The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Battery - Templar Healer build for TG (Deltias Gaming)

Deltia
Deltia
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello friends,

I'm posting this here from my site incase you don't visit it. I updated my Templar healer build the Battery and want to share my thoughts. Enjoy!

Objective
To create a simple, fun and effective healer for The Elder Scrolls Online.

Healing is still my favorite role in ESO and in large part because you don't just ONLY heal. You do damage, execute the boss and defend your allies. It's active fun and truthfully, a lot easier than other MMO's. Why? Well we as Templars can give back resources both stamina and magicka on demand AND we can heal without Line of Sight via Breath of Life. Even though it only heals two players now, it's still the most powerful heal in the game.

LET ME GIVE YOU MY TOP FIVE TIPS TO HEALING IN ESO

https://youtu.be/Hzhspfnce9I

5. Pre-Fight Buffs - If you want to get a good leg up on the fight about to unfold, make sure you have a solid plan to buff your allies beforehand. Meaning, get Heals over Time (HoTs) rolling via Rapid Regeneration, lay down your Extended Ritual for 25% more healing, fire up Proxy Det for massive AoE burst and hit Combat Pray right as your allies go into the fray. Getting a good start, will help with a good finish. Practice your pre-fight buff rotation.

4. Position - Remember you're the healer, AKA the Co-Captain of the defense. Make sure you tell other players where to stand and why prior to fights. Why? Well when they stand in red and die, they will blame you anyways. It's my job to know the fights, tell people about it and what to avoid. Less healing I'm doing, more damage I do, faster the fight goes.

3. Communication - It's perfectly okay to say "Jimmy, please don't stand in red by that Gargoyle." EVERYONE has and will step in red or do something be accident, it just happens. Most of the times, people just don't know the mechanics of the fights and how to avoid damage. You the healer need to tell them. Also, if someone is taking an excessive amount of damage, find out why. "John, you're taking a lot of damage have you ate your food, repaired your gear, etc?" I'd rather have an offended John then constantly wipe in the dungeon over and over.

2. Damage - This is ESO NOT another MMO, healers do damage. Your goal as a healer is to do the most damage possible and heal secondarily. People laugh when I say this, but it makes dungeons a breeze if you think offensively first. No I'm not saying don't heal, just realize that you should be providing damage in between buffs and heals. That leads me into my last and favorite tip for new healers.

1. STOP OVER HEALING - STOP IT, if everyone is at 100% health, stop casting Breath of Life. I'm okay with reapplying your buffs a little early, but there's no need to constantly heal when everyone is alive and well, do damage instead. YOU CANNOT HEAL A MOB TO DEATH though I've seen a great many healers try. Constantly think "can I do damage right now instead of healing?" If the answer is yes, do damage. An example of this is let's say my party is taking damage and 3 of us are at around 70% health. If my HoTs are up, Ritual is down, I don't heal. I use my next second to throw a Spear, recast Purifying Light or something offensive. If their heal continues to drop, then I heal. Why is this important? Most builds have some type of healing already built into them so you don't need to constantly top them off, HoTs will do that. Burst heal with BoL when someone drops drastically then find out why. If you make this one change, you'll be the best healer in your group.
Skills

Skills

The-Battery-Skills-for-Thieves-Guild.jpg

Dual Wield (Swords) - For extra spell power, our main bar for healing, damage and execute.
  1. Inner Light (morph of Mage light | Mages Guild skill line) - This is a must have due to the major critical bonus, max magicka and recovery. Note, that this no longer needs to be double slotted and we put it on our primary bar only. If you have extra magicka, you can toggle it once prior to a fight to get an Empower (20% more damage on the next attack) for a powerful Shooting Star. Once cast, the Shooting Star will also proc another Empower which you can use on Blazing Spear. This is for trash pulls (non boss pack of mobs) where you just need everyone to do damage up front. Even as a healer, you'll nuke stuff.
  2. Purifying Light (morph of Backlash | Dawn's Wrath skill line) - A great damage tool that has can heal nearby targets for a good duration. I constantly keep this active to proc more ultimate, more spell power and it can solely keep my tank and melee allies alive. If you're not using this, you need to.
  3. FLEX - Radiant Oppression (morph of Radiant Destruction | Dawn's Wrath skill line) - One of the best finishers in the game though you should use it around 30% no higher. I still use this as a healer, why? Well things need to die and if my HoTs are rolling I'll help burn the boss down. Just make sure to block/cancel this if someone healths drops below 50%. Practice clicking block during a beam so it becomes natural otherwise you'll lose some allies during finishing phase.
  4. Elemental Drain (morph of Weakness to Elemental | Destruction Staff skill line) - If you're healing a Trial like AA, Hel Ra, or SO you're probably going to be ask to run more buffs. In this case, I carry a Destruction Staff on me for magicka users weaving in and out attacks. It's extra important in the latest Trial where fights last much longer.
  5. Blazing Spear (morph of Spear Shards | Aedric Spear skill line) - Monster AoE with a great synergy. I prefer this morph over the added magicka bonus (more damage, less problems). Puncturing Sweeps is more damage but the added utility is too much for me to pass up. I even spam this in single target situations and my damage does fine.
  6. Breath of Life (morph of Rushed Ceremony | Restoring Light skill line) - The best healing ability in the game, period. Make sure to not over use this, when allies are at 80% no need to BoL. When someone drops low, say below %50 now BoL. It's an expensive heal, so when it doubt try to let your HoTs do the work over spamming this.
  7. Shooting Star (morph of Meteor | Mages Guild skill line) - I use this on my primary bar for extra magicka and regeneration. You can even slot Barrier (Alliance War) for 10% more magicka recovery if you're struggling. I'll use this in trash pulls but during boss fights, the damage reduction via Nova is too powerful to pass up.

Restoration Staff - Meant for buffs and defensive ultimate.
  1. FLEX - Proximity Detonation (morph of Magicka Detention | Alliance War Assault skill line) - An absolute AoE juggernaut and good single target damage too. I play more offensive so casting this prior to a pull ensures a good start to our teams damage. I'll recast this in between buff phases when everyone is topped off. I consider this our flex spot on bar two so if you don't have it, or want more utility swap it in and out.
  2. Channeled Focus (morph of Rune Focus | Restoring Light skill line) - A massive boost to our sustained. If you're low in Champion Points or want more defense, use this skill.
  3. Extended Ritual (morph of Cleansing Ritual | Restoring Light skill line) - This ability got a massive boost in healing power due to the Focus Healing passive. You get 25% more healing while staying in your Ritual and for 8 seconds after. Plus it does a HoT which adds up to our overall healing power. Lay this down prior to a major pull and keep it up 100%. Major Mending is too good to pass up.
  4. Repentance (morph of Restoring Aura | Restoring Light skill line) - One of the best abilities in the game, making almost all PvE content require a Templar. Give you a free heal, stamina for everyone and regeneration for having it slotted. The way to use this is repent every 1-3 corpses. On my build this can crit heal everyone for 8k with Major Mending up. That is only with one corpse! Now image two or more. Don't wait until the fight is over to use this, use it every body or so.
  5. Rapid Regeneration (morph of Regeneration | Restoration Staff skill line) - A powerful 16 second HoT that can also give back magicka via the Maelstrom Staff. Remember you'll have to spam cast this 2 or more times depending on your parties size but make sure to get HoTs rolling pre and during fights.
  6. FLEX - Combat Pray (morph of Blessings of Protection | Restoration Staff skill line) - A decent heal with a monster damage boost though consider this your flex spot especially if your DPS are Nightblades are using Grim Focus (same buff).
  7. Sipirt Siphon (morph of Force Siphon | Restoration Staff skill line) - Another major boost to magicka build sustained, this skill gives us magicka return off hit similar to Elemental Drain. If both are up, magicka builds can sustained indefinitely with a little regen and potions on cool down. Consider using this when healing a Trial/Raid.
  8. Harness Magicka (morph of Annulment | Light Armor skill line) - Useful flex spot for Imperial Prisons final boss or anything with massive magicka damage.
  9. [Ultimate] Solar Prison (morph of Nova | Dawn's Wrath skill line) - A super powerful damage mitigation ultimate with a synergy that wrecks face for any Templar in my opinion. If you need more healing or you're running out of magicka constantly, flex in Remembrance on bar one, but you need Nova on bar two.

Important Passives

Burning Light and Piercing Spear (Aedric Spear) - Burning Light adds tons of damage to spears/sweeps and Piercing Spear even adds to our critical heals.
Prism and Illuminate (Dawn's Wrath) - Faster ultimate generation is a must along with boosting allies spell power.
Mending (Restoring Light) - This gives bigger heals the lower our allies health making it optimal to only use BoL on low health friendlies.
Focused Healing (Restoring Light) - a must have due to Major Mending in combination with Ritual to make our healing insane.
Restoring Light -- Take them all, it matters.
Light Armor -- Take them all, again its helpful.

Gear
The-Battery-Gear-chart-for-Thieves-Guild.jpg
The-Battery-Gear-Picture-for-Thieves-Guild.jpg

• Worm's Raiment Set (AKA Worm Cult)- We can now obtain VR16 version of this set via Maw of Lorkhaj on normal mode. This is the uber set for group utility, 5% reduced magicka for everyone (including you). It's expensive and hard to get but worth it if you want Best in Slot (BiS) healer gear. Go with all divines traits if you can and I like one regeneration on my jewelry and two spell damage.
  • Spell Power Cure - The second BiS setup due to its duration (now 10 seconds) and damage increase to your party. With these two sets combined, you will provide an absolute monster boost to your parties DPS and sustained giving you the name Battery.
  • Torug's Pact - Go with double swords for more spell damage alone with Precise traits for healing only (Nirn if you want to do DPS too).
  • Maelstrom Staff - I like precise as well, just make sure you charge this a lot prior to each dungeon run as Rapid Regeneration will proc it a lot.

Option 2
  • Engine Guardian - Sustained and stamina matter greatly in Update 7 and I highly recommend considering Engine Guardian. Not only does it flood you with resources, but you can use the corpses as a free Repentance heal. Obtained by completing Darkshade Cavern Veteran mode final boss, and Shoulders through Undaunted pledges.
  • Kagrenac's Hope - 8 trait craftable set found in Fighter's Guild Earth Forge (after completing story). This is soooo helpful I cannot begin to tell you the power that in IC, you get spell power for the five piece. I even use this as a DPS set and enjoy it's benefits.
  • Willpower Set - Monster magicka and spell damage comes from this set though it can be hard to find. Obtained through Veteran Dungeons and Treasure Vaults.

Champion Points
Blue

I do a four way split between Elf Born (spell crit strength), Thuamaturge (DoT damage), Elemental Expert (flame and magic damage) and Blessed (healing). I do not go hog wild into Blessed and Elfborn because I'm offensive minded. Yes you can get 40k Breath of Lifes, but does anyone really have 40k health anyways? You have to kill bosses, not heal them.
Red

I do 40/40/40 in Hardy, Elemental Defender and Thick Skinned with the left over points 47 into Quick Recovery. Is this the best setup? No idea but it works for me.
Green

I do an even split between reduced cost and recovery (83/84). Some say to go heavy into reduced cost but when I try I don't have the same sustained. This works for me.
Misc

• Race Choice - 1) Breton for reduced cost and max magicka 2) High Elf for max magicka and recovery 3) Dunmer for max magicka and flexibility if you wanted to play something else.
  • Werewolf or Vampire - I don't see a point for either with this build, could you? Sure, but I don't mess with it now.
  • Attributes - Since our gear doesn't have any added health, I put 10 points into health and the rest magicka with magicka glyphs. I like around 18k health or 20k but remember, more health you have, the less damage and healing you'll do. There's no point in a 40k health healer.
  • Mundus Stone - I prefer the Thief for extra criticals. This works well if I switch to DPS as well. For pure healing potential, the Ritual is a great choice but it doesn't effect our damage. Those struggling with resources should try the Atronach or the Mage.
  • Food and Drink - Go bi-stat to get the most magicka as possible.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helped you!
Edited by Deltia on April 12, 2016 5:27PM
In-game @deltiasgaming | deltiasgaming.com for Elder Scrolls Online [ESO / TESO] Guides
"It's a good day to be alive"
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I still run a build similar to this on my Templar. Thanks Deltia for the inspiration and now I am going to look at changing some things around to see if I can squeeze more out of him. Kind of waiting for DB though to be honest as I am sure things will probably change again. Keep up the great work... and congrats on the new baby!
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Deltia- Good writeup as usual. I usually heal/DPS so I don't usually see other healers that much but I have found with a good DPS crew I don't need much other than Healing Springs, BoL, H Magicka, Focus. Rep maybe but I prefer H Magicka for the extra 15k or so Defense/return so I don't have to watch myself that much. The rest you can cram into Offense- sweeps, spears, plight, ropression . Trials yeah I guess you need all the other stuff but for V16 VET and strong DPS that is all you need on a Templar.

Pop spell criticals when needed, run seducer, krags, julianos or other options w willpower. Skoria for a BIG DPS boost procing every 7 seconds or so- dw/resto

GL!
    Edited by puffy99 on April 12, 2016 8:28PM
  • KamakaziYardbird
    First i must say you have been helping me out since day one, Like many others i am getting back into ESO and my healer still has the Healer set/ marital knowledge set on. i was wondering if y
  • KamakaziYardbird
    First i must say you have been helping me out since day one, Like many others i am getting back into ESO and my healer still has the Healer set/ marital knowledge set on. i was wondering if y

If You could mention some noteable craftable armor sets for a healer to rock. just until i get my feet back under me
  • Powerburrito20
    You mentioned Inner Light does not need to be double slotted...On Xbox is showing that I do need it on both bars? Is PC different? If so do you still recommend it on both bars?
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STOP OVER HEALING - STOP IT, if everyone is at 100% health, stop casting Breath of Life. I'm okay with reapplying your buffs a little early, but there's no need to constantly heal when everyone is alive and well, do damage instead. YOU CANNOT HEAL A MOB TO DEATH though I've seen a great many healers try. Constantly think "can I do damage right now instead of healing?" If the answer is yes, do damage. An example of this is let's say my party is taking damage and 3 of us are at around 70% health. If my HoTs are up, Ritual is down, I don't heal. I use my next second to throw a Spear, recast Purifying Light or something offensive. If their heal continues to drop, then I heal. Why is this important? Most builds have some type of healing already built into them so you don't need to constantly top them off, HoTs will do that. Burst heal with BoL when someone drops drastically then find out why. If you make this one change, you'll be the best healer in your group.

I disagree, and with few exceptions. To some extent what you say is valuable, in that healers are very much capable of supplementing the group's damage (and in many cases expected to).

The primary reason for why I believe this is inadvisable is due to the BiS healer set being SPC (NOT Worm Cult). It is the most valuable buff (aside from maybe Aggressive Horn) that a healer can provide, and it cannot proc if the target is not at full health. Now, I mentioned a few exceptions. One of these would be situations where everyone is stacked together and HoTs are running. Allies at full health standing in purify or who have mutagen active on them need not be overhealed; these HoTs will proc SPC for you. A separate suggestion I might make is that Templar healers need not run both Purify and Rapid Regen, but they each have their place, and there is room to allow this at the healer's discretion.

You made specific mention of BoL, yet no mention whatsoever of Healing Springs? I presume this is because the instinctive thing to do for most new Templar healers is to over-rely on BoL as a primary heal, when in fact, it is best utilized as a clutch burst heal. But then, how do you not recommend Springs? Regardless of class, Springs is the bread&butter core healing skill for pve. It is the most efficient and effective means to provide SPC, and is also the easiest to manage from a resource perspective. As of next Monday, it will also be the best way to proc Gossamer, and when used with a Master's Restoration staff (which is something one should aim to get if healing veteran trials) is also one of the strongest methods of providing substantial sustain support to the group.

You can get away with not using Springs in most dungeons, but going into trials without Springs is asking for trouble. Definitely not a suggestion I would be making to people just starting out.
    Edited by Autolycus on July 29, 2016 7:33PM
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Could you do a leveling guide for this build?
  • ExWhizzy
    ExWhizzy
    ✭✭
    Hey man

do u still think that healing springs is not mandatory for 12 man party trials? Are ur heals enough? I see the benefits of not running healing springs just wanna know ur impression. I would run illustrious I guess just to supplement another nice HoT effect. I could spam easy 2 of these for some nice HoT. The downside I get less chance to spam DMG skills. Since all skills (besides shards) are nonspammable stuff (most of them are reactive or pre-emtive) wouldnt be an nice option to kick in a 2nd spam idea with healing spring / illustrious? If u are going to kick combat prayer due to having many NB and considering proxi det anyways a FLEX slot why not kick in springs for prayer?

Another thing I like that build a lot. I will swap Proxi Det for Mystic Orb more or less but I'm testing things. This build is fast paced, deals dmg, and is fun overall. But I have a LOT of magicka issues. I have to do a lot of resto channels to get back my magicka when I go into dmg phase spamming shards when all the hots are up. Any advice on that? Since I just hit 50 and I'm only cp 119 I'm sitting at 37k magicka buffed running kag's hope set and having 1.1k magicka reg.

One last thing. Shudnt u switch Repentance with Purifying Light? U have to switch to Resto Bar for Combat Prayer so it becomes a natural habit using Light > Prayer. Furthermore u still benefit from more spell dmg and crit when u change to ur mainbar while Light is applied like using Proxi Det. Last thing is that u get more heal out of repentance thx to more spell power and crit from ur double sword bar. Not to mention that u get the passive regen buff on ur main bar where ur spending most of ur time anyways :)
    Edited by ExWhizzy on August 19, 2016 8:39AM
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    ExWhizzy wrote: »
    Hey man

do u still think that healing springs is not mandatory for 12 man party trials? Are ur heals enough? I see the benefits of not running healing springs just wanna know ur impression. I would run illustrious I guess just to supplement another nice HoT effect. I could spam easy 2 of these for some nice HoT. The downside I get less chance to spam DMG skills. Since all skills (besides shards) are nonspammable stuff (most of them are reactive or pre-emtive) wouldnt be an nice option to kick in a 2nd spam idea with healing spring / illustrious? If u are going to kick combat prayer due to having many NB and considering proxi det anyways a FLEX slot why not kick in springs for prayer?

Another thing I like that build a lot. I will swap Proxi Det for Mystic Orb more or less but I'm testing things. This build is fast paced, deals dmg, and is fun overall. But I have a LOT of magicka issues. I have to do a lot of resto channels to get back my magicka when I go into dmg phase spamming shards when all the hots are up. Any advice on that? Since I just hit 50 and I'm only cp 119 I'm sitting at 37k magicka buffed running kag's hope set and having 1.1k magicka reg.

One last thing. Shudnt u switch Repentance with Purifying Light? U have to switch to Resto Bar for Combat Prayer so it becomes a natural habit using Light > Prayer. Furthermore u still benefit from more spell dmg and crit when u change to ur mainbar while Light is applied like using Proxi Det. Last thing is that u get more heal out of repentance thx to more spell power and crit from ur double sword bar. Not to mention that u get the passive regen buff on ur main bar where ur spending most of ur time anyways :)

Sustain will be easier with more cp. keep channeled focus down and use potion at 75 percent magic. Use healing springs when you can to get magic back. Also not sure but I think repentance only scales with max stats and not crit and spell damage.,
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Florial
    Florial
    ✭✭✭
    I like this guide and plan on dusting off my healer. Is this build, especially the gear recommendations, pretty much up-to-date? I can probably craft what I need but want to make sure I'm picking the right pieces.
  • gangrel206
    Florial wrote: »
    I like this guide and plan on dusting off my healer. Is this build, especially the gear recommendations, pretty much up-to-date? I can probably craft what I need but want to make sure I'm picking the right pieces.

Yeah, but only the torug's pact swords are craftable, you will need to farm the remaining parts...

If someone in the group is already using worm cult, there is no point in using it... so it would be nice to have other set on hand... i recommend Twilight's Remedy or Infallible Aether... a cheap option would be Healer set, until you dont have TR or IA.

Spell Power Cure is a must have.

If you don't have SPC yet you can craft kagrenac or law of julianos, but they are good but you can't compare with SPC.

Cheap healer set for crafter, until you get SPC + Worms/IA/TR:

Head: Torug's pact
    Shoulder: Molag Kena
    5 pc Law of Julianos (or Kagrenac)
    3x Willpower jew (healthy)
    2x Torug's swords
    1x Torug's Staff
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Florial wrote: »

As this build was made back in April it wouldn't be up to date. I'm not sure if Deltia is planning to update it in the future though it does do that when new updates come with new sets
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using Healing Springs on a templar is a crime and should be punishable by law. COMPLETE slot waist and if you're still trying to argue that it's the best heal in game, you really have no idea what you're talking about.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~