Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Difficulties settling on a class

Bubbles666
Bubbles666
Soul Shriven
Hello, I've in the past tested out the classes in this game, and I've yet to actually choose a main. I'm looking for a class that has decent survivability solo, can play well with a magicka build (unsure if it's possible to change between 5L/2H to 5H/2L without changing your attributes), and I'm also curious whether dual-wielding or a 2-hander is viable for a magicka build or if I should stick with a destruction staff. I dislike pets unless all their maintenance is just summoning and dismissing. Not interested in dedicated healing or tanking either. Not sure if racials are still very important, but I'll choose race based on aesthetics so it's likely best not to add that factor. Sorry for the format, writing this on my phone. Pip pip cheerio.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would help to know what you plan to do in game: dungeons, trials, PvP, fishing?

I would recommend magicka nightblade though. Great solo survivability and damage, high mobility and excellent utility. Probably the most diverse of all the classes, if I had to pick one magicka build as my main it would probably be mageblade.

You can dual wield swords with a magicka build, just make sure and take the Twin Blade & Blunt passive and never, ever actually use any of the dual wield abilities.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Bubbles666
    Bubbles666
    Soul Shriven
    Plan is to mainly do pve content, unlikely to spend much time on trials but not ruling it out. Might do some pvp loosely but it's a secondary concern. Does the nightblade have any decent mitigation or is it mainly based on life steals? Also, does it play well with a destruction staff without changing build from DW/2H? Ideally I'd like the option to switch from melee to range occasionally without a big fuss involved and I'm not really a fan of the bow.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every magicka user has access to Harness Magicka, a nice shield you can throw on for protection and to get some resources back. NB also has a skill called Blur that lets you dodge 20% of the attacks thrown at you and an ultimate called Veil of Blades that is one of the best AoE mitigation skills in the game.

If you're going magicka I would skip the two-hander, it just does not bring much to the table. I like to run 1 destro / 2 swords for DPS, 1 destro / 1 resto for healing or tough solo stuff.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why you want to use 2h, it really has no place in a magicka build.

I'm like you though, I have a hard time finding what to main (altoholic for life). I made a NB tank and a healer (cp272 now I think), and I absolutely love them, but lately I've been experimenting with other classes to see if I like them as well. Made a magicka DK tank, loved it while levelling (tanked to 50 in light armor, it was awesome) and then hated it at 50, tried stam, didn't like it, race changed to make it a healer and still don't care for it. Made a sorc stam tank, don't like dealing with the pets. So far my second favorite aside from my NB's is my stamplar tank that's almost 50. That's a pretty fun spec to play.

If you want something that's amazing solo go with the magblade. Mine is resto/dw and there isn't much she can't take, even with unoptimized gear.
  • Bubbles666
    Bubbles666
    Soul Shriven
    I expected to be told a pyromage DK, but these glowing recommendations for magicka NB tell me I should probably go with that instead as my previous attempts at DK have been less than successful. I thank you for your insight, it is much appreciated.