Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people hate tanks in PVP

Alucardo
Alucardo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Serious question. Ever since I started playing a utility tank for the first time in PVP (Purify, heal debuffs, AOE damage) I've received a lot more hate whispers than usual. While I usually just brush them off, it's becoming increasingly annoying. As long as a tank is providing some usefulness in PVP and not just standing there holding their block button, I think they're very helpful.
Most of the hate comes from stamina guys saying I wouldn't beat them in a 1v1 with their magicka character, which is a very odd thing to say to a tank.
Pretty interested to see what the rest of you think of them.
  • Malitias
    Malitias
    ✭✭
    -Inset random "salty" gif-
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malitias wrote: »
    -Inset random "salty" gif-

giphy.gif
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are just bad; there is a discussion on the WoW forums about this very subject where a lot of dps in that game think tanks should only be in PvE....

You just get some huge morons in these games who don't grasp pvp or classes
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    some people can't grasp the idea of someone they can't kill or kill easily. I don't mind tanks because usually once I identify them and know they can't kill me, I use them to build my ultimate or get resources back to kill their friends :smile:
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so I as mostly glass cannon, without sustain on longer open fight I can tell you how people with build like me can feel it :P

especjally heavy armor dk or magica templar is the worst nightmare in 1vs1, as for us 1vs1 you have not only better resource managment, mostly you are nonstop on block, we cant burst you down....ehh its impossible to kill dk tank if you are not also in heavy armor and you are a common player :p

in shortcut: you as dk tank you are like godmode for common players on pvp.

They will never kill you 1vs1 but they will always die in 1vs1 by you, also if you are experienced you will dont have any problem to kill all 1vs10 if they all are common pugs, trust me, I know what Im writing ;p

dk tank on pvp I think is the best choice for that solo playing etc...only problem you have you cant run like sorc and nb but thanks this you have this power in heavy armor to survive almost all you you arnt nuked by good player/zerg ;P

they are my observations about tank dk :P

on the way....also just look on duels, with most fight with nb, sorc, someotimes templars fights arent to long, but fi you look on dk tank vs dk tank fights are very long in compare to rest
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs. Thats why I hate tanks.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because they cannot one-shot you with 1 button . That is why . Continue playing tank and spread the hate and cancer !

I play a DK tank also . It is insanely useful in PvP but that is not the main reason of having fun . It is the hate whispers and duel invitations .

Sometimes , I throw myself between my buddies and enemy so I can take the damage . One day , this dude seriously reported me and my friend because he thought I was using Surprise Attack and my NB friend was using Volatile Armor . *salt intensifies*

You must *** people off . If you are getting hate whispers , then it means you are a good tank .
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    Because they cannot one-shot you with 1 button . That is why . Continue playing tank and spread the hate and cancer !

I play a DK tank also . It is insanely useful in PvP but that is not the main reason of having fun . It is the hate whispers and duel invitations .

Sometimes , I throw myself between my buddies and enemy so I can take the damage . One day , this dude seriously reported me and my friend because he thought I was using Surprise Attack and my NB friend was using Volatile Armor . *salt intensifies*

You must *** people off . If you are getting hate whispers , then it means you are a good tank .

I don't actually enjoy the hate whispers, and although I've only been playing tank for a week now I was wanting to stop it was getting so bad. I still got rage tells on my DPS, but no where near as many as I'm getting now.
    It's sad, because out of all my builds, this is the one I'm enjoying the most, and feel it's the most effective especially when it comes to small group play.
    Maybe I'll just stick with it and start reporting people if it gets any worse. I don't mind getting called a noob, but some of the other stuff is completely off the charts.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The armored tracks are annoyingly noisy.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think there are the impatient players who hate not being able to do much damage to another player and they moan about it. But concerning the current game, you can be tanky and still deal tons of damage or heal indefinitely, and that's worth complaining about. Bad balance.

rip decibel
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because they cannot be one shot, that's why people hate tanks

when actually forced to fight, they fail.
    Edited by Wing on September 24, 2016 8:47AM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alucardo
    on start with tank build dk I hate them with my playing style....but after some duels also with those tanks I have changed my opinion about this.....now I see its however balanced..almost...ok, Im not able to kill them when they are on sustain build :p , Im on burst buidl without good sustain to open longer fighs so now I dont have with this probple...problem I have more with (I dont know what are those build but) tank and damage? build, just dueled some with few dk...all on black rose....
    1 with shield magica dk...he has 35k health, was builded on tank....perm block and how he hiting me for about 6-7k with leap? on tank build while I have hitting him by surpsie attack on glass cannon for maybe 6k or less when you not blocking

2nd dk, also with shielb but with 2h on dps...black rose ofc...not only he hitting me very hard, dont know how...but he has similair damage to me on max burst build while he was in black rose...heavy armor + very great resorce managament thanks black rose...
    I dont have nothing to normal tankly build dk but how dk in heavy armor, black rose, great resource return how he can hit me harder than I can hit him?
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was funny a group of us was trying to kill this one guy who was spamming block and drinking immovable pots. While he could not do bugger damage neither could we until he ran out of resources.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »
    @Alucardo
    on start with tank build dk I hate them with my playing style....but after some duels also with those tanks I have changed my opinion about this.....now I see its however balanced..almost...ok, Im not able to kill them when they are on sustain build :p , Im on burst buidl without good sustain to open longer fighs so now I dont have with this probple...problem I have more with (I dont know what are those build but) tank and damage? build, just dueled some with few dk...all on black rose....
    1 with shield magica dk...he has 35k health, was builded on tank....perm block and how he hiting me for about 6-7k with leap? on tank build while I have hitting him by surpsie attack on glass cannon for maybe 6k or less when you not blocking

2nd dk, also with shielb but with 2h on dps...black rose ofc...not only he hitting me very hard, dont know how...but he has similair damage to me on max burst build while he was in black rose...heavy armor + very great resorce managament thanks black rose...
    I dont have nothing to normal tankly build dk but how dk in heavy armor, black rose, great resource return how he can hit me harder than I can hit him?

The problem with them builds is that they aren't real tanks. They are just regular stamina heavy armor DKs with DPS, but have the added bonus of being "tanky". They wouldn't survive when surrounded by like 8 people because they'd run out of resources, but in a 1v1 you can barely dent them.
    Even a full medium armor guy with max weapon damage will have trouble taking one of those down. I can see why people would have a problem with them kind of builds, but in the end, it isn't their fault. It's just the way the game is heading by allowing them to get away with crap like this.
    I'm of the opinion that, to be tanky, you need to give things up. For me, I give up magicka, stamina and damage. I still dish out quite a bit of damage with blazing shield, but I have to manage my resources very carefully, and my single target DPS is just atrocious of course. Heavy armor stamina DKs don't give up much at all. Maybe a little regen, but they have black rose to cover them there.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigma957 wrote: »
    Was funny a group of us was trying to kill this one guy who was spamming block and drinking immovable pots. While he could not do bugger damage neither could we until he ran out of resources.

Yeah, them kind of tanks I see no point in PVP. He'd do great in dungeons, but not really helping his team mates out by standing there holding block.
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not care less about a tank build. Ill just ignore tham , maybe run in circles around them and spam some fancy emote while they try to deal damage to me.
    What annoys me however is those "tanks" that just slapped on 1 or 2 defensive sets (reactive, malubeth, etc.) and run around spamming whatever annoyance they seem fit (usually BoL) while their DPS buddies (try to) beat on me.
    However, I'm not one to send hate whispers, so I'm probably not part of the people you are looking for answers from.
    I do enjoy asking poeple for more teabagging after they 4v1'd me though, especially when they do a sloppy job of it (both parts).
    Jo'Khaljor
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are alot of the hate whispers from NB?

I get alot of easy kills when NB ganks fail to kill me in 1 burst.
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont hate them, the ulti generation they provide to us is key to a healthy gameplay
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate nightblades the most. God damn ganking roaches
  • Countcalorie
    Countcalorie
    ✭✭✭

true dude. I was looking in my inventory when I got ambushed by an nb, long story short I. healed to full and got him with 2-3 jabs and an Rd. Hate mail was as followed: You S**t F**k. End of msg.
    BtY I dont use reactive it Does'nt even look that good unless your a blazing shield temp.
    Truth is if you kill someone as a templer you get called a Rd spammer even If you killed them with jabs.That and with the recent Knowledge that Mag Dk is getting a buff in update 13 is why Im trying to pvp on my first char.(and I heard there good for duels)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah Nightblades and Stam sorcs mostly
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Serious question. Ever since I started playing a utility tank for the first time in PVP (Purify, heal debuffs, AOE damage) I've received a lot more hate whispers than usual. While I usually just brush them off, it's becoming increasingly annoying. As long as a tank is providing some usefulness in PVP and not just standing there holding their block button, I think they're very helpful.
    Most of the hate comes from stamina guys saying I wouldn't beat them in a 1v1 with their magicka character, which is a very odd thing to say to a tank.
    Pretty interested to see what the rest of you think of them.

Earlier I just started to put people who are too salty to my ignore list, some people are just never satisfied, or some are just immature kids, who like to complain to people just to vent out their frustration from life....

If you are a good tank, then just ignore them ;)

A good tank is always helpful. Once I saw a video on youtube of some guy doing awesome tanking, with like 50K health and did also decent damage, this month I saw a video of an another tank, who was so cool, he was able to get into a tower and withstand like 5 or 7 people constantly attacking him and he killed them all at the end :). That is what I cal lTanking :).

You are not new here at all, so I bet you know how to do that, so just screw the whiners ;)
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on September 24, 2016 2:13PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate tanks in PvP. Just hate Blazing Shield builds. That ability needs a major nerf. Being able to 10k+ damage to all players in a Radius bigger than Steel Tornado while having 65k is no way balanced. Especially since they usually also have Guard on a nearby DD.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this to PvP Combat & Skills.
    Staff Post
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate tanks in PvP.

THe problem that I have is that several set combinations are far too powerful on a heavy armor build because they give sustain and basically invincibility.

Black Rose is overperforming.

Reactive +malubeth is stupidly overperforming.

Wait until 1T though, and you'll be able to run malubeth+black rose+reactive.

I'm happy that Heavy Armor is an option now, believe me I am. I just feel that certain sets are breaking the armor type.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    I don't hate tanks in PvP. Just hate Blazing Shield builds. That ability needs a major nerf. Being able to 10k+ damage to all players in a Radius bigger than Steel Tornado while having 65k is no way balanced. Especially since they usually also have Guard on a nearby DD.

I play in TF, the largest campaign on EU and I very rarely see Blazing Shield builds there. You have to give up a fair bit to run one of those and they are very specific. They're really useful to have in a team though.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play in TF, the largest campaign on EU and I very rarely see Blazing Shield builds there. You have to give up a fair bit to run one of those and they are very specific. They're really useful to have in a team though.

On NA however, there is one in every two groups.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On NA however, there is one in every two groups.

I can see how that might be a bit more of a problem for you over there then. But nerfing their only damaging ability is a bit rough. It would make them pretty much utterly useless. The main utility they have is running into a group, taking their damage and throwing it back for the rest to finish them off. Take that away and they are just another PVE tank.
    Edited by Alucardo on September 24, 2016 11:54AM
  • Countcalorie
    Countcalorie
    ✭✭✭
    If your having trouble with the bubble trouble builds the best thing to do is ignore. they rely on you to deal damage and look mighty confused when there just ignored.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your having trouble with the bubble trouble builds the best thing to do is ignore. they rely on you to deal damage and look mighty confused when there just ignored.

This is totally viable when they don't Guard some RD spammer or Saptank or a Talons/Encase spammer pal. In those cases, ignoring them can wipe full groups.