Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

help with mag sorc build

Bakven
Bakven
✭✭✭
I don't know anything about playing a mag sorc except how to fight against them. I main a mageblade and like the challenge of playing a magicka build in a stam meta. I made a breton sorc but haven't grinded him up yet. I'd like to know experienced mag sorcs ideas on gear and skills. I play aggressively and mostly solo or in small groups. Ideas on CP would also be appreciated but I can't see them being too much different.
EP NA Haderus
Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
Vash'rassa- Stamblade
-Tiffany - Stam DK
Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    It's usually some combination of:
    Crushing shock, Velocious, Frags, Mines, Streak
    Hardened, LA shield, Resto bubble, Entropy / Surge, flex
    Atro or Meteor or Negate for ulti, depending

5pc Julianos or Kags or some Magnus and Seducer if you're worried about sustain, or maybe Necropotence if you want bigger shields.

I think this covers maybe 75% of magicka sorc builds out there?
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, don't grind him up. Only you will know how you want to play Magicka Sorc, get into Blackwater Blade and do the random daily dungeons. Sorc has some amazing skills, I've found Shattering Prison and Defensive Rune to be 2 of my favourites. Don't copy paste someone else's build or follow the meta, you may find yourself bored and shelving the character if it doesn't feel like yours and all classes can be played in different ways and still be very, very effective.
    PC EU
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't wait to read the responses on this one...it's crazy, thought I had this character worked out months ago, not so much at the moment...great in a group - but, I'm candy for everyone solo now...

julianos, elegant, VD - i used to have a blast with the Phoenix set...

dawn's wrath, boundless storm, empowered ward, velecious (?) curse, shattering prison, power surge, crystal frags...I think those are all the class abilities I'm using...

oh yeah, cp heavy in elf born and spell penetration, also a bunch of cp into poison resistance...wearing a set of pajamas for armor can be rough at times...
    Edited by geonsocal on September 20, 2016 7:58AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Sludge04
    Sludge04
    ✭✭
    I've just reset my skills and am running with the below. I've changed from a Spell Power to Spell Critical set up sacrificing max SD of 4111 to now 3100 (2808 unbuffed with 72% crit chance on bar 2); for single targets the second bar delivers lots of damage very quickly, keep hitting Force Pulse and Mage's Wrath until your Frags proc. Lay down some Liquid Lightning too and you're away. In single player PVE it is immense it may be useful for PVP too, I haven't tried it, for dungeons and trials there is a lot of flipping between bars and I am more reliant on the first bar in most circumstances, it's the only way I can stay alive unfortunately.

Breton Sorcerer

5 x Julianos (3 Light, 1 Heavy, 1 Staff)
    1 x Kena Shoulders (Medium)
    2 x Elegant (Light)
    All Divine

3 x Willpower
    Spell Power Enchant

1st Bar
    Fire Destro - Increase critical chance
    Hardened Ward
    Dark Exchange
    Force Pulse
    Harness Magika
    Boundless Storm

2nd Bar
    Lightning Destro - Increase citical chance
    Liquid Lightning
    Force Pulse
    Crystal Frag
    Mage's Wrath
    Mage Light

Mundus Stone
    The Thief

My Champion Points have gone into the below:
    Bastion
    Spell Shield
    Increase Spell Penetration
    Reduce Spell Cost
    Increase Magika Recovery
    Destruction staff power and increase magika restored from heavy attacks

There's probably more but I can't think off the top of my head.

I'm forever changing my build so this will probably get tweaked going forward, I'm waiting on research to build 5 pieces Twice Born Star and see how that goes. I just finished researching 9 traits for Restro and Flame Staffs this morning so I can build a 5 piece set tonight and replace the Julianos gear.

Any advice on the second Mundus would be much appreciated.
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, don't grind him up. Only you will know how you want to play Magicka Sorc, get into Blackwater Blade and do the random daily dungeons. Sorc has some amazing skills, I've found Shattering Prison and Defensive Rune to be 2 of my favourites. Don't copy paste someone else's build or follow the meta, you may find yourself bored and shelving the character if it doesn't feel like yours and all classes can be played in different ways and still be very, very effective.

Trust me, I don't copy paste builds. What I'm looking for is a general idea of what gear would be best if it's different from what I usually use. And when I ask about skills it's to see if there are any must haves on sorcs. I hate cookie cutter builds and will even gimp myself a bit (not too much) to break away from them. I can guarantee you won't see a mageblade build like mine, but I want the same uniqueness to any build I do. Sorc just happens to be the next magicka one I want.
    EP NA Haderus

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    @Sludge04 If you run TBS use the Thief and Shadow mundus. But TBS isn't really good for pvp, no matter how good it is for pve
    EP NA Haderus

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imho mag sorcs can do one of three things to be successful:

1) play in groups, build around the strength of your negate. really do something different from typical solo builds that are all over youtube and forums. I don't want to disclose my exact build, I'm that happy with it.

2) build for 1v1, maybe 1v2 with slightly more magicka regen than a typical duel build. attack try to draw enemies away from their zerg, keep kiting until you're confident you can win the fight. use your mines defensively, keep up your shields and outplay enemies. the reason to play this way is streak. you're no ganker but you can actually draw people away from the zerg like no other class (maybe sprinting/blinking stam-sorcs can do it similarly well). it's not easy, but it can feel very rewarding and makes for really fun evenings. Don't expect to win 1v5 with all of them around. But pretty often 5 randoms can be stretched out enough to finish them one by one. Even if you might be able to build an even stronger, say, stam dk. with some practice you get zerged so much less on a magsorc. as for a concrete build: just copy your favorite youtuber (e.g., legendary mage, sypher, that na ce guy, etc) and adjust for personal preferences.

3) zerg and leech very decent AP with your execute, other range nukes and if you must, even rapid regen. consult your doctor to make sure you won't die from boredom too easily :D I really don't recommend that, but it can be a good way to squeeze in that last 500k+ AP saturday to secure a certain campaing rank or something. Use your build from 2). Don't make grand overlord that way or you risk become a living running gag ;)

@bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others