Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Player returning - A couple of tips please

Wolfhammer
Wolfhammer
✭✭✭
Hi,
Returning after a fairly long absence from the game so am reading through the forums to try and get a grasp of how things are at the moment.. A couple of things caught my eye.

1. Crafting bags, I gather (no pun intended) that these are big bags for all harvestables so we are not cluttering up adventure bags? Is that correct and how does one get these?
2. Writs? Can you give me more info on these?

I've prob been away since about 6 months after launch so could you give me some brief changes to ease me back in? 100% essential Q.O.L mods?

Thanks in advance folks...
Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the crafting bag pun. :)
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting bags are only for monthly subscribers. So cool I want to cry. Writs are just ways to level your crafting by making stuff i.e. Leveling black smithing by making an iron dagger then turning it in with the chance to get mats. There is one for every profession: food and alchemy, wood working, etc... Go to the first major city so for AD it's Auridon. Go to mages guild it should be there to get the quest. Then unlock Writs.
    Edited by DHale on September 1, 2016 3:10PM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • drwookieb14_ESO
    Crafting bag also helps free up space in your bank correct? Since all crafting reagent can go in the bag instead. Is there a max to the bag?
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, all crafting mats should automatically go into the bag. There is a limit, something like 4 billion items.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back. I just returned after a hiatus myself.
    Wolfhammer wrote: »
    1. Crafting bags, I gather (no pun intended) that these are big bags for all harvestables so we are not cluttering up adventure bags? Is that correct and how does one get these?
    Requires an ESO Plus subscription. Yes, it's a giant crafts bag shared between all your characters. As long as you have an ESOP sub, you can add as much as you want to the bag. If the sub ends, you still have access to the bag, but cannot add to it until the sub is started again.
    When you start the game, you'll speak to two people who'll teach you about crafting. It's easy to do, though a bit mediocre. You get some free stuff, so it's worth it.

Once you do this, you'll see notices on the writs boards. There are two boards:
    -Consumables (alchemy, enchanting, provisioning)
    -Crafting (blacksmith, clothier, woodwork)

Each writ will have a few items you'll need to create. Once you've completed them, you'll take them to a staging area. Your reward will depend on level. You only need to make the minimum level of each item, so you won't have to worry about attributes.

Writs are very time consuming, because you'll be grinding for materials.

I do a few every now and then, just because I "dispose" of the materials I have left over before moving onto the next leveled area. They're okay, but I couldn't imagine myself going after the achievement. This is definitely a grind fest and the rewards certainly aren't worth it, to me.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Welcome back. I just returned after a hiatus myself.
    Requires an ESO Plus subscription. Yes, it's a giant crafts bag shared between all your characters. As long as you have an ESOP sub, you can add as much as you want to the bag. If the sub ends, you still have access to the bag, but cannot add to it until the sub is started again.
    When you start the game, you'll speak to two people who'll teach you about crafting. It's easy to do, though a bit mediocre. You get some free stuff, so it's worth it.

Once you do this, you'll see notices on the writs boards. There are two boards:
    -Consumables (alchemy, enchanting, provisioning)
    -Crafting (blacksmith, clothier, woodwork)

Each writ will have a few items you'll need to create. Once you've completed them, you'll take them to a staging area. Your reward will depend on level. You only need to make the minimum level of each item, so you won't have to worry about attributes.

Writs are very time consuming, because you'll be grinding for materials.

I do a few every now and then, just because I "dispose" of the materials I have left over before moving onto the next leveled area. They're okay, but I couldn't imagine myself going after the achievement. This is definitely a grind fest and the rewards certainly aren't worth it, to me.

Fair points on all, but doing daily crafting writs on a few alts is a very good way of building up a weekly supply of varying gold mats, not to mention about 100 odd k in gold, just from doing writs, add to that, xp for training bars or w/e, its worth doing.

Time consuming and irritating but worth doing, but you do need a good stockpile of whatever mats you use for your writs, and every so often top the stocks up.

I do them pretty much every day on 6/7 chars, and I dont grind for mats, and rake in around 100k gold every week just from writs, and a healthy amount of gold mats.

BTW get lazy writ crafter, its a godsend for multiple writs on a few chars.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »
    Fair points on all, but doing daily crafting writs on a few alts is a very good way of building up a weekly supply of varying gold mats, not to mention about 100 odd k in gold, just from doing writs, add to that, xp for training bars or w/e, its worth doing
    Fair rebuttal, but I have zero need for amassing gold. There's nothing in the game to use it on, aside from bag space and repairs. I've more gold in my account than I can spend.

Just recently, I mucked up a character after spending over 100k increasing bag size. I deleted it without a second thought (though I do wish we could recoup the motifs), and created a new one.

I'm the player you may run across who goes up to you, wanting to trade, and gives you a motif for 1 gold. ;)

I'm absolutely not the player who strives to be 500 CP with trillions of gold, and accolades.

I just play to have a fun time. :)

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Fair points on all, but doing daily crafting writs on a few alts is a very good way of building up a weekly supply of varying gold mats, not to mention about 100 odd k in gold, just from doing writs, add to that, xp for training bars or w/e, its worth doing
    Fair rebuttal, but I have zero need for amassing gold. There's nothing in the game to use it on, aside from bag space and repairs. I've more gold in my account than I can spend.

Just recently, I mucked up a character after spending over 100k increasing bag size. I deleted it without a second thought (though I do wish we could recoup the motifs), and created a new one.

I'm the player you may run across who goes up to you, wanting to trade, and gives you a motif for 1 gold. ;)

I'm absolutely not the player who strives to be 500 CP with trillions of gold, and accolades.

I just play to have a fun time. :)

The game needs more peeps like you lass, respects, *does much bowing*
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies peeps,
    I got in game last night after re-subbing so saw the craft bag which is a huge improvement, and was nicely stocked from my launch play-time.

I'm still in the starter area having rolled a Breton Templar so just deciding on a good DPS/Healer build and what weaps I'm going to use... Leaning towards bow and resto staff at the moment but that could easily change..

I'd welcome any advice from my fellow Temps however :)

Oh and what would THE essential add-ons be these days for QOL improvements?
    I got the map ones that show Skyshards and a couple of other things and the loot drop add-in but thats about it..

Cheers

P.S. Oh and is resetting skills still 100g per point? The cost always got on my *** at launch, not the way to encourage theory-crafting and testing new stuff.
    Edited by Wolfhammer on September 2, 2016 10:40AM
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started recently too and started Breton bow / heal Templar. Was advised not to mix Stam and magika so adjusted things and it's hugely better. Bow was fun but I was spread to thinly and starting to get owned.

Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Toomdad
    Toomdad
    ✭✭✭
    I had come back after a long hiatus and found this was a pretty good synopsis of changes with each patch.

https://m.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/wiki/returning?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    I started recently too and started Breton bow / heal Templar. Was advised not to mix Stam and magika so adjusted things and it's hugely better. Bow was fun but I was spread to thinly and starting to get owned.

Really? That's interesting.. I was under the impression it would be good to mix the two as you could batter your magika and switch to stam abilities for a few while magika replenishes then switch back.

So how have you adjusted things???
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Toomdad wrote: »
    I had come back after a long hiatus and found this was a pretty good synopsis of changes with each patch.

https://m.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/wiki/returning?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Thanks for that <3
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭

Really? That's interesting.. I was under the impression it would be good to mix the two as you could batter your magika and switch to stam abilities for a few while magika replenishes then switch back.

I basically re did my skills (700 crowns) and put them all in magika based skills. I had already spread character points between health and magika.

Depends how you want to play. I was having fun with bow but all magika made me much better
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭

I basically re did my skills (700 crowns) and put them all in magika based skills. I had already spread character points between health and magika.

Depends how you want to play. I was having fun with bow but all magika made me much better

Ok then, seems I'll have to rethink.. I'm only level 7 so it won't kill me...

Thanks
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At lvl 7 it won't matter much - but going forward you may want to pick one stat and run with it. You can respec with gold at a later date (when you have plenty - though it will be cheaper now than later). What happened is that there used to be soft caps, so once you put so much in one stat it had diminishing returns, so it could make sense to start spending in another stat. Soft caps are now gone, so you can stack as much into one stat as you want. Since damage (and healing) scales with the stat value, you boost damage the higher the stat is. So the most common strategy right now is to just put all points into one stat, and then use other methods (sets, enchants) to boost the "off stats", if you feel you need to (e.g., magicka classes may put a bit more in stamina so they have a pool to CC break or dodge). Also, with the removal of vet ranks they changed how stats were accumulated (spread the extra stats from v1-v16 over lvls 1-50), so if you haven't yet looked, your lvl 7 would have some extra points to spend.
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    I do them pretty much every day on 6/7 chars, and I dont grind for mats, and rake in around 100k gold every week just from writs, and a healthy amount of gold mats.

What? Does the rewards go upp when you get to higher levels, I only get a little when I turn them in, just tried it out twice as a beginner :smile:

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What? Does the rewards go upp when you get to higher levels, I only get a little when I turn them in, just tried it out twice as a beginner :smile:
    Yes, the gold and XP you get per writ are based on your character level (while the actual inspiration and items you get for writs are based on the writ level). So a level 6 doing a writ will get significantly less gold than a level 50 doing the same level of writ, but they'll get the same amount of inspiration and the same crafting mats container from it.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)