Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

All on one character or distributed amongst alts?

bladeheartwolfeb17_ESO
I'm a returning player from 2 years back and, I have to admit that my recollection of many aspects of this game is such that in reality I'm really a new player.

However, I have a character that is high level which has had all of it's skill points refunded, so I was considering making that character my single 'Crafter' for all. Are there any notable disadvantages with such a choice? Or notable advantages with distributing the manufacturing amongst alts?

Many thanks. :)
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One convenient advantage of an universal crafter is that you do not have to constantly change characters as you craft a set. And there are enough skillpoints to be had in the game so that the crafter can still be an effective combatant.
  • bladeheartwolfeb17_ESO
    Cheers.

Thanks for the prompt reply. :)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You want blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking on one character so you need to learn the motifs only once. Ideally, they'd also have enchanting so you can fully prepare an armor set without relogging, but this is less important.
    Alchemy and Provisioning can go to whomever. Ideally, all your characters will train it anyway for the passives extending buff duration.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main has all her crafting skills maxed so if I need anything done, I do straight to her. All my other toons are really for PVE or PVP. My main also is my achievement character.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • solangesimondsen
    I agree that Clothing, Woodworking and Blacksmithing on one character is super convenient. Like you, I just got back from a two year absence, but I already had those three on my main. It is SUPER great now, since materials are in one place that doesn't take up bank space. So any of your alts can casually gather materials more easily.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting Passives allocation is the easy part. The other question is how much research did you do prior.

If that character was doing all the research before then prob the best one to be master. If not then you might consider making the one with the most complete research master, if they also have as many crafts mastered.

If you are starting research from scratch then definitely put it on the one that has the most crafts mastered to allow maximum research passives.

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah there's definitely no problem having an all in one character. My main character is my crafter in all aspects, theres plenty of skill points. Take pride in having an awesome character that can do everything :)

I think one reason people may split the roles up is to give their alts something to do. But like others have said, you wont need to constantly switch characters. You can use the other ones to focus on different play styles etc :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • bladeheartwolfeb17_ESO
    Thank you all for the insight and advice. :)
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is also the main crafter for all my toons. Reasoning being that I won't have to relearn motifs and convenience.
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my main reasons for 1 crafter is style motifs. There are that many styles out now that getting the styles you want on multiple crafters would be painful and/or expensive.