's so different! Every one is making long two or three sentence comments in zone chat about something philosophical or perverted. Guild chat is super vibrant and distracting. I don't really feel I know anybody yet, because they're just some name next to some letters. I haven't really taken the time to set up a headset on pc (ps4 gold headset didn't work when i plugged it in) to run team speak, ventrillo, or discord. Why so many different ones? Sheesh.

This is my culture shock. I would really appreciate any tips and tricks that will make my PC gaming life easier.

I'm a level 20 magicka Templar healer/dps, if anyone wants to team up. It'd be cool if there were any peeps that are from pc switching to console so we could do some quid pro quo kind of thing (like I craft you armor on ps4 if you craft me armor on pc).

*Please excuse my typos or poor formatting. This was written from my phone, while in bed at 3am in my pjs. I woke up in the midding of the night, and I couldn't fall back to sleep. =)

keybiddings, you have to find your own :), I definitelly recommend switching the quickslot key "Q" by default, to "F2" for example, as I was always pressing the Q by mistake, when I moved forward.

for Addons to track your trait research progress, I use "Trait buddy", that is great
    check this for the best addons:
    https://mods.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/downloads
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/151621/must-have-add-ons
    http://play2win.tv/columns/teso-nation/top-50-must-have-eso-addons/

also "Poison tracker" and "Potion maker" are nice. "Destinations" and "FTC", also "Wykkyd tollbar" are good.
    "Master merchant" and "Awesome guildstore" - everyone is using them, they are great
    If you plan to use many addons, then this one is a must "Shissu's LUA Memory" - it increases the availiable memory for addons

best way to earn money, as far as I know (but there might be better ways of course), farm alchemy mats (because of poisons and crafting bags prices of some of them are really high, farm higher level mats, rare motifs, craft best crafted sets and sell it, I am not sure if IC trophies sell still high, as with the Update 12 change to them and to the IC vaults, the pricess will fall pretty much, but until that date I guess they should sell good...

anyone some others?
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @altemriel thanks for the tips. I was wondering why I was getting some kind of LUA memory error. I thought it was because I was using a low grade video card while I wait for my 1070 to arrive.

I saw that somebody recommended "Wykkyd toolbar," but when I extracted the file, it just had a ton of folders, and I wasn't really sure what it was. What does it do exactly?

I'll definitely use "trait buddy." It's like my number 1 priority to be as efficient as possible with my traits. I need to get to at least 3 traits so I can start crafting my own gear for leveling to cr 160.

Believe it or not, but I've been doing exactly that for profit, farming reagents. Unfortunately, I don't have the best guild traders right now, so they sell slowly. Still, I've been able to make enough gold to buy a few bank space upgrades and recipes to get my provisioning to 50.

I can see how pressing "Q" could be problematic. It would make me use food or potions unnecessarily. Here's one that I have a lot of trouble with: command. It's like so far away from the 'wasd' keys and the number keys, I have to literally look down to find it, and by then, I'm no longer stunned.

Edited by Pandorii on September 27, 2016 7:46AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What!? You're leaving us!!!!

Nooooo :cry:

You will be missed..... :heartbreak:
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vaoh I'll be back every once in a while. Plus, you'll still be able to find me in the forums. <3
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vaoh I'll be back every once in a while. Plus, you'll still be able to find me in the forums. <3

Yeah I guess. Still it's sad to hear though :/ anyways good for you! Hope you like it and actually get to play at or above 30FPS for once!
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding keybindings; I use a razer naga and bind skills 1-4 to buttons 1-4 on the mouse. Button 5 on the mouse is my weapon swap, mouse wheel up is my roll-dodge, mouse wheel to the left is my sneak, mouse wheel down is my activate synergy. Skill 5 I bound to left ctrl on the keyboard. Button 8 on the mouse is my break-free/bash. These are obviously my choices and I'm not suggesting you do the same, but I never have to take my hands of wasd with this setup, and most of the buttons I need are under my right thumb.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on September 27, 2016 8:21AM
    PC | EU
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding keybindings; I use a razer naga and bind skills 1-4 to buttons 1-4 on the mouse. Button 5 on the mouse is my weapon swap, mouse wheel up is my roll-dodge, mouse wheel to the left is my sneak, mouse wheel down is my activate synergy. Skill 5 I bound to left ctrl on the keyboard. Button 8 on the mouse is my break-free/bash. These are obviously my choices and I'm not suggesting you do the same, but I never have to take my hands of wasd with this setup, and most of the buttons I need are under my right thumb.

tyvm @FriedEggSandwich! It's definitely worth a shot. I'd love to not have to take my hands off of wasd!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @altemriel thanks for the tips. I was wondering why I was getting some kind of LUA memory error. I thought it was because I was using a low grade video card while I wait for my 1070 to arrive.

I saw that somebody recommended "Wykkyd toolbar," but when I extracted the file, it just had a ton of folders, and I wasn't really sure what it was. What does it do exactly?

I'll definitely use "trait buddy." It's like my number 1 priority to be as efficient as possible with my traits. I need to get to at least 3 traits so I can start crafting my own gear for leveling to cr 160.

Believe it or not, but I've been doing exactly that for profit, farming reagents. Unfortunately, I don't have the best guild traders right now, so they sell slowly. Still, I've been able to make enough gold to buy a few bank space upgrades and recipes to get my provisioning to 50.

I can see how pressing "Q" could be problematic. It would make me use food or potions unnecessarily. Here's one that I have a lot of trouble with: command. It's like so far away from the 'wasd' keys and the number keys, I have to literally look down to find it, and by then, I'm no longer stunned.

use Minion for management of addons - it is a free software, and most of the addons are to be found there, you can download, re-instal, update, uninstal them there

only if you will not find the addon trought Minion, then instal them manually!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"command", which one do you mean? I probably never used that one
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

check this out, they show there the Wykkyd toolbar addon, and also the minion (Wykkyd toolbar is the row in the total top of the screen there).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IPlmm4jqtc

info: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info737-WykkydToolbar.html
    Edited by altemriel on September 27, 2016 9:29AM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just remember that you are experiencing growing pains due to the natural evolution you going though. Better to evolve than devolve amirite?

Stay there.... stay as long as you can and don't look back.