Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Did i mess up with this toon?

LodanRolfjord
LodanRolfjord
Soul Shriven
i made a Templar with 2H Weapons, Heavy Armor, Dawnswrath/Heals

Im not new at all to MMO's, but im a bit confused as to how i should proceed with this character for Raids.

Im only level 11 and when i start raiding, what role will i fill?

Any suggestions on what skill line i should use or if i should change weapons (like a 1h Sword and shield for Tank role) im just not sure but because its early in my play through, im comfortable switching weapon types and resetting stats so i can Raid effectively.

Best Answer

• Nephimana
    Nephimana
    ✭✭✭
    Well typically here you usually pick one role and do your job as best as you can to save us from having a bunch of half damage/healer/tanks that do decent damage great for solo pve but for raids no, when you could have full dedicated damage dealers that do crazy damage with strong healers up back dedicated and you know you'll never die because they've expertly built themselves so.
    Just pick which one you want.
    On my magic Templar I'm a dedicated healer but I can still do damage well.
    To help you out, the way you do damage is through abilities, weapon damage and either stamina or magika. Have a strong weapon, the more stamina you have, the stronger your abilities, the more you can use them. So I would say pick between healer or stamina. Because you can't really pick magika and try do stamina, you won't be that strong. Change your armor, I know heavy armor is stronger, more defence, but medium gives massive bonuses to stamina and damage, light armor to magic and spells.
    What race are you and what are you playing on?
    Edited by Nephimana on September 4, 2016 9:53PM
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't really ruin a character in ESO. You can level the wrong skills, amd cost yourself a few thousand gold to respec, but you can't ruin a character.

Sounds like you're leveling a stamina Templar. Weapons skills run off stamina...that and you're wanting to be a bit tankier says stam. In end game, you'd be a sort of tanky self-sufficient dps. You couldn't tank quite as well as a Dragonknight, but you can hit twice as hard. Your heals will be weaker than a mag Templar...by a lot. But your heals will keep you self sufficient, just they won't be great for the group. You will also support the group with some great stamina regen moves, like repentance. I like stam Templar, it's fun. Some tips:

1. If you do decide to go stam, just put all your attribute points (the one you get when you level, not skill points) into stamina. Don't get all stressed about mixing this up...by vet level you'll have gear flexibility to increase health or magic if you need to.

2. Level your class skills, they'll be your bread and butter. Look up the Templar skills online - if a skill has a stamina based morph, you want it. For skills that only go magic, you still want some of the heals - honor the dead (cheaper than Bol), repentance, cleaning ritual, rune focus. A skill levels when it's on your active weapon bar, whether you use it or not. Always be removing max level skills and putting new ones on as you play so that you get your skills all leveled for end game.

3. As a stam Templar you will probably want 2h leveled, investing in those skills. Esp the finisher, as you lose the magic finisher from the temp,ar skills. But you should level all of the stamina weapon lines. As your 2h gets up toward 50, switch out with a training bow, amd just one bow skill. Use the other attacks you're used to. It will be almost the same bar, but it will level your bow. Who knows, you may want to use bow some day. There is so much XP in the early quests and leveling to 50 that it's easy to level 4+ weapon lines...saving awful grind time later on.

4. Hunt sky's hards and spend on all the passives in these lines. There are enough skill points in the game to do this five times over.

5. Early on, wear half medium and half heavy armor. You want both lines to level to 50. You will eventually probably wear 5/2 or 2/5 depending on your play style when you get to vet. Medium armor helps you hit harder and regen stamina. Heavy makes you tanky. I'd suggest leaning toward 5 medium...the passives are worth it when you have five mediums on. Don't fret about the loss in armor...make your belt, hands and three other pieces medium. You lose like 15% of your armor rating over heavy, but the damage boost is massive.

6. If you're going to ever be a crafter to make your own armor, create an alt and start researching traits now, lol.

7. If you have the dlc, do some Thieve's guild dailies (or anything else) to level your legerdemain and TG lines. If you ever plan to pvp, you will be sneaking, and Improved Hiding reduces the cost of sneaking by 40%. Pick chests and locks and pockets as you play to avoid hours of grind later on. The Thieves Guild story line and dailies will give you lots of stuff to fence for legerdemain leveling.

8. Fighters guild has some great stam abilities so work this up too. The ultimate is a semi-must have. Silver shards is a good range ability. Cammo hunter is great for increasing your crit rating, which temps need help with.

9. Undaunted has some fun skills, but they're all optional, IMO. This line levels by running undaunted dailies once you get to lvl 43.

10. Play a little pvp. The assault and support lines level as you earn AP. If you hate pvp, go repair walls for keeps your faction owns...this is an easy way to open the first 1-6ish levels. As a stam build you will want retreat maneuver, vigor, caltrops. I like the ultimates too...barrier can be essential in trials.

11. Craft skills. So here you have some options. It is extremely useful to be able to craft your own armor, food and potions. Ultimately you'll need a lot of this stuff. There are enough skill points in the game to use your main as your crafter. However, this means a lot of grinding and sky shard hunting. You might therefore want to create a specific crafter character on your account. Level them to the low 20s, give them basic fighting skills, then get the same sky shards you grabbed with your main. This should allow them to invest the skills points in the crafting skills to research and make gear. To make things even easier, consider two craters Alts - one for smith, wood and cloth and another for provision, alchemy and enchant. The craft skills lines basically consume a total of 150ish skill points...which is why it's easier to spread them out over multi toon's.

12. Plan your Alts. If creating secondary characters for crafting or anything else, create ones you could someday play by choosing a good class, race, appearance,name, etc. I started playing mostly with a Nightblade and sorc. A year later I wanted to try Templar. My craft alt had been planned for this and when I wanted to try Templar he was already level 35ish with a lot of skills leveled. You might end up investing a lot of time in Alts (or not). Either way, it's best to create once you might someday play.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly you've got to ask, do you want to be a tank, dps or healer?

In vet raids IF youre a stamina templar, unless lucky you'll find it hard to get in as DPS.
    Why? Because CP makes a big DPS boost and you'll be low. Also Maelstrom Weapons, gold armour etc.

My point is that as a competitive Stamina DPS, you will be at a disadvantage to other players because of their Gear, CP level and experience.

But as a tank or healer you can do this effectively at low level.

For raid ideally you want a DK tank so if u don't mind tanking u could create a DK, although if u want to stay as Templar that's ok but I reccomend DK due to its passives.

As a healer you can be any class but Templar is generally the go to, although your main heal is Healing Springs and you'll wanna get the set "Spell Power Cure".
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i made a Templar with 2H Weapons, Heavy Armor, Dawnswrath/Heals

Im not new at all to MMO's, but im a bit confused as to how i should proceed with this character for Raids.

Im only level 11 and when i start raiding, what role will i fill?

Any suggestions on what skill line i should use or if i should change weapons (like a 1h Sword and shield for Tank role) im just not sure but because its early in my play through, im comfortable switching weapon types and resetting stats so i can Raid effectively.

I've respeced my first character so much it isn't even funny. I've probably spent over 100K in gold just onskill respecs. This is because the game is so flexble, any class can fill any of the "roles" - Tank, Healer, Damage, but then there is also PVP in Cyrodil and then the Hybrid Imperial City PvE / PVP.

You might try out a morph of a skill you think will be cool, but then realize you made a mistake and don't like it. Or you won't understand the value of a certain skill until much later in the game. Then an Ah-Hah goes of in your head and you make a major adjustment to your play style. For example, all through my levelling I thought Veil of Blades for Nightblades was a silly ultimate. Now it's my major defense against the dreaded Burst Gank, and it a major damage mitigator in Trials.

So basically don't sweat it at level 11. You have 50 levels to experiment and try things out, and then another 160 Chamion "levels" after that. Then when you start looking at the gear you want to invest at the Legendary Level, a certain armor set or weapon might bring out certain strengths you didn't see before and completely change how you play.