Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone explain a couple things about crafting sets? Questions inside post

Deathgiggle
Deathgiggle
✭✭✭
I am approaching CP160 and will be there in a few more days. As such I want to have a nice set of gear made but I had a question or two. In chat I see people advertise that they want a set made with 7 traits or 9 traits, etc. Since I don't craft gear myself I didn't understand what they are talking about when it comes to traits. Why would you want a 7 trait set instead of a 9 trait set? Is 9 better than 7 or is it just somehow different?

I'm a mageblade focused solely on PVE so I'll be getting gear based around that play style. What is a proper tip for having someone craft the gear for me?
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the crafted sets in the game are unlocked according to traits researched.

so Twice born Star for example is a 9 trait set, and only those with all 9 traits can craft them,

however the alchemist, is a popular 7 trait set, and anyone with 7 or more traits can craft this

9 trait crafters will have all traits unlocked so they are often sought out becuase they will the set in whatever trait you want

that said most crafters concentrate on the 'important' or 'popular' traits 1st

but what a lot of non crafters forget is that not all crafters have ALL motifsor access to all craft stations (a lot of them are DLC only) not assuming, just saying, just incase

hope this helped ;)

• cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    First know what you want, the crafter needs to know light medium or heavy. What set you want made, the traits you want on the items, what style you want them made in. This is needed so we know if we can help you. A big plus is if you can supply the materials needed to make the sets. 1) the ruby ingot leather or silk 2) the trait stones sharpened divines etc 3) the style items . A 160 set takes a lot of materials to make and can cost a lot of gold if you buy the mats off the traders. And now for the big cost area is upgrade of the set, most will go green for no charge the material to do that is easy to come buy, blue a small fee, purple will run some coin, gold that will cost you those materials are hard to come by and high priced at traders
  • mitchtheelder
    mitchtheelder
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on your play style. Sometimes people use 2 trait armor rather than 8-9 trait one. The number actually is not that important play style is. For magnb people usually use julianos light divines, kena shoulder and torugs pact swords. But you have like a million combination that you can make so check the net and combine it with your play style. Its always good to have 9 trait or friend that can do them.
    AD Orc Nightblade - Manndingo, High Elf Templar - M Mike Adriano Nord Dragonknight - Ser-Gregor Clegane
    High elf Sorcerer - Grand Maester Mitch Dark elf Nightblade - Gilbert Arenas Redguard Dragonknight - Half Man Half Amazing Redguard Sorcerer - Uncle Drew High Elf Dragonknight - Devon Larrat Imperial Warden - Sandor Clegane M Nord Necromancer - Tormund Husband to Bears High Elf Necromancer - Ana Maria della Salute High Elf - Warden - Samuel F Jackson Argonian - Templar - Kraken Reptile DC Argonian Warden - Gustavo Giviria Rivero High elf Sorcerer - Jackie Kennedy Orc Necromancer - Lucifer Blackstar EP Redguard Templar - MItch Buchanon
    PC-EU since Feb2016 (+8k h in game)
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am approaching CP160 and will be there in a few more days. As such I want to have a nice set of gear made but I had a question or two. In chat I see people advertise that they want a set made with 7 traits or 9 traits, etc. Since I don't craft gear myself I didn't understand what they are talking about when it comes to traits. Why would you want a 7 trait set instead of a 9 trait set? Is 9 better than 7 or is it just somehow different?

I'm a mageblade focused solely on PVE so I'll be getting gear based around that play style. What is a proper tip for having someone craft the gear for me?

here is a handy link, it tells you each crafting station around the world and how many traits you must have to use them. This list has been my go-to since i started crafting for income. Crafting station list As for "best" it all depends on your play style and what you wish to accomplish. I personally love night mothers because of the armor break, weapon damage and critical increase. BUT i also play a night blade pve only, i do not pvp and do not really run dungeons. It is simply a build that works for me, (5 night mother's gaze and 2 Kvatch Gladiator)
    Edited by jircris11 on September 11, 2016 4:36PM
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, basically a crafter who has only researched 2 traits can only craft certain sets. Once said crafter has reached 5, they can craft more, and sometimes better sets. This continues until they have researched all 9 traits, then they can make all craft-able sets.
  • Deathgiggle
    Deathgiggle
    ✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »

here is a handy link, it tells you each crafting station around the world and how many traits you must have to use them. This list has been my go-to since i started crafting for income. Crafting station list As for "best" it all depends on your play style and what you wish to accomplish. I personally love night mothers because of the armor break, weapon damage and critical increase. BUT i also play a night blade pve only, i do not pvp and do not really run dungeons. It is simply a build that works for me, (5 night mother's gaze and 2 Kvatch Gladiator)

Thank you for the link, I'll be taking a look at it tonight!
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    For pve Magic nightblade you'll want 5 Julianos and willpower jewelry. You'll have 3 armor slots remaining if using staves, which you can do a few things with. If recommend a monster set like Kena or nerieneth of you have them, otherwise go for a 3 piece set bonus that has spell damage. Torugs pact has a 2 piece spell damages bonus and its craft able and the 3 piece bonus gives health which isn't useful for damage but it's good for staying alive if you don't have undaunted passives.
    Be sure of what you want as mats are expensive. You'll have some flexibility in your build but to do good pve damage I'd recommend Eeiter 5 twice born star or 5 Julianos. And don't listen to pvp players. To be truly optimal, you should go 5 light armor with 1 medium and 1 heavy because of undaunted mettle which gives stat bonuses for armor types. If you want to be competitive you should get this passive if you don't have it. As far as how you go about getting 5-1-1, it depends on if you have monster sets or not kind of. For your heavy piece you'll want it to generally be head chest or legs. If you don't want to run a monster set then I would craft a heavy chest and medium legs as part of your julianos or main 5 piece because it's not likely that you'll swap those pieces out and makes it easy. But if you have a heavy divines Kena helm and a light Kena shoulder then you'll want to run a medium chest or legs. Kind of hard to explain and having 7 light isn't terrible.
    Now for your gear you should supply the ancestor silk, rubedo, ruby ash etc. to the crafter as well as the elegant lining and blue upgrade material or expect to pay crafter a lot more. Do not have crafter make you anything less than purple gear because if you can't craft you will not be able to upgrade it. I also suggest getting at least your main bar weapon gold quality. It's not likely that you'll haves these upgrade materials and regular mats if you don't craft so look on the guild trader for them. For pve you pretty much will want 7 divines pieces so you'll need 7 sapphire trait stoned and then you'll need to decide what style you want it and provide style stones, like daedra hearts for daedric style or palladium for ancient elf.
    The last and probably one of the most important part of having good gear is enchantments. Save kudas and farm as many runestones as you can so you don't have to buy them. Legendary enchantments make a huge difference in the amount of damage you do and give you a larger stat pool. I personally neglected doing this for a long time and you'll do just fine with regular enchants but eventually once you're set on your build, Golding out everything will get every last bit of performance out of it.
    As for a tip, I wouldn't do less than 10k and if you're getting multiple crafted sets then I'd do more but I always craft my own and have never been in this situation. Just be generous if they are doing a lot for you but also come prepared and do your research on market value of mats if you don't provide them.
    And lastly I'd recommend becoming a crafter. It's so convenient. Getting to 50 in a trade doesn't take much and researching traits actually comes fairly quickly if you're actively on top of it. It's only when you get to 8 or 9 traits when it gets annoying and same thing with motif farming as a lot of the new motifs are expensive or very tediously obtained. But honestly it's just difficult not being able to craft. Even if you don't research anything or craft anything at all you still gain a lot by having the skill line maxed out ( better deconstruction yields, not having to buy mats because you'll see them instead of jute.)
    Anyways good luck and don't get ripped off or treat your crafter poorly
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA