The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Something drastic needs to change

Alucardo
Alucardo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Lately I haven't been able to enjoy myself. I'm switching from campaign to campaign trying to escape the lag. What's the point in having a home campaign if I can't even use it? Our guild decided to put together a little group and enjoy some pvp, but there was 2-4 second delays before skills would go off in True Flame, so we tried Ebony Blade, but there was barely anything there. Azuras was pretty well populated, but obviously no CP isn't for everyone.
I know you're working on a "fix", but at the moment it's not acceptable. When I said drastic in the title, I meant splitting True Flame into 2 campaigns and lowering the poplock to a smaller number. It's obvious that campaign can't handle the population it has at the moment, so why not reduce it slightly and just split the campaigns?

Some other people mentioned a while ago "instancing" Cyrodiil. While this is far from an optimal solution, it might help in the meantime while you work on fixing whatever the real problem is. Instances could happen between milegates or something.

I appreciate you actively working to fix the lag, but it's really not OK to leave it in this state while you do so, because it's obviously not going to be an overnight thing. If anyone else has ideas, please share them below.
Edited by Alucardo on September 25, 2016 1:42PM
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe the lies about working on fixing the lag. Every dlc or patch make it worse. The thing is, they don't know how to fix it. If they did it would have been fixed by now. It would be fair if they told us the truth, but that isn't going to happen. Just pay for eso+ accept the insane lag and buy more mounts, customs and paints.
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    100 population per alliance, 6 keeps, no emp, no siege, no doors, ALL OUT WAR FOR THE FLAGS!
    Edited by Qwazzy on September 27, 2016 11:49PM
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    pop cap reduced to 80 to balance out the servers and reduce lags

ic a seperate zone so the cap is balanced

animation cancelling fixed to reduce lag

bring back deer to cyrodiil, it was never their fault

i only go to trueflame after midnight and only get lag around animation cancellers even if its a random 1v1, its the same in blackwater. both these campaigns are very fun and competetive but i generally pve in the evenings coz don't fancy zergs and lags.

tbh though lag is better in the main campaign since azura was made non-cp
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is the amount of data running through the servers to your connection.
    They get stuck in a funnel, because too much data wants to get through at the same time.

Those large zergs in (almost) all EU servers are causing this issue. A lot of players within render range means a lot of data needs to be sent from and to your PC to make everybodies game be the same.
    What happens often (I have seen this from lots of pvp experience) is that abilities get stuck in this funnel and seem to be in a queue. So when you ressurect at a keep, it e.g. suddenly activates your ultimate seconds (if not minutes) after you pressed the button. Simply because that data was stuck in that funnel or dataqueue.

This explains the lag you are experiencing. The fast amount of players on screen are actually mini-ddossing the servers and causing queues for data. Which could mean life or death for you as a player.

(correct me if I am wrong)
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    The problem is the amount of data running through the servers to your connection.
    They get stuck in a funnel, because too much data wants to get through at the same time.

The problem is not the amount of data, if you monitor your network you will see that ESO is not that much data. The problem is the time that the server takes to process it, that is why in previous patches they changed how some abilities are processed (how the server calculate paths in gapclosers, how to select targets for abilities that affect X ammount of players, how bonuses are applied to calculate the actual damage of abilities, etc) to reduce the lag.
    Their server side code is simple to slow for the amount of players that populated campaigns have, they need to optimize their code, even adding more servers/bandwidth won't help if their system is not ready to scale horizontally.

IMHO: At this point, if they haven't been able to solve the problem, most likely they never will, no without a complete rewrite of their networking and server-side code. At best they can improve small things to mitigate the problem a little bit, but eventually they will hit a wall (if they haven't already..).
    Edited by ManDraKE on October 12, 2016 7:39PM
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    LAG has been here since the beginning and it will never leave. They picked a crappy engine to base the game on and until they change that nothing will improve.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno if I'm just misinterpreting this but isn't cyro kind of instanced anyway?

There's been times when my group and I have been riding and suddenly we all auto-dismount at a specific place - not at the same time, either.

My knowledge of technical stuff is *** so this may be something else but to me it seems like a sort of instance.
  • Pirhana7_ESO
    Pirhana7_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Lately I haven't been able to enjoy myself. I'm switching from campaign to campaign trying to escape the lag. What's the point in having a home campaign if I can't even use it? Our guild decided to put together a little group and enjoy some pvp, but there was 2-4 second delays before skills would go off in True Flame, so we tried Ebony Blade, but there was barely anything there. Azuras was pretty well populated, but obviously no CP isn't for everyone.
    I know you're working on a "fix", but at the moment it's not acceptable. When I said drastic in the title, I meant splitting True Flame into 2 campaigns and lowering the poplock to a smaller number. It's obvious that campaign can't handle the population it has at the moment, so why not reduce it slightly and just split the campaigns?

Some other people mentioned a while ago "instancing" Cyrodiil. While this is far from an optimal solution, it might help in the meantime while you work on fixing whatever the real problem is. Instances could happen between milegates or something.

I appreciate you actively working to fix the lag, but it's really not OK to leave it in this state while you do so, because it's obviously not going to be an overnight thing. If anyone else has ideas, please share them below.

The lag problem will never go away because the engine was never created to be able to handle large seige battles. GW2 had the same problem. This is why most of us are just dealing with ESO while we wait for Camelot Unchained to be finished next year. Camelot Unchained had a custom engine build just for massive seige warfare battles and aimed to run with no FPS drop with 500 ppl fights They had something like a 1000 characters in an alpha test battle spamming spells and it was still playable. It will be the same 3way fight but between Vikings, King Aurthur, and the Celtic / Irish and using all or their mythology and lore. 30 classes and a crafter class that makes all gear and structures in the game. Siege warfare only progression. and the fight is not only over land but also resources within them for your crafters to use.