The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gold improvements

OldGamerESO
OldGamerESO
✭✭✭
When you upgraded to gold do you use enough mats for 100 percent guarantee or is it cheaper to risk item and try x times? Up through purple I just make it 100 percent, but gold matts are costly.

Thanks!
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really will want 100% chance to upgrade. If you fail you lose the item at whatever upgraded point it is currently and the materials you attempted with so you'll lose tempers/tannins/etc as well. The fact that the gold mats are costly means all the more reason to make sure they succeed and you don't pay the cost and get nothing (destroying item and mats).
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, always use 100% for purple/gold I think due to cost. Max the passives out tho so its cheaper (8 gold)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The math is all wrong in this game. If it is not a 100% chance, it is at best 50/50, no matter what % is given.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    8/8 every time, don't trust RNGesus!
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always use enough to make it 100% as I have previously tried at 75% and 80% and lost valuable resources.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    100 every time!
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Always 100. I did it once at 80 thinking she'll be right. It was an expensive mistake.
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    always 100%
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a small chance of successfully completing the upgrade on a traited item if your less than 100%. And when I say small, I mean small. So, if you follow the mantra of 100% chance to fail at less than 100% chance to improve, your thinking good.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    IF the odds are actually fair and accurate then in the long run you would end up using the same number of improvement items however many you use eg. in the long run to improve 100 items to gold if you go with 8/8 (100%) then you would use 100 x 8 = 800; if you go with 1/8 (12.5%) then 7/8 times it would fail so you'd need to attempt improving 800 times to get 100 items so you would use 800 x 1 = 800 so exactly the same number. As failing also costs you the materials, trait gems, style stones, improvement items at previous levels you are always better off going with 100% and it gets progressively worse from 7/8 to 1/8. If the odds aren't fair (a lot of people seem to think 7/8 doesn't give you a 87.5% chance, I wouldn't know as I've always gone with 100%) then it's even more in your interests to go with 100%
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673