Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help With Healing Build?

IOUAT
IOUAT
✭✭✭
can anyone share any good healing guides or set ups for me, i am a magic templar but i cant seem too keep myself or others alive that much ,and its making me want to quit coz its not fun dying all the time especially when ur trying to finish dungeons :/ . i have put my champion points into healing areas of the champion system and put all my points into magika to be able to use my healing abilites more often but it doesnt seem to help i guess i put them in the wrong area what am i doing wrong? :/
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when your getting into healing gear wise there's a few options, I started with Seducer Set which makes sure you have a good chance of maintaining your own resources well. For head, shoulders and staff you can go either Torugs Pact for a bit more spell damage and health, Julianos for crit and magika or Magnus for more magika and recovery.

For end game Spell Power Cure (drops in aWGT) and either Worm or Twloghts Remedy ( head or shoulder piece, staff and 3 jewellery) and molag Kena for the head or shoulder piece that's free works for me. I'm also trying healers set which is easier to get than worm or twilight and works well.

For a healer don't just focus on health and look to keep everyone's buffs up and magika/stam full. To do this positioning is key to get a full view of what's going, keep yourself out of danger and give yourself the best chance to do some range dps. Also by keeping a good position you can see if people aren't helping by standing in the red etc so communicate with the the group if the team can do more to make your job easier - can't heal stupid.

Bar 1 for me in dungeons
    Resto staff -
    healing springs - spam able heal for the group and dirt cheap.
    force siphon returns health and magika per hit
    combat prayer great heal and provides damage boost keep it up 100%
    breath of life get out of jail health. Don't use unless 100% needed
    inner light just for magika and crit
    Ultimate war horn amazing damage boost for group
    Bar 2
    Destro Staff -
    luminous shards/sweeps if no stam players - shards for some damage/stun and stam return or sweeps if doing more damage
    Ele drain debuffs target resistance and returns magika per hit again
    Jesus beam - execute phase but also use to activate dawns wraith buff for spell damage so use throughout fight
    mystic or healing orbs, return magika and don some good damage
    repentance or inner light. Repentance for sustain/heal if single target use inner light or one of other skills
    Ultimate shooting star, Nova or reviving barrier- normally use Shooting Star but barrier/nova good for shield/damage mitigation

Other skills I use are: channeled focus, ritual retribution for some regen, resistance and HoT/cleanse. There's a Templar skill that hits multiple targets I use in WGT to take out portals sorry can't remember the name.

This build doesn't do loads of damage but does mean the group stays alive and doesn't need to worry about resource management too much whilst boosting damage through buffs.

For CP I put 100 into blessed and the rest into elfborn, 10 quick recovery and the rest into hardy/ele damage for the red and in the green I put 100 into recovery since my recovery is high and the rest into reduce magika cost.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IOUAT wrote: »
    can anyone share any good healing guides or set ups for me, i am a magic templar but i cant seem too keep myself or others alive that much ,and its making me want to quit coz its not fun dying all the time especially when ur trying to finish dungeons :/ . i have put my champion points into healing areas of the champion system and put all my points into magika to be able to use my healing abilites more often but it doesnt seem to help i guess i put them in the wrong area what am i doing wrong? :/

I don't think healing is the issue. Given how you seem to buff health, but still find yourself dying often, I'd be more inclined to believe your offense is weak and your defensive moves need more training.

How is your character currently set up? What skills are you using/have available/need unlocked? Are you taking advantage of multiple skills or just mashing one or two?

Enemies have a variety of defenses, and your offense should be flexible to adapt to these changes you'll face. If you're standing there hoping to take them out before you, then you're also taking a huge amount of damage.

Move around. Use your environment, and especially know what your task is in a group. If you're to be the healer, you shouldn't be doing much combat in dungeons anyway. But at the same time, you don't want to be a wallflower either.

Start by asking those you group with what you're doing wrong. They should be able to help, as I'm sure they're not enjoying dying either.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

I don't think healing is the issue. Given how you seem to buff health, but still find yourself dying often, I'd be more inclined to believe your offense is weak and your defensive moves need more training.

How is your character currently set up? What skills are you using/have available/need unlocked? Are you taking advantage of multiple skills or just mashing one or two?

Enemies have a variety of defenses, and your offense should be flexible to adapt to these changes you'll face. If you're standing there hoping to take them out before you, then you're also taking a huge amount of damage.

Move around. Use your environment, and especially know what your task is in a group. If you're to be the healer, you shouldn't be doing much combat in dungeons anyway. But at the same time, you don't want to be a wallflower either.

Start by asking those you group with what you're doing wrong. They should be able to help, as I'm sure they're not enjoying dying either.

my character is setup as magical templar

im using radiant opression,breath of life,unstable core purifying light,repentance,and remembrance

unlocked i have aedric spear: crescent sweep,puncturing sweep,binding javelin,focused charge,luminous shards,
    dawns wrath : solar prison,vampires bane,solar barrrage,purifying light,unstable core,radiant opression
    restoring light: remembrance,breath of life,healing ritual,repentance

things i dont have unlocked : aedric spear : sun sheild ,peircing spear
    restoring light: cleaninsing ritual,rune focus,sacred ground

:|
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IOUAT - I am also building my first healer,

Firstly i dont see you using any restoration staff abilities,
    Resto staff abilities are cheap on the magicka and are spammable,

I currently run a resto Staff Dualwield build with Breath of Life on my Dual wield for the extra healing,

I am level 16 now and use 5 pce seducer and the rest kagrenacs....

It works well for me,

resto Bar,
    Healing springs,
    Rapid Regeneration,
    Combat prayer,
    Steadfast Ward,
    Breath of life,
    U - Nova

Dual wield
    Dark Flare,
    Puncturing sweeps,
    Reflective light,
    Flexi spot,
    Breath of light,
    U- Radial Sweep,

Heavy attack with a resto staff also helps with magicka management,

Hope this helps you
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »

I currently run a resto Staff Dualwield build with Breath of Life on my Dual wield for the extra healing,

It works well for me,

resto Bar,
    Healing springs,
    Rapid Regeneration,
    Combat prayer,
    Steadfast Ward,
    Breath of life,
    U - Nova

Dual wield
    Dark Flare,
    Puncturing sweeps,
    Reflective light,
    Flexi spot,
    Breath of light,
    U- Radial Sweep,

Hope this helps you

how do u fare in vet dungeons with this setup?
  • jenpwns
    jenpwns
    Soul Shriven
    I'd recommend checking out @Deltia's Battery Healer Build: http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-templar-healer/
    I use to run this and it was a lot of fun and very effective. I started off using a 5 pc seducer and 3/4 pc magnus and it worked out well.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else with different healing builds that are good ? Or that can keep u and ur group sustained
  • Nax
    Nax
    ✭✭✭
    Are you PC EU by any chance? If so, add me @stileanima and I will be glad to help you out with a PvE healer setup in-game. If not, still write back and I'll try to help out here. :)
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Nax wrote: »
    Are you PC EU by any chance? If so, add me @stileanima and I will be glad to help you out with a PvE healer setup in-game. If not, still write back and I'll try to help out here. :)

console :/
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »

It works well for me,

resto Bar,
    Healing springs,
    Rapid Regeneration,
    Combat prayer,
    Steadfast Ward,
    Breath of life,
    U - Nova

Dual wield
    Dark Flare,
    Puncturing sweeps,
    Reflective light,
    Flexi spot,
    Breath of light,
    U- Radial Sweep,

Hope this helps you

how do u fare in vet dungeons with this setup?

I have not done vet with this setup but in a normal 4 man dungeon i fare well,
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+

• Nax
    Nax
    ✭✭✭
    When I first started healing, as has already been recommended here, I used 5 pieces of the Armor of the Seducer set, 3/4 pieces of Torug's Pact, and 3 pieces of Willpower jewelry. The Seducer and Torug sets are craftable and require 3 traits learned, and their crafting stations can be found in either Grahtwood, Stormhaven or Deshaan, depending on your alliance. I'm sure if you ask around in Zone Chat, someone will be able to craft them for you. If not, they only need you to have 3 traits unlocked, which is part of what makes them so great/accessible to healers that are just starting out-- it won't take you very long to meet the requirements for making these sets if you invest just a bit of time into crafting.

I recommend these sets because of their bonuses: Magicka recovery, max Magicka, cost reduction, spell damage, max Health and spell resistance. All of these things will help you greatly when you are just starting out in managing your resources and in staying alive. As you play more and more, you will start to see that you need less and less Magicka recovery because you will understand when and how best to make decisions that make up for a lack of it (such as heavy attacking, utilizing certain skills etc), and at this point you can start to move away from recovery gear like Seducer and towards what you want for end-game, like, for example, Spell Power Cure.

I recommend wearing 5 pieces of Light armor, 1 piece Medium and 1 piece Heavy. The reason we do this is because of what you will hear people calling the "Undaunted Bonus". Check out the last passive for the Undaunted skill line, "Undaunted Mettle". When upgraded all the way, this passive will increase all of your resources by a whopping 6%-- that's 2% per type of armor weight you have equipped. 1 of each weight will maximize what you are able to get from this passive. Even if you are not yet able to unlock this passive, I still recommend wearing 1 of each weight as you level because there are some nice passives for Light, Medium and Heavy armor that will help you with survivability, even if only a little, not to mention the bit of extra armor you get from your Med and Heavy pieces. Be sure to have Med and Heavy as either your Chest, Legs or Helm as these are the pieces that will maximize the armor you gain from wearing them.

For weapons, I recommend using 1 Restoration Staff always, and either 1 Destruction Staff or 2 1-Handed Swords, depending on the group you are playing with. For my own setup, I keep the Resto Staff on the front bar and the other options at the back. You will want to use your Destro staff when you are healing a group that has any Magicka DDs because of the important Destro staff skill, "Elemental Drain" (the morph of "Weakness to Elements"). I will go more into this later. When I am playing in a group with only Stamina DDs, I pull out my swords as Ele Drain is not needed to optimize the DDs' damage, and I can replace it with another skill that might help them out a bit more.

This is what I typically use for skills. They change based on what my group is up against, and what my group consists of.

Restoration Staff:
    1. Inner Light
    2. Combat Prayer / Siphon Spirit / Healing Ward / Harness Magicka
    3. Luminous Shards
    4. Rapid Regeneration / Healing Springs
    5. Healing Springs / Breath of Life / Siphon Spirit
    Ulti. Shooting Star / Reviving Barrier / Solar Prison

Destruction Staff / Dual-Wield:
    1. Inner Light
    2. Repentance / Channeled Focus
    3. Elemental Drain / Purifying Light / Ritual of Retribution
    4. Mysic Orb / Radiant Oppression / Vampire's Bane
    5. Breath of Life / Radiant Oppression
    Ulti. Aggressive Horn

I recommend experimenting with any and all of the above skills as all of them are important for healing in one situation or another. For you just starting out, though, I would highly recommend the following setup:

Restoration Staff:
    1. Inner Light
    2. Combat Prayer
    3. Luminous Shards
    4. Healing Springs / Rapid Regeneration
    5. Breath of Life
    Ulti. Solar Prison

Destruction Staff / Dual-Wield:
    1. Inner Light
    2. Repentance / Channeled Focus
    3. Elemental Drain / Purifying Ritual / Ritual of Retribution
    4. Mystic Orb (if you've got it) / Vampire's Bane / Purifying Ritual
    5. Breath of Life
    Ulti. Remembrance

Those are what my bars looked like when I first began healing. I'm still far from perfect and have a lot to learn, but I am at the point now where I am very comfortable healing what is needed, and buffing and damaging more. This, in my opinion, is what you should aim for. For now, though, let me give you some reasons behind my recommended setup:

1. Inner Light
    This skill not only gives you a higher spell critical rating, but increases your max Magicka by 5%. It's a no-brainer to have on both bars, plus the Mage's Guild passive "Magicka Controller" will increase your max Magicka AND Magicka recover per Mage's Guild ability slotted.

2. Combat Prayer
    This is a really solid group buff and an amazing instant heal as well, for party members standing in the target area. In situations where I can position myself behind/to the side of my team, 9 times out of 10 I will use this as an "oh ***" heal over Breath of Life because, not only does it cost less, but buffs them as well (or refreshes the buff, if it's already on them).

3. Luminous Shards
    Gives back Stamina, Magicka over time, damages and disorients. A staple in any healer's repertoire. Be consistent in throwing shards to your DDs and your Tank as it will greatly help them manage their resources, though be careful of when and where you throw them as you may throw off your Tank's groove if he's trying to chain a mob to the group, of if there's a certain mob that needs to be interrupted at a certain frame of time. Take the other morph if you prefer to do more damage as it provides damage over time. Personally I prefer the Magicka gain to anyone who takes the synergy over the DPS.

4. Healing Springs / Rapid Regeneration
    Healing Springs is the spammable heal that you should use in situations where you and the rest of your team are standing near each other. Pay attention to its AOE circle. Stand in it when you need heals and place it on your team when they need heals, or position yourself so all 4 of you are inside if necessary/possible. This is also a great skill because it returns Magicka to you, per person healed to a maximum of 3 targets. It is not only a powerful heal (crazy on crit!), but will help you manage your resources as well. I use Rapid Regeneration, even though the targeting is unfortunately buggy, in situations where the team will be a bit more spread out. The critical ticks on this heal are insane-- for example, I love healing Veteran Darkshade during the poison phase of the last boss with this skill. It is so powerful that I could literally just stand in the corner and /dance while the poison tries in vain to be even close to menacing, and my team will get through it without breaking a sweat.

5. Breath of Life
    I used this on both bars when first starting out. This is your "oh ***" button that you should try your best to not use as your main healing skill because it's costly and if you find that you are spamming it over and over, something is not right, either with your tactic or others' on your team. I recommend double-barring it until you are comfortable withing having it only on one. Later on down the line, you may see that for a lot of fights, you won't even need to slot it.

6. Repentance / Channeled Focus
    Repentance is a must for when there are lots of mobs. It's free, returns Stamina and heals per corpse in the area. Your Stamina DDs and your Tank will thank you greatly for it, not to mention it helps you be able to block a bit more with your wimpy 9k Stamina pool (or is that just me?). Be wary of where you cast this skill as it has a 12 meter radius. You want to make sure the people that need it most are standing where they will receive the benefits. Channeled Focus is good to help you manage your resources as it returns Magicka to you every 0.5 seconds, and the "Sacred Ground" passive of the "Restoring Light" tree will increase the effectiveness of your healing by 25% when you are standing in the rune.

7. Elemental Drain / Purifying Ritual / Ritual of Retribution
    Practice using this skill when you run with any Magicka DDs. Keep it up on bosses to the best of your ability as it decreases their spell resistance by a MASSIVE 5280, plus returns Magicka back to anyone damaging it with an elemental attack. Both of these things will be hugely helpful to your Magicka DDs by increasing their damage, and helping them with their sustain. Placing it on mobs can be a help, too. Purifying Ritual is nice because it is Heal over Time when it it expires, plus stores and deals damage in one nasty hit. Ritual of Retribution is great to remove any harmful effects from you and your teammates, plus it also grants you the 25% healing buff when standing in it. I run this skill when I know that there are harmful effects that will need to be purged, such as during the last boss fight of Cradle of Shadows.

8. Mystic Orb / Vampire's Bane / Purifying Ritual
    Mystic Orb is a must-have skill when you play with Magicka DDs. Some people will tell you to only use it when there are mobs about. I say, be consistent in tossing your DDs and even your Tank these orbs as it will help them with their sustain no matter how many mobs are nearby. If you don't have Mystic Orb yet, use Vampire's Bane or Purifying Ritual. Purifying Ritual for the reasons mentioned above, and Vampire's Bane for the "Prism" and "Illuminate" passives in your "Dawn's Wrath" skill tree-- 3 Ultimate gained when casting a Dawn's Wrath skill and a group buff with Minor Sorcery, respectively.

Ulti. Solar Prison
    Grants damage mitigation to people standing in the area of effect, plus does some really nice damage.

Ulti. Remembrance
    This can also be an "oh ***" button for whenever you sense that you are about to run out of resources, or that your team is going to be taking some hard damage that you're not sure you'll be able to heal them through any other way.

(As an aside, you'll notice that Radiant Oppression is not on the list of skills for someone to use when just starting out. As it is a channeled ability, it can be dangerous if mistimed as you very well may be too busy doing damage and too caught off guard to cancel the attack in time when your Tank is suddenly at 10% health and needs to be Breath of Life'd or death. Same goes for Siphon Spirit. It takes a little bit to cast, and if you are too late in cancelling it a critical moment, someone may wind up dead.)

I feel like I've gone on forever now and am well overdue for a TL;DR, but my last recommendation to you for now is, communicate with your team. Do you see that you are in a group of higher-leveled people? It's likely that they will know something about the upcoming fight that you don't yet and will have some advice to offer. Do you notice that Solo-YOLO-DD is standing in the red a lot of the time and see that he's taking more damage than is necessary? Don't be afraid to let him know what you see, and to offer alternatives (such as "don't stand in the red for crying out loud!" :P ) that will help make both your lives easier. Some people you bump into along the way will undoubtedly not be too keen on helping new players learn the ropes, but keep on keeping on and don't let them deter you from healing. Everyone was new once, even them. You won't be perfect, goodness knows I'm still far from it, but keep practicing and keep playing and you will improve in time. Good luck, wish you were on PC so I could help you out in-game, and I hope this has been a little helpful to you as well. :)
    Edited by Nax on September 16, 2016 6:02PM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nax - Thank you for that well written piece. pretty thorough as well...

I will certainly be using your advice on my healer. only lvl16 now so not all skills unlocked but now i know what skill lines i need to unlock.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+