Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Resource management

WanderingBeithe
WanderingBeithe
✭✭✭
Talk to me about resource management... I'm still a little new to all this, so please bear with my noob'ness.

I play the infamous stamina NB as a wood elf. I love the sneaky sneak. I'm also at 159 cp and use DW and bow.

So.. I run out of stamina all the time. Take some blue food to buff up health and stamina... I run with crafted gear, all purple, 5 hundings rage and 5 night mothers, all with stamina enchants and health-stamina siphoning on my weapons.

In the over world I'm fine. But I hit up a dungeon or trial I'm far from fine. I don't die so much as I run out of stamina way to fast.

I know it's me, I think I hit the abilities to much and don't weave in the light attacks enough.

So.... what do you do ? Any tips? I'm almost due for a new set so am open to suggestions.

Thanks ahead!!
If it has a tail it is meant to be eaten.

Best Answers

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So certain sets will help your regen more than others. But also the enchants on your Jewellery set, I switch mine between Damage (if I'm ok on resources) to Gold Regen Glyphs if I'm short on resource.

Sneaking burns stamina, so does sprinting. So watch out.

Weave. Like crazy. To give you chances to get Stamina back (actually unsure how this works for Stam users, it does for Magika with a staff) so wind up heavy attacks / ani cancel or then weave in light attacks into your skill rotations

Champ points. The regen tree is a percentage increase, SO if you have a big regen stat, its worth the points into this one. If it's small then its better the points into cost reduction.

(I'm a sorc, amd used to split my points equally but have a really low regen stat but big magika pool so find cost reduction is alot better for me)

Also push that pool.up, gold enchants, gold gear etc etc. Bigger the pool, the harder the hit and more attacks you get out of it

All just my views I'm sure others will jump in / on ;)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Answer ✓
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a pve setting (as far as I know) everyone uses food instead of drinks. There may be some specific situations or builds where it's the other way around.
    Answer ✓
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, how can you run 5 Hunging`s AND 5 Nightmother`s at the same time, when there are only 7 armor slots + 1 active weapon?

maybe write more:

1. where did you put your champion points
    2. did you put all your attribute points into stamina? or did you distribute it also to health or magicka? better is put it only to stamina
    3. which skills do you have active on your bars?

I mean, I play a DK, so I will not help you with this, but if you write more info, there are definitelly experienced people who play NBs, who will for sure advice you ;)

and btw, I hope that you know that some dungeons (Undaunted ones) are designed for 4 players and Trials are designed for 12 players :)?

Edited by altemriel on September 7, 2016 1:11PM
  • WanderingBeithe
    WanderingBeithe
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks!

I'm typing on my phone as I can't seem to log in on my lap top for whatever reason.

OK, so 5 hundings and 2 NM on armour and then 1 bow and 2 daggers also NM (and helmet?) so it bounces depending on the weapon. All skills in stamina. And I'm not sure on CP off the top of my head but I'm trying to stick to hit harder, take less damage, cost reduction and regeneration .

Bars.. I've been experimenting so I change up a lot and will adjust depending on the situation. But mostly:
    Bow bar-- grim focus (newish) mark target
    Then poison injection, caltrops and draining shot (think that is the name... knocks them back and I get resources). Ultimate is WW which I have maxed and I loves...

DW bar... always vigor,rending slashes, ambush, killers blade. Them tornado or mass hysteria and ultimate is soul harvest.

So weaving... does that help with the regeneration? I have the foundry add on thing but sometimes it goes by too fast for me (am old) I have been trying to be better with the light attacks.. was explained to hit like a heart beat. .. light attack-ability to hit harder.

But animation cancel? I know you go fast enough that you won't see everything, but could you explain what it is further and how it helps?

I will get gold gear soon, been waiting for that 160 mark.

And yes I know about 4 man dungs etc. Not trying to solo there :dizzy:

Also... when in a dung and trying to be the bad ass DD.. is it better to stick to one target at a time? I feel like it takes to long and I end up bouncing around to either break up a cluster (mass hysteria or AoE) or roll dodging to not get squished.
    I gave up spots for shuffle and veil of blades for more attacks. So now I'm turning into a glass canon (canon being generous) and hate dying and needing to be res'd.... feel like I'm letting them down.

• Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    I main a NB healer and tank, and I practically ignore regen of any kind. Siphoning strikes is enough to keep me going, and I over spam skills constantly. As a tank I light attack after every skill. As a healer I heavy attack when I need magicka with the resto staff passive (crazy regen on top of siphoning).

I did some stamblade dps for a while and noticed a lot more stamina drain, you'll just have to learn to throw in some heavy attacks as needed. Honestly NB's have the easiest resource management in the game. Siphoning strikes is almost cheese mode.

If you're still having problems put some point into Tenacity in the cp tree.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a few questions there, and I'm not experienced with the stamina side of things to give best answers. Ani Cancel has been changed a bit recently but yes basically try winding up a Heavy Attack but triggering a skill just as its about to fly. Or say you have a big animation to lay down an AOE, hit block just after and it should cut the animation. I'm new to it too, but hear it talked alot ;)

Light attack weave just allows you to keep DPS up, and range if a bow, and give resource a change to recover. Only HA gives resource back, but again I'm not experienced on stamina.

Resource management has gotten harden in the last patch so I just know I had to move some jewellery enchants to regen, had to go back to a staff to weave / hit heavys and I moved 100 CP into cost reduction and rest into regen, and for me that's helped.

In terms of dungeon, I only dungeon with guildis, on comns. As it can change per boss / zone. Generally we have a plan who's killing the adds and who's killing the boss. If that makes sense. I'm the bigger hitter so I tend ti stay on boss and our lower level DPS takes the adds, but it really.depends on group / dungeon / dynamics. Etc our NB marks target for us as its a debufg so again we use comns to make sure we ain't double de buffing with a healer or anything.

Sorry I'm not alot of help in your instance. Again if really stuck on resources review the sets you can craft / as some offer better resources' to others but I'm not cluded up on stamina ones
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for typos, on phone too
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the over world I'm fine. But I hit up a dungeon or trial I'm far from fine. I don't die so much as I run out of stamina way to fast.

I know it's me, I think I hit the abilities to much and don't weave in the light attacks enough.

So.... what do you do ? Any tips? I'm almost due for a new set so am open to suggestions.

Thanks ahead!!
    A few days ago, I found a blue ring in a chest that added 400 stamina to my pool. I quickly threw it on and started playing my game. I noticed something was different, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Then I ran into a world boss area that had 3 enemies. These have always been a challenge for me solo, as it usually takes me a few soul gems to clear the area.

This time, not a soul gem was spent, nor did I resurrect freely. I beat them. Easily.

I was floored. Then it hit me. I never ran out of stamina.

Like many, I tend to spam the abilities while watching the green drain, but in this fight, I had to move around a bit. That's when I noticed my stamina never really drained.

I re-examined that ring and noticed it offered me a 90 regen in stamina. The majority of rings I usually wear always regened health, but boosted magicka or stamina. I've never seen a ring that did both (or, most likely, ignored the regen number for the bigger stamina number).

I couldn't believe what 90 did, so of course I had to test my theory out. I found a necklace and ring, then crafted two 120 Stamina Regen enchantments (the max at my level). I put them on the jewelry, and lost some in translating because I still have no clue how jewelry is "leveled".

I ended up with 87 and 92, but put them on anyway. I should state now I'm level 46ish.

I went out into the world and started fighting more enemies. Sure enough, just take a side step for a few moments or hitting with light/heavy (which I usually did anyway) saw the pool restore quickly.

Clearly, this game was trying to teach me something, because in an ironic twist of fate, I found a ring that was at my level. I ran back to craft another glyph for 120 and threw it on the ring. Perfect!

A few hours later, I found another ring with a stam regen/stam combo (this game wants me to L2P). It was white, and definitely weaker than my other two rings, but surprisingly, it was at my level.

Not wanting to pass up the opportunity, I crafted another 120 stam regen glyph and figured the loss of stamina would be worth the 120 regen rate.

I put the glyph on and to my absolute surprise, the ring increased the regen rate and kept the base stamina!

I never even knew this was possible.

There was just one more test I needed to do before I decided how I wanted to play, and that was testing out my regen against those same three world bosses.

This time, I won't be eating anything, but drinking. I want to maximize my stamina regen as best I could. I don't remember the blue drink I took by name, nor the value (max of what I had in inventory, since provisioning is a must in this game), but I can find out if it's important.

But it's going to be anyway, because my regen was well over 1200 (boon + jewelry + game + armor stats).

If I thought the first fight was easy, this was a walk in the park. I took those three down in less than 2 minutes and never once had to worry about regen. I could literally see my regen occur while my twin slashes was doing its animation.

I took maybe 1 or 2 breaks from ability to slash with light/heavy (second nature habit), but they were unnecessary.

I don't know if my story will help you, but I couldn't help but noticed you did what I did with my first stam character: focused wholly on the bucket, but not filling it. A mistake we all seem to make.

Take from this what you will. :smile:
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Only HA gives resource back, but again I'm not experienced on stamina.

With siphoning strikes light attacks give back mag and stam too. IIRC all direct damage procs it. That's why I light attack after everything on my tank. While taunt spamming I'm practically refunded the cost immediately. Taunt spamming with heavy attacks nets me more stam back than I used.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Violynne you wait untill you find 'set' jewellery, everything you just found out PLUS set bonuses too :) it'll be a new world for ya!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is very simple. Maintain 100% uptime on Siphoning Attacks.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    @Violynne you wait untill you find 'set' jewellery, everything you just found out PLUS set bonuses too :) it'll be a new world for ya!
    I'm not wearing anything special and it's already a new world for me. Since I'm a low level, I'm not wearing attributes on armor. I change it out too often to care.

That ring changed the game for me since it was the first time I could literally see the effects of regen, something the game didn't do with my DW NB Assassin.

While it may not be a great choice for PvP play, this DW Sorc has been a pleasure to play. I can pick and choose how to engage combat (though I will admit I love getting toe-to-toe with the enemy). I elected to keep the familiars locked, so no more ads distraction. It's all on me now.

Sadly, I think this newfound knowledge has made me a bit... OP in the open world. Taking out those world bosses is far, far too easy.

I solo'd the Vile Manse before I found the ring, and had 7 deaths to kill all the bosses and the final (which took 3 alone).

L2P. I think it's about time I take the advice of others. It's long overdue.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

Sadly, I think this newfound knowledge has made me a bit... OP in the open world. Taking out those world bosses is far, far too easy.

lol, wait until One Tamriel, World Bosses are going to be a bit different.

You have discovered the balancing act between Regen and Damage. You increase one at the expense of the other. There are two ways to go, one is doing less damage, but keeping your resource pool filling up so you never have to stop using skills, and the other is to burn them down before your resource pool is used up.

I give up ultimate damage myself to have better resource management. 0 DPS from Skills because you have no resources is still 0 DPS. There are many ways to manage your pool, Regen is just one of them. Weaving light and heavy attacks between skills is another. A third is Cost Reduction, which might be better still than increased regen. It all depends on your build and how you play.

So, try out Cost Reduction Glyphs as an Alternative to Regen, using less of your Pool per skill means you don't have to regen as much, and you will find one or the other will keep your pool filled depending on how you play. I find for me, reduced cost is better than regen, but your mileage may vary.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    -snip-OK, so 5 hundings and 2 NM on armour and then 1 bow and 2 daggers also NM (and helmet?) so it bounces depending on the weapon.-snip-

You do realise don't you that you NEVER get the 5 piece bonus from the NM set? Only the items on your active bar count towards set bonuses so the max you will ever get from your NM set is the 4 piece bonus. You will only get up to the 3 piece bonus when using your bow bar.

So the pedant in me says you are running 5 Hundings and 3/4 NM...
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    So, try out Cost Reduction Glyphs as an Alternative to Regen, using less of your Pool per skill means you don't have to regen as much, and you will find one or the other will keep your pool filled depending on how you play.
    That's the balance trade off I'm trying to learn. As a DW sorc, I want to be as flexible as possible, where stepping back and throwing out spells can give my stamina a chance to recharge.

I just remapped my Elite controller and threw on the paddles so I can easily call the LB and left d-pad options faster, and this has also changed the game for me. Prior to the paddles, I always felt fumbling the controller was part of my problem (I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that ZoS put weapon swap on the D-pad left, rather than d-pad up).

L2P isn't just about the game, it's about the controller too. :tongue:

• WanderingBeithe
    WanderingBeithe
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha! On the lap top as I am a tech genius *notreally*

Ok so.. first thank you for all the tips. They really helped. I am ashamed to admit that I had no clue that HA gave me back Stamina. Durr..

I tried the ani cancel thing last night and I am not to sure if it worked, but I get the concept so will be practicing on that. I recently bought a Steam Controller and am hoping that once I have it figured out and mapped well that it will make a lot of this a bit easier.

I will look into regen enchantments... which leads me to yet another question. Do you prefer food over drinks? I've been sticking to blue foods mostly for stam and health. I will of course test this out but I am curious what y'all think.

Now on to the update. I hit 160 yesterday and did some shopping as I am impatient and haven't decided what i want for crafted gear. I bought 4 purple Salvation armour pieces and 3 armour in Viper along with Viper bow. Then 2 Agility (all purples again) and then my buddy gave me a full set of flanking jewelry. The difference was huge... like massive huge and awesome. Did a couple if randoms and kicked digital butt. So that was cool. Also weaved and a lot of heavy attacks.

:)
    And hopes no pendants were hurt in the reading of this message.

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks!

I'm typing on my phone as I can't seem to log in on my lap top for whatever reason.

OK, so 5 hundings and 2 NM on armour and then 1 bow and 2 daggers also NM (and helmet?) so it bounces depending on the weapon. All skills in stamina. And I'm not sure on CP off the top of my head but I'm trying to stick to hit harder, take less damage, cost reduction and regeneration .

Bars.. I've been experimenting so I change up a lot and will adjust depending on the situation. But mostly:
    Bow bar-- grim focus (newish) mark target
    Then poison injection, caltrops and draining shot (think that is the name... knocks them back and I get resources). Ultimate is WW which I have maxed and I loves...

DW bar... always vigor,rending slashes, ambush, killers blade. Them tornado or mass hysteria and ultimate is soul harvest.

So weaving... does that help with the regeneration? I have the foundry add on thing but sometimes it goes by too fast for me (am old) I have been trying to be better with the light attacks.. was explained to hit like a heart beat. .. light attack-ability to hit harder.

But animation cancel? I know you go fast enough that you won't see everything, but could you explain what it is further and how it helps?

I will get gold gear soon, been waiting for that 160 mark.

And yes I know about 4 man dungs etc. Not trying to solo there :dizzy:

Also... when in a dung and trying to be the bad ass DD.. is it better to stick to one target at a time? I feel like it takes to long and I end up bouncing around to either break up a cluster (mass hysteria or AoE) or roll dodging to not get squished.
    I gave up spots for shuffle and veil of blades for more attacks. So now I'm turning into a glass canon (canon being generous) and hate dying and needing to be res'd.... feel like I'm letting them down.

Alcast has an awesome video on youtube on animation canceling. Definitely check it out.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• WanderingBeithe
    WanderingBeithe
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank you!