Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Which traits should I research first.

SameMeteor26
SameMeteor26
✭✭✭
So I want to make my chraracter into a crafter. Which traits should I research first for armor and which traits should I research first for weapons.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armor:
    • Divines
    • Infused
    • Impenetrable

Weapons:
    • Sharpened
    • Precise

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • Asata
    Asata
    ✭✭✭
    Research Training for armor first, then the ones @Enemy-of-Coldharbour said. Actually, do them in this order...

Medium:
    Training - everyone uses this for leveling, on all 7 pieces
    Divines - used largely because people use Twice-Born Star which gives 2 mundus effects
    Impenetrable - used for PvP
    Infused - if someone isn't using TBS this is probably the most useful for PvE, other than Reinforced (or training)
    Well-fitted - this is only really useful for people using bowling builds and such in PvP, but you might see a few requests
    Reinforced - adds armor. it's not bad but isn't as popular as it could be. still, it's better than the other choices remaining
    Nirnhoned - the only other remotely useful one

Heavy:
    Training
    Sturdy - used for tanks, which is largely what heavy armor is for
    Infused - higher priority than Divines because tanks tend to do either Sturdy or Infused and don't run TBS
    Divines
    Impenetrable
    Reinforced

Light:
    Training
    Infused
    Divines
    Impenetrable
    Reinforced

Weapons:
    Sharpened - pretty much the best weapon trait
    Precise - some people might want this as well. Dagger with precise and axe with sharpened are popular endgame BiS
    Training - not actually very useful as it only adds ~3%, but some people might still want it. I'd suggest they use Sharpened instead.
    Nirnhoned - it's the only other one that is even remotely decent, though this one will set you back a pretty penny. Best to buy the nirncrux for as cheap as you can (shop around) then find a crafter that will make an item for research for you for free if you supply the nirncrux... this goes for nirnhoned armor pieces as well.

The rest generally don't really matter, just gotta research them for the trait number so you can craft better sets. Training will definitely want to be the first one you research for armors though. If people want you to craft them armors, probably 9/10 times it's going to be people leveling alts wanting training gear - or maybe you yourself wanting it for your alts.
    Edited by Asata on September 1, 2016 11:57PM
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what @Asata and @Enemy-of-Coldharbour have said but I'll add that you should research across the table and not down it. Example: research all training traits and then move on to the next one. Research is a massive time sink.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget:
    Defending - useful for tanks, research mainly on 1 handed weapons.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • SublimeSparo
    SublimeSparo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armor:
    • Divines
    • Infused
    • Impenetrable
    • Sturdy

Weapons:
    • Sharpened
    • Precise
    • Defending

This but i'd add the bolded items #TankGearMatters.
    Also Training is decent all round while levelling/ for alt's, and if you can pick up a nirnhoned shield to research too as it's best trait for them.
    Edited by SublimeSparo on September 2, 2016 5:54AM
    PS4 EU CP900. PS4 NA CP600,
    vAA HM ☆ vHRC HM ☆ vSO HM ☆ vMOL
    4th Console vMOL clear,
    vMA cleared on all classes stam & magic

My Tribe
    EU
    High Sparo - Altmer - mSo DD.
    Wood Sparo - Bosmer - sNB DD
    Nord Sparo - Nord -sDK DD/Tank.
    Bubble Girl - Imperial -sTe DD
    Succubus Sue - Breton - mNB Tank.
    Andrana Stormlock - Altmer - mTe Healer/ DD
    Elvali Marvani - Dunmer - mDK DD.
    Venemus Draconem - Redguard - sDK DD
    Jayri Leki - Redguard - sSo DD.
    Miss Jabsalot - Altmer - mTe PvP DD/ Tank
    Mireli Hlaano - Dunmer - mNB DD.
    Ms Shanks - Redguard - sNB DD/ le bank

NA
    Dilemma Dame - Altmer - mDK DD
    Stamsorc Kitty - Redguard - sSor DD
    Aia Draconis - Imperial - sDK Tank
    Decides-Who-Lives - Argonian - mTe Healer
    You wont stop me - Altmer - mSo DD
    Stab in the dark - Khajiit - sNB DD
    Jabjabjab Beambeambeam - Dunmer - mTe DD
    Spatium Auxiliarus - Imperial - hTe Tank&bank
    Spectre - Altmer - mNB DD
    Can't-Main-Tank -Argonian - sDK offTank
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Armor:
    • Divines
    • Infused
    • Impenetrable

Weapons:
    • Sharpened
    • Precise

Thats the problem, traits changes done with DB patch are useless and not upto par with these traits.

Only may be 5% builds are running situationally other traits
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on September 2, 2016 6:15AM
  • JungleBoot
    JungleBoot
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what @Asata and @Enemy-of-Coldharbour have said but I'll add that you should research across the table and not down it. Example: research all training traits and then move on to the next one. Research is a massive time sink.

This is awesome advice and I strongly suggest you heed it. But, you shouldn't concern yourself with a crafting toon until you have leveled it to 40 or 50. Why? You will need the skill points. Blacksmithing alone uses more than 20. And you will need that much for each of the complimentary crafting skills (clothing and woodworking) Look, in my opinion your toon either fights or crafts. Once you turn it into a crafter, their fighting days are over.

For raising the skill tree faster, you will need to dismantle the highest possible gear you can obtain. That means if you can get your hands on 100 rubedite daggers, do it. It beats dismantling thousands of lower level items and you may still be dismantling thousands.

One thing you can do that will allow you to play and prepare for crafting is research only. That means leveling the crafting skill high enough through deconstruction to invest into researching more than 1 trait ( ideally 3 at a time).

Finally, when you have researched enough that your crafter might actually be useful for something --- you might have stopped playing. The time sink is real. ESO plus membership will help with research times by 10%.

Well, I hope I made sense and good luck. Enjoy the ride. :smile:
    Platform: PS4
    CP 405
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asata wrote: »
    Research Training for armor first, then the ones @Enemy-of-Coldharbour said. Actually, do them in this order...

Medium:
    Training - everyone uses this for leveling, on all 7 pieces
    Divines - used largely because people use Twice-Born Star which gives 2 mundus effects
    Impenetrable - used for PvP
    Infused - if someone isn't using TBS this is probably the most useful for PvE, other than Reinforced (or training)
    Well-fitted - this is only really useful for people using bowling builds and such in PvP, but you might see a few requests
    Reinforced - adds armor. it's not bad but isn't as popular as it could be. still, it's better than the other choices remaining

Heavy:
    Training
    Sturdy - used for tanks, which is largely what heavy armor is for
    Infused - higher priority than Divines because tanks tend to do either Sturdy or Infused and don't run TBS
    Divines
    Impenetrable
    Reinforced

Light:
    Training
    Infused
    Divines
    Impenetrable
    Reinforced

Weapons:
    Sharpened - pretty much the best weapon trait
    Precise - some people might want this as well. Dagger with precise and axe with sharpened are popular endgame BiS
    Training - not actually very useful as it only adds ~3%, but some people might still want it. I'd suggest they use Sharpened instead.
    Nirnhoned - it's the only other one that is even remotely decent, though this one will set you back a pretty penny. Best to buy the nirncrux for as cheap as you can (shop around) then find a crafter that will make an item for research for you for free if you supply the nirncrux... this goes for nirnhoned armor pieces as well.

The rest generally don't really matter, just gotta research them for the trait number so you can craft better sets. Training will definitely want to be the first one you research for armors though. If people want you to craft them armors, probably 9/10 times it's going to be people leveling alts wanting training gear - or maybe you yourself wanting it for your alts.

I agree with most of the post but these days a good portion of tanks are running gear sets that don't give armor buffs, IE tavas and alkosh or dragonguard. So tanks need reinforced on the chest and legs, with nirn on the shield, just to have more armor.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay on top of the light and medium research times, as they both are on the same crafting table so they aren't actually as separate as you might think.

Get an app that will help you track what you do and don't have researched. Lock items that you are keeping around just for research, unlock them when you are ready for them.

A temporary toon to research items alongside your eventual crafter is useful. Double the hireling mails and the mule space and nailing down traits to avoid accidental deconstruction pain, is nice. Also, 2 toons can pass created enchantments back and forth so you can level enchanting.
    Xbox NA
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapons: sharpened, precise, defending
    Light and medium armor: divines, impen
    Heavy armor: Reinforced, sturdy, divines, impen