Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people hate tanks in PVP

• jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    @jhharvest ......XD yeah i get hyped up somtimes. have a hard time getting my thoughts out of my brain and into the screen. i am a nice guy i promise. just don't like being called a bad player because i choose to build a tank!...i got tired of the DPS race in PVP and PVE, so i created a tank. and i became the best damn tank i could in my early days.
    Yeah, I hear you. The DPS race and burst meta is silly. And I don't doubt for a second that you're a very good player. It just doesn't seem like it'd be much fun playing against you or your 8 man teams of [SNIP] kick ass. :)
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on September 28, 2016 3:11PM
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no...but like i said, i have embraced the troll XD
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate the idea of tanks in pvp. But as a solo player, running into a group with a tank or even worse 2 tanks keeping each other alive is just annoying. They won't be able to kill me and I probably won't be able to kill them so I just running away.

I'm looking at you magicka Templar tank team I fought in ic last week
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nlevesque3 wrote: »
    Reading this thread has convinced me that the truly great players don't post on the forums much :P

uwotm8?
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks have little to no use pvp - and they become useful in the opposite situation where i personally think they should be useful.

The only time tanky players become a threat is when they show up in a grp of enemies outnumbering your own grp of players a lot and are:
    a) able to heal their allies while being almost unkillable themselves
    b) able to spam different forms of cc

The problem being that a tank has no purpose in fights where the opponent is not outnumbered. Being outnumbered isn´t fun in itself. Loosing that fight because of builds that only work in that scenario is probably the most annoying thing that can happen in pvp.

Last but not least you have the players that build a tank simply to annoy other players by being unkillable - guess why people don´t like those :trollface:

In my opinion tanks should scale better with the number of players attacking them (or their allies) instead with the number of allies around. The current way of working seems counterintuitive.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• nlevesque3
    nlevesque3
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Reading this thread has convinced me that the truly great players don't post on the forums much :P

uwotm8?

lol I was just teasing - I haven't seen baconlad and others comment much but he is dead on on the role and tactics of a tank. Makes me wonder how many exceptional players are out there that aren't active on the forums.
    Keir
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

uwotm8?

lol I was just teasing - I haven't seen baconlad and others comment much but he is dead on on the role and tactics of a tank. Makes me wonder how many exceptional players are out there that aren't active on the forums.

More than you might think. Through some good timing and well procced buffs, @Master_Kas managed to land a 21k meteor on my tank with 33k spell resists. That was some exceptional stuff right there.

Thanks for that by the way, you poopy head.

Edit: Oh, you said that AREN'T active on the forums. Good point
    Edited by Alucardo on September 28, 2016 1:08PM
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

uwotm8?

More than you might think. Through some good timing and well procced buffs, @Master_Kas managed to land a 21k meteor on my tank with 33k spell resists. That was some exceptional stuff right there.

Lol that was you? Penetration and crit damage OP :trollface:
    EU | PC
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »

uwotm8?

Lol that was you? Penetration and crit damage OP :trollface:

Yeah it was xD
    Even emperors struggle getting 13k on me. Well impressed gg
  • SkylarkX
    SkylarkX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Proper tanking requires that the tank be doing something for the group, for example a high health high mag regen DK should be spamming talons, the longer he can hold out the more talons get spammed! For blazing tanks their purpose is to divert the attention of the enemy raid so that allies can focus targets, blazing tanks do this by becoming the absolute most threatening thing on the field. Many groups like to say they aren't stupid enough to target the blazing tank but the truth is, even the most organized raids end up hitting the tank long enough to get one or even two shield pops before realizing he's a shield plar, by that time the shield tank has already done enough damage to equal roughly two proxy sets...from one toon in two seconds. Blazing tanks in a raid ball for enemy raid to not stack on top of the shieldplars raid, forcing good raids to spread out, allowing the shieldplars buddies to focus down a single target instead of just AOE spamming the raid. Most primary target being the healers...soo we have role, its a damn good one, and its not easy to play properly...

Also when us blazing tanks are running solo or zerg surfing uncoordinated, we are just out right TROLLS, and happily claim the title

Agree 100%. A proper tank provides tangible benefits to a group and has the potential to control a battle and its outcome by holding the vanguard of an encounter, drawing attacks, limiting enemy mobility and setting up power plays for the rest of the group.
    Derra wrote: »
    Tanks have little to no use pvp - and they become useful in the opposite situation where i personally think they should be useful.

The only time tanky players become a threat is when they show up in a grp of enemies outnumbering your own grp of players a lot and are:

The problem being that a tank has no purpose in fights where the opponent is not outnumbered. Being outnumbered isn´t fun in itself. Loosing that fight because of builds that only work in that scenario is probably the most annoying thing that can happen in pvp.

Last but not least you have the players that build a tank simply to annoy other players by being unkillable - guess why people don´t like those :trollface:

In my opinion tanks should scale better with the number of players attacking them (or their allies) instead with the number of allies around. The current way of working seems counterintuitive.

Disagree 99%. Tanks can play a big role especially when facing an opposing force much larger than their own.. (im not talking about neverdie malubeth builds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F5np6SYTo0

Nocturnal - Oceanic PvX Guild
    Skylärk / Dunmer DK
    Skylårk / Bosmer NB
    Skylörd / Khajiit Sorcerer
    Elizabeth Skylark / Breton Templar
    PC/NA/AD
  • nlevesque3
    nlevesque3
    ✭✭
    SkylarkX wrote: »

I agree with your comment, but I think your microphone picked up your fax machine and dial-up modem or something in that video @1:00
    Edited by nlevesque3 on September 28, 2016 1:27PM
    Keir
  • SkylarkX
    SkylarkX
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkylarkX wrote: »

I agree with your comment, but I think your microphone picked up your fax machine and dial-up modem or something in that video @1:00

Judging by the ping it was probably the dial up reconnecting :D
    Nocturnal - Oceanic PvX Guild
    Skylärk / Dunmer DK
    Skylårk / Bosmer NB
    Skylörd / Khajiit Sorcerer
    Elizabeth Skylark / Breton Templar
    PC/NA/AD
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

As I said, there are two types of tanks

- Utility tanks (useful)
    - Block tanks that walk around doing nothing (not useful)

We won an outnumbered fight yesterday while I was tanking a bunch of players with blazing shield and another sieged them. With the damage from the siege and my blazing shield they literally all fell around me. Then the DPS ran from back lines and helped clean up the stragglers.
    This is a good scenario of where tanks are useful. If the DPS had just run straight into that zerg they would have got obliterated. I can obviously do other things like purify and CC enemies so much they want to attack me
  • Dulkur
    Dulkur
    ✭✭✭
    In Cyrodiil I don't mind them, but playing in IC I have no respect for someone running the Full Tanking builds that have to rely on someone or something else to deal damage for a kill. If you have stacked so much armor, block, and self healing there is no point in me fighting you, your just a mobile pest.

And I have been in good fights with people that have maxed armor and 3k crit resistance, its the people that just go full defensive that are impossible to kill, and when I ignore them follow me around preventing me from zoning to a new area, I have had a tank build I was ignoring while killing mobs in the Temple District follow me around for 10 minutes continuing to attack and CC me until another faction came along and killed me.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dulkur wrote: »
    In Cyrodiil I don't mind them, but playing in IC I have no respect for someone running the Full Tanking builds that have to rely on someone or something else to deal damage for a kill. If you have stacked so much armor, block, and self healing there is no point in me fighting you, your just a mobile pest.

And I have been in good fights with people that have maxed armor and 3k crit resistance, its the people that just go full defensive that are impossible to kill, and when I ignore them follow me around preventing me from zoning to a new area, I have had a tank build I was ignoring while killing mobs in the Temple District follow me around for 10 minutes continuing to attack and CC me until another faction came along and killed me.

I'll admit I grind my tank in IC when I need some tel var, mainly so I don't get one shot by nightblades on my medium armor guy and lose what I worked for. Having said that, I won't bother picking fights with people, because well, tank.
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    We have removed several posts from this thread for violating or forum rules.
    Inappropriate content , Profanity, and Bashing are never allowed on the forums.

Please continue to post constructively with our Guidelines in mind.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My stam DK has better resource management, and survivability than he does in medium, and really the damage difference isn't that different in PvP either. They've been way over buffed, and next update they're going to be even more insane. Yay....