Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need Vigor, Caltrops and Horn on 3 characters

OldGamerESO
OldGamerESO
✭✭✭
I have learned how I really fail at PvP this last weekend. I made it to Assault 3.5 (most of which was from intro quests) after many hours and clearly I need some assistance. I really just want to get those very necessary skills for 3 stam based characters (and also Horn for my Sap Tank). If I learn to like PvP then great, but the goals right now is how to get my skills as fast as possible. What I am seeing when I go into a Cyridil on the Blackwater (sp) campaign as a DC is like 2 blue keeps with the rest of the map as yellow. I ask for a group, go to the nearest keep and then go outside to join them. We run into an enemy group, we quickly die and then I spawn back at the keep and do the 5 minute ride back to the group. So its about 30 seconds of fighting followed by 5 minutes of riding. We tried to capture some of those little towns/mills but one guy kept hunting us down and kept killing all of us. I had 1600 AP after 4 hours. (is that a lot/little I have no idea)

I used gold to buy siege engines and wall repair but I have not yet ever found a wall to repair that wasn't already 100 percent. I tried to go to imperial city during the event this weekend but the little door that goes to the sewers had lots of enemies that would kill me. Then it would be a 10-15 minute trip back all the way from the only keep we had remaining back the center of the map. If I went on roads I would die to ganking, so I have been picking random ways there. Is there some way I can just teleport to Imperial City? Feels weird to have content I paid for but can't actually use LOL.

It doesn't seem to matter what my build is or gear is. I even tried building some of those "unkillable" builds with heavy armor/impen/shield etc, but that just made me useless and the last to die. I had read the advice of "follow people around and just heal" but what people? I see unorganized groups of 5-8 people from DC, most of which are there to get Vigor, Caltrops and Horn like me. We just get slaughtered.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Should I just push these characters to 50 and join regular PvP? I heard that is even more brutal for novices, which is why I have 3 characters setting at 40-48. I didn't to push them to 50 until I had the necessary Assault/Support skills.

Thanks!

• White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What platform are you on ? Best to go into the main campaign find a large Group and use a range attack from the back of the pack , look for resources being taken on your own keeps and try and get into the keep before a siege as you can get some good defence ticks from them , as for your answer to if 1600 Ap is good no you can get that from 1 kill , if you find a good group your be surprised how quick your get Ap
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    -snip-Best to go into the main campaign find a large Group and use a range attack from the back of the pack-snip-

Did you read the bit below?
    -snip-I had read the advice of "follow people around and just heal" but what people? I see unorganized groups of 5-8 people from DC, most of which are there to get Vigor, Caltrops and Horn like me. We just get slaughtered.-snip-
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat on my Stam DK PVE build (trying to get Caltrops). I also needed warhorn on my Healer.

I have had success doing the following:

The biggest issue I see is that it sounds like you are in a low population server that is dominated by another faction. I would advise getting in whichever server has the highest population, even if that means you need to wait around for awhile to get in. On PS4 yesterday, Haderus was pop-locked on 3 factions.

Once in, if you are a damage build, buy some meatbags and or fire catapults. I prefer meatbags typically since they have a large AoE.

Then look at your map and see where the zergs are running, or if they are pushing one of your keeps. You want to be in areas where large groups from your alliance are colliding with large groups from the other alliance. Whether you are in your keep, or running behind your group, when you encounter a large fight, set up your meatbag in the back and lob them into large groups of the enemy. Sometimes if players do not react quickly you can kill people this way, but often times you assist other players in killing them off. Either way, you will get AP from any players killed that have been hit. I was able to get about 5/6 of a bar on level 5 Assault skill line last night in 1-1.5 hours. If you are on keep walls and can set up a meatbag and fire catapult next to each other, you can get a lot of kills by running between the two and hitting the same areas. Also if there are large fights on bridges you can rake in a lot of AP by dropping oils on large groups.

If you are a healer, get in the group and cast rapid regen and Breath of Life and hang in the middle. Use Radiant Oppression on low health enemies. I got Warhorn in less than an hour this way.

These are just some methods I used when I need skills on my PVE builds. On my dedicated PVP characters I typically have more optimized gear with Impen, and look for more smaller scale fights though they are hard to find at times.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for your advice. Before I read this last night I switched to a more populated campaign and did a little better. I will try the meatbag thing and see if that helps. The big difference last night was finding the fights and staying alive longer than a second. I also repaired a lot of walls although at 52 AP / 90 gold it gets expensive fast.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1600 AP in 4 hours is not good. What you want is to tag kills by either healing people that are killing people or using AoEs. One of the best AoEs for a player learning the ropes is siege.

Number one rule for AP gain is never leave a keep or resource you have defended. You get a defence tick after the fight. Sometimes it takes a while to register so make sure to wait until all the fighting has ended. The Defence tick is split between whoever stays behind so if you run off you are giving your AP to someone else. On offence the tick is immediate upon taking the keep or resource. You also get more AP from defending than you do from attacking so when there is a choice always choose to defend.

Combine the two and what you want to be doing is defending a keep up on a wall with a fire ballista tagging enemies.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs