Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Looking for a change, maybe.

Kylric
Kylric
✭✭
Hello,

I’ve been playing ESO for maybe 4 months now and I really enjoy the game. I currently have a couple of under level 40s that I have turned into crafting mules, and my prime is a level 46 Stam Templar. I’m thinking of turning him into something Magicka and looking for some random thoughts.

Although I enjoy the sampler, I’m just wanting to try something new. I have started a couple of lower level magicka classes, but I’m not the type of player to have alts (other than for crafting). I want to explore, learn and have fun.

I should also state, I don’t PVP and solo 98% of the time. I’m also enjoy the more warrior type of attaching, rather than using a staff. Maybe I can get used to it, but I’m not sure. I’m thinking I would like to stick to one weapon style, since this is also going to be a master crafter (woodworking, blacksmith and clothing). Maybe S&B? I could save the skill points. I’m wondering is a magicka Templar would be a good option. I’ve also been thinking of Mageblade.

I might just stick to stamblade, but I thought I would post for some random input.

One thing I would also state is that I don’t care for the DK. I just don’t find the skill trees interesting to me. Also, I don’t like the sorcerer’s pets. Again, just not my thing.
I purchased some crowns when they went on sale, so I don’t mind converting.

Any advice? Thank you
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, advice...never get into a land war in Asia. Ha, jk.

Alts aren't as bad as they used to be. With Alts, remember that all your vet characters will be equal because they share champion points. So once your account has 160 CPs (you're closer than you think) any vet you have can earn and wear best-in-game gear. And some content is more fun with one class or another. Amd there are some dailies you might want to complete on more than one character. If you decide you want to grind vet City of Ash for the helm, two vets means you can run it twice. But if you don't want to play multi toons, it's no big deal. A single main can collect all your achievements on one character, and they still earn CPs at the same rate that would be available to any future vet you make.

Regardless, your first task is to get your Templar to vet. This opens up a lot of the game for you and starts you earning champion points - very important. Once he's a vet, grab a psijic and do a run in a Wrothgar public dungeon. This will net you 20-30 CPs from the get-go so you can start playing with the tree.

In terms of which character to focus on overall, I really like magic Templars. They're fun and flexible, and they rock pve. A mag Templar is also a quick character to earn your CPs with because they can plow through enemies. They have great sustain. And the Templar skills make it so you never have to be a ranged staff fighter like a sorc. In fact, they're kinda designed to be "in your face." My second fighter is a mag Templar. His attack bar is sword and board w/ piercing jabs, gap closer, radiant Magelight, heal, etc. His retreat bar is a staff for the regen...but this is mostly a buff bar. He does NOT play like a Sorc. (I also have a vet sorc and know what you mean...I find them repetitive and the pets are annoying).

The downside is you're going to give up some power. Mag Templars don't hit quite as hard as stamina. But they get basically infinite health from piercing jabs, so they def make up for it. I supplement my dps with solid gear like Julianos and valkyn skoria. You'd also give up a lot of your weapon skills, which run on stam. Bow, 2h amd dual attacks don't work great on a magplar. But they get great class skills that offset this.

If you try the respec, don't waste crowns on a race change until you've played it a while. Mag temps are fun, but not for everyone. The race passives aren't worth THAT much. Or roll a new character as a mag temp and grind them to 50. Ten hours of running Wrothgar public dungeons on psijic will get you there. Having two temps is not a bad thing. Either way, I wouldn't waste crowns until you've tried the class for a bit.

If you want to play another character, I like stamina Nightblades. My main is one. I actually really like having a stamblade and magplar as my two fighters because they are way different and take on different content. When I want to run maelstrom I rely on my Templar. My Nightblade does my undaunted dps heavy lifting. The play is so different between them it adds a lot of value to the game.

A Nightblade (either magic or stamina) has a HUGE boon - dark cloak. This gives you 4 seconds per use of total blackout from 99% of mobs. In other words, a NB can walk through most areas without fighting. Why would you do this? Well...there are a lot of achievements, quests, etc where it's dang nice to be able to sneak past everyone. Like right now my NB is running Thieve's guild and dark brotherhood dailies...he gets a 50% chance at the motifs each perfect run, and I think I sold $300,000 in motifs last week.

Anyway, that's my input. For me, having a stamblade and magplar are about 90% of my play and I really like them both.

• Kylric
    Kylric
    ✭✭
    I truly do appreciate your detailed response. I have a couple of crafters parked at level 20 and 37. My level 20 is my stamblade. I stopped using him because I had a challenge with healing. The level 37 is already an imperial Templar, which I can switch to a magplar very easy. I want to get them both up in a couple of crafting skills to increase more hirelings.

Yup, with your post, and some alts set-ups I've been thinking about, this is the route I will go. SO I will just have a guild mate help me get to Wrothgar.

Again, thank you