The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which craftable sets are most desirable?

carljokl
carljokl
✭✭✭
This question may be quite broad. There are quite a lot of different craftable gear sets available. I hoped to get an idea of the sets that are most desirable.
I don't only mean 9 trait sets but some of the lower level sets could be useful too.

I am just completing the 8th trait on some items. I have a few 6 trait items researched and more at 5 trait.

That said the more notable mentions at different numbers of traits could be helpful to other crafters in training other than just myself.
My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade

Best Answers

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Hunding's Rage, Julianos, TBS, Eternal Hunt, Clever Alchemist, Kagernac's, Torug's Pact to name a few.

+ Night Mother's Gaze. That's what I get requested most.
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    The majority of the craftable sets need buffing or updating, in their current state they are useless.

That's completely untrue.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of the craftable sets need buffing or updating, in their current state they are useless.

I would love to see they buffing morkuldin. I like the set and its pretty good for WW but maybe the damage that sword does could scale from characters weapon damage.

Options
  • Brokensocket
    Brokensocket
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i love the gladiator set, mines all mercernary with prism enchantments and going to gold it soon, my guy is a nord dps with high stam and good abilities, people often say its a bad choice but i dont see why?
    PSN: Spaztik_89
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All of my characters use at least one five piece crafted set that I make and while some would consider them not as good as dropped sets, I am happy with them. I have not looked at the newer craftable sets but think the influx of dropped sets confuses people and they may need to revisit the crafted sets.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunding's Rage, Julianos, TBS, Eternal Hunt, Clever Alchemist, Kagernac's, Torug's Pact to name a few.

Histbark & Magnus are also useful as well as Nights Silence for Thieves Guild/DB quests & dailies
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. This is useful to know. So many sets to sift through. The description of the buffs doesn't always easily translate to how effective they are in practice. That said there are a couple of crafting station sets in Eyevea which I think are 8 trait. The description of the buffs doesn't sound very powerful.

Maybe it would be useful if some player compiled a guide of recommended set gear to go with different character classes.

I note that Jewelry can also be part of a set. Still jewelry cannot be crafted and I would assume the jewelry sets are only the droppable kind not the same as the craftable kind.

With 7 pieces of armour + (2 weapons or weapon and shield or one dual handed weapon) + 3 jewelry slots. That is potential for 11 or 12 pieces of set gear. Enough for 2 complete 5 piece sets in theory. Without jewelry it would be 5 + (4 or 3).

I don't really like the idea of relying on dropped set items. Even if a piece drops that is the set you want, what is the chance it will be the right style, level, trait? Craftable sets allow complete control over the resulting item.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's completely untrue.

I should have specified, I have a 100% pvp perspective and sets like ashen grip, nights silence, trial by fire and whitestrake to name a few, are weak and a waste for pvp. (guess I should also cover my bases here by saying im more or less a min maxer and im talking about full sets of 5 here)
    Edited by olsborg on September 15, 2016 9:00AM

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the noob question but as a crafter just levelling up doing writs etc, where do I get the motifs for these craftable sets, assuming I need a motif.

Is it the sort of thing you get in a RNG or can you buy them on guild stores etc. Do they work like a standard race motif set?
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    @Suiter1972

The sets are totally independent of motifs.

The sets can be crafted in any racial style / motif. Sets are much like traits in that regard. Any piece or armour or weaponry can be crafted as part of a set.

Like traits, the only prerequisite it having researched traits. In the case of one item. To craft that item with a trait, the trait must have been researched on that specific item. To craft a specific item as part of a set, at least the number traits required for a given set must be researched.

This can make it tricky when crafting a complete set. If I want Hunding's Rage armour, that is a 6 trait set. That means every piece of armour / weapon to make up the set must have at least 6 traits completed research. This can impact on the optimum way to complete research. It makes sense to try to keep the number of traits researched as consistent as possible across the gear you want to craft. If the number of researched traits varies a lot then you may be limited by going with the lowest common denominator number of traits researched across the 5 items in the craftable set. Or go with a set that requires more researched traits and have less than a complete set.

Given sets go up to 5 pieces. It is possible to combine 5 pieces of one set with 3 or 4 pieces of another set (depending whether you use 1 or 2 handed weapons). It is possible to craft your highest researched items as part of one set and lower ones as part of the second set.

This all becomes a non issue once all traits are researched across all items. Then you really have flexibility to craft whatever sets you want. This is a big driver to have people research all traits even if they are not particularly interested in creating gear with that trait.

Depending how new you are to this, the sets are crafted in special workshop locations consisting of the Blacksmithing, Woodworking and Clothing stations. These work as regular crafting stations but on the creation page there are extra tabs to the far right for crafting set items (e.g. tabs: armour, weapons, set armour, set weapons). Any items that cannot be created as part of the set due to insufficient traits will show up as red / disabled. You have to create set items from the set tabs as the stations produce non set gear from the regular tabs just like any other station. The station will say how many traits the set requires. All the options of selecting base material, level, a style material and optional trait material are the same as regular creation.

You may already know some/most of this but I include it for completion. Did I miss anything? For alliance zones the number of traits for the sets available in the zone are the same. As you progress through higher level zones there are higher trait sets.
    This continues through Coldharbour, Lower Craglorn and Upper Craglorn.
    This doesn't apply to DLC zones though. DLC areas have sets of different levels however the developers saw fit.
    Edited by carljokl on September 15, 2016 12:57PM
    My Characters

Options
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    Sorry for the noob question but as a crafter just levelling up doing writs etc, where do I get the motifs for these craftable sets, assuming I need a motif.

Is it the sort of thing you get in a RNG or can you buy them on guild stores etc. Do they work like a standard race motif set?

Here is a good guide to where you can farm motifs... Of course, you can always buy them from guild store

http://www.latenighteso.com/tag/eso-where-to-find-motifs/
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    Options