Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

new player - crafting & single role (DPS)

XtradiuZ
XtradiuZ
Soul Shriven
Hello fellow ESO players,

I'm a new player/returning player of ESO.
My current character is a Stamina NB (DPS), but I also want to make him a master crafter, what I have in mind is this... please advise if this is feasible, I don't mind taking my time to get all or most of the skill points, just want to make sure it's not a fruitless attempt.

Class: Nightblade
Role: DPS/Master Crafter
Plan: see below -
I want to use this character as my main, DPS and crafting. I will focus on one Build (PvE DPS), I have been watching both Deltia and Alcast's guide, so my skill of choice will be 2 bars of Active skills and rest would be Passives that required for the DPS build.
That being said, with above Build, is it possible to max out the entire Crafting Category without touching Keen Eyes and Snakeblood(?)

I understand Food and Potion are always good to have for every character, but I also want to max out Blacksmith, Clothing, Woodwork and Enchanting as well.

My DPS gear focus would be mostly Medium (5/1/1), Dual Wielding and Bow.

Please let me know your thought,

Thank You!
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you make a concerted effort to get all the skill points you can (skyshards, quests, group challenges, dungeons, etc) and you focus on one role you should be fine to make your main your master crafter.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In theory, I think yes.

But you will have an easier time maxing crafting if you keen eye everything early on and do a lot of deconning, refining and so on. Remember there are points when re-specing your skills is your friend.

Also - Soul Trap is an okay DoT at low levels
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend opting out of hirelings as well. Sure, they're nice, but I typically devote extra skill points on my alt characters only. The yield of a hireling is the equivalent of maybe 2-3 minutes of farming. You'll do fine. It might take a few respec's as you change your bars and borrow the skill points from skill that you no longer use in your rotation but needed to level up the individual skill lines.
  • XtradiuZ
    XtradiuZ
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks guys!

Yes, I will be very careful with the (active) combat skills I pick, I would even skip some of them completely if it doesn't get mentioned or used in people's guide. Basically, DPS would be my only role with only necessary combat skills, rest would be in Passives and Crafting.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    XtradiuZ wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Yes, I will be very careful with the (active) combat skills I pick, I would even skip some of them completely if it doesn't get mentioned or used in people's guide. Basically, DPS would be my only role with only necessary combat skills, rest would be in Passives and Crafting.

Honestly it's a pretty good policy to level up everything you can, or at least what makes sense. There's not much use in leveling destruction staff for a stamblade, but leveling all your class skills at least to the point where you morph them is a good idea. ZOS tends to go through the skills a few times a year and make pretty sweeping changes and getting put in a position where you have to take your max-level character out grinding to level up skills you skipped kinda sucks.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good point about leveling up everything. Eventually it will all be useful, and it's nice to have the potential to switch around. Also trying out all the different skills/combinations will make you a better player.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    There are more than enough skill points available to master all the crafting skills besides your armor/weapon skills as pointed out above. The alt that I play the most has about 340+ skill points and has 35ish unspent with many skill points put into crafting. (all crafting professions are rank 50) One thing that is important though that you will want to do as a crafter is to keep your research slots fill at all times. With each additional researched trait on each gar piece, the time to research doubles. This makes learning all traits a lengthy procedure. There are passive skills in each of the equipment crafting professions that reduce the time for research, these are worthwhile when can spare the points. Remember you can respec out of those skills after you research everything.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • XtradiuZ
    XtradiuZ
    Soul Shriven
    Ah I see.
    Thanks for the tips!

I guess my approach would be as follows -

1st: obtains all the necessary combat skills for my DPS build for the Dark Brotherhood/Hist update.
    2nd: max out Passives that's needed for my DPS build.
    3rd: max out all the craftings, minus Keen Eye, Hireling and Snakeblood.
    3a. I heard hirelings have been nerfed and also follow Pandorii's suggestion.
    3b. research as many as possible (focus on the one that matter the most, such as Divine for armor, Precise for weapon, etc)
    4th: once Crafting is maxed out, I will work on rest of class skills and leftover s combat skills

Thank You!
    Edited by XtradiuZ on September 7, 2016 5:23PM
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This would be my list:
    1. Start researching traits, now, yesterday, whatever. This will take the longest without a doubt.
    2. As you level, level your class and weapon skill lines. Do this by keeping at least one skill from each line on your bar while you quest or grind.
    3. Also as you level deconstruct everything you don't wear or research. You don't even need to put points into crafting yet if you don't intend to craft your own gear while leveling and are okay with not getting many resources back from deconstruction.
    4. Finally, once you have most of your skills unlocked and mostly leveled up, look into respeccing all those points you spent leveling into your crafting skills.

YMMV, but for me 1-50 is all about leveling all my skill lines, after you collect some skill points from the other alliances or DLC or Cyrodiil you'll have enough to be a serous crafter.
  • XtradiuZ
    XtradiuZ
    Soul Shriven
    great!
    thanks wayfarerx!

Yep, I have been doing 1 and 3 you mentioned, since I'm a total nub, number 2 is the scariest part for me, because I don't want to mess up the skill point allocation. (I do, however have each class skill and weapon skill on my bar to leveling purpose)
    I understand we can re-spec the skill points, but I heard it's rather costly, like 100 gold per skill points? (Unless I can picka nd choose which skill to re-spec), otherwise I may have trouble re-spec my points due to newbie with initial low income.

Once again guys, thank you so much for all the tips and suggestions.
    This is rather an encouragement, knowing I can max out all crafting and still be able to focus on one role (DPS).
    Edited by XtradiuZ on September 7, 2016 5:39PM
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just some thoughts:

-Sharpened is more requested than Precise for Weapons (Blacksmithing/WW included). Precise is definitely second best.
    **What trait do restos usually use?

-Inferno staff is currently vastly superior to Ice Staff and Lightning Staff. Might want to focus on that one first.

-For Armor, Divines and Infused are the top two. All Divines is used for TBS (one of the current best-in-slot crafted gear sets for many builds). Typically, people use Infused on the big pieces (Head, Chest, Legs, AND SHIELDS) and divines on the small ones (gloves, boots, shoulders, waist).

-Impenetrable is universally used on all pieces for PvP players. This makes it just as good as divines/infused.

-Training might be useful for you if you plan on making your own gear. It'll help you level up faster, if that's something you plan on doing. Might be more important for future alts, when your crafter is more developed.

-Heavy Chest and Medium Legs are commonly used in most builds, since they provide the most armor value (say you're a magicka type doing 5-1-1).

-Nirnhoned is the most expensive and usually left for last, but doing them early can open up money-making opportunities, selling nirnhoned items for people to research.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked a friend - the two best traits for resto staff are Precise (for crit heals) and defending (for extra defense, since you probably won't be doing much DPS on that bar).
  • XtradiuZ
    XtradiuZ
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks Pandorii!
    I will be focusing on Sharpened and Precise trait then!

I'm a Stamina NB, so I think those two traits on weapon would work nicely.

Thank You!