Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

We can change an enchant, why can we not change a trait?

altemriel
altemriel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Dear ZOS, first of all I want to say I love this game, screw the bugs :), it is just awesome!!

But I have a question, we can change the type of enchantment on an equipment (re-enchant), why is there no option to change a trait of an existing armor piece, weapon or jewelry?
I mean, it is just some magical stone embedded inside of it, so why can we just change it, just like we can change the kind of enchant that some gear piece has on it?

This would solve the issue with RNG that most of the people have, that they get gear with useless traits dropped.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @Wrobel @lambert.tdb16_ESO
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An ability to change traits could be one of the best things to happen to this game and clear up the EXTREME RNG issues that many experience. It doesn't necessarily have to be an easy thing to do, but having the ability in some way to change traits would be fantastic.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    An ability to change traits could be one of the best things to happen to this game and clear up the EXTREME RNG issues that many experience. It doesn't necessarily have to be an easy thing to do, but having the ability in some way to change traits would be fantastic.

yes, I agree. lets say, give it to master crafters (all crafting skills maxed), or at least to people who know at least 6 traits of each. but hell yeah, it would solve all the RNG issues!
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see this and if you can get the trait stone by deconstruction we should be able to replace it also. Max crafting skills and a skill point requirement to do this plus like tempers (x) number of trait stones needed to get a 100% success rate
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    we can change the type of enchantment on an equipment (re-enchant), why is there no option to change a trait of an existing armor piece, weapon or jewelry?

Just a thought, traits are part of the gear think of embedded in the gear but enchants are after the fact. Kinda think it should stay like it is but if they change it that would be fine too. I just feel that things should not be too easy. Allowing a trait change seems to feel too easy. Also as far as suspension of disbelief it feels that changing a trait would break that to some degree.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Maztiax
    Maztiax
    ✭✭✭
    So you're forced to run the same easy-as-crap PvE content over and over again, in order to artificially prolong the life of the game.

Same reasoning goes behind raising the level cap.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maztiax wrote: »
    So you're forced to run the same easy-as-crap PvE content over and over again, in order to artificially prolong the life of the game.

Same reasoning goes behind raising the level cap.

I've never been "forced" to do anything in this game that I didn't want to do. That's just silly.

That being said, I would LOVE to see this change if it was implemented smartly. A million things could go wrong if it isn't done properly.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BECAUSE,

It'd make the game too fun. You'd get great loot and be able to run content for the fun of it instead of the grind.

Wouldn't want that :/
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bryanhaas wrote: »
    Just a thought, traits are part of the gear think of embedded in the gear but enchants are after the fact. Kinda think it should stay like it is but if they change it that would be fine too. I just feel that things should not be too easy. Allowing a trait change seems to feel too easy. Also as far as suspension of disbelief it feels that changing a trait would break that to some degree.

This is why I wouldn't really want this.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    BECAUSE,

It'd make the game too fun. You'd get great loot and be able to run content for the fun of it instead of the grind.

Unfortunately most people run content for loot.
    I agree that the ability to change traits would be a great addition to crafting, but it must come at a substantial cost. After all you are giving the ability to obtain the gear people desire a lot more easily.
    I can see this being of particular interest to PvP players who as a group tend to want to minimise their exposure to the PvE 'grind' and get back to what they like most
    A barrier such as substantial outlay of gold improvement materials would ensure the cost is high enough to deter casual trait alteration and give other options than battling the RNG for wanted gear.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synfaer wrote: »
    BECAUSE,

Unfortunately most people run content for loot.
    I agree that the ability to change traits would be a great addition to crafting, but it must come at a substantial cost. After all you are giving the ability to obtain the gear people desire a lot more easily.
    I can see this being of particular interest to PvP players who as a group tend to want to minimise their exposure to the PvE 'grind' and get back to what they like most
    A barrier such as substantial outlay of gold improvement materials would ensure the cost is high enough to deter casual trait alteration and give other options than battling the RNG for wanted gear.

I agree that there should be a way to change traits, but at a substantial cost. Same goes to the style of an item.

Change trait
    • 10 New Trait Materials
    • 10 appropriate Blue Upgrade Materials
    • 10 appropriate Green Upgrade Materials
    • 5 appropriate Purple Upgrade Materials

Change Style
    • 3 New Style Materials

Notice how weapons change colors based on material (level) and upgrade quality (green, blue, etc)? Well that is how Weapon Dyeing should work:

Change Color
    • 50 of the appropriate level material
    • 1 of the appropriate upgrade material

It'd create an actual market for non-Legendary Upgrade Mats and would be awesome.

Just my thoughts :)
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While changing traits would be an awesome addition to the game it also is detrimental to it. Combine that with being able to trade items within the group, people could get the monster helm they wanted with minimal runs. They could buy what ever armor type helm they wanted from the Monster vendor in Cyrodil and change the trait easily. It just doesn't go with the design of an MMO that wants people to have to grind endlessly for the things they really want.

I just don't see this happening unfortunately.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change trait
    • 10 New Trait Materials

Change Style
    • 3 New Style Materials

That's insane considering it only costs 2 green, 3 blue, and 4 purple upgrade materials to upgrade a brand new item starting from white... So you'd then have us pay, what, 10-15 instead of 8 gold upgrade materials? So under your proposal it costs more to change trait/style than to make a new one.

I think if we were to be able to do it, they might overcharge perhaps on trait/style gems, but leave the weapon the quality it is before being altered, just like changing the enchant on jewelry and don't charge any upgrade materials. Perhaps charge 3 trait/style gems and one third to half the normal creation material cost -- that would be plenty of a penalty to prevent overuse while still enabling such a feature.

Well that is how Weapon Dyeing should work:
    Change Color

Dying is free for armor and shield, should be free and included for weapons, in my opinion.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Change trait
    • 10 New Trait Materials

Change Style
    • 3 New Style Materials

That's insane considering it only costs 2 green, 3 blue, and 4 purple upgrade materials to upgrade a brand new item starting from white... So you'd then have us pay, what, 10-15 instead of 8 gold upgrade materials? So under your proposal it costs more to change trait/style than to make a new one.

I think if we were to be able to do it, they might overcharge perhaps on trait/style gems, but leave the weapon the quality it is before being altered, just like changing the enchant on jewelry and don't charge any upgrade materials. Perhaps charge 3 trait/style gems and one third to half the normal creation material cost -- that would be plenty of a penalty to prevent overuse while still enabling such a feature.

Well that is how Weapon Dyeing should work:
    Change Color

Dying is free for armor and shield, should be free and included for weapons, in my opinion.

I have multiple stacks of all green/blue/purple upgrade mats, traits and craft mats. Only Gold tempers and CP160 Mats are expensive and have a real market right now.

If you change the trait/style of your gear it must come at a substantial price. I said this in my orginal post but you didn't quote it -_-

This creates an actual market for non-Gold Upgrade Materials. Gold Upgrade materials are not required to do anything other than upgrade an item's quality to Legendary. I never said it'd take 10-15..... that's just your imagination (reread my post).

It's nice to see you like the idea. However, you deserve to lose out on mats if you want to replace traits/styles on gear you crafted. Point in case, this feature is to help you improve dropped loot, not give you second chances because you messed up an item you already CRAFTED.

Edited by Vaoh on August 19, 2016 10:13PM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vaoh
    Maybe you should lose out as in "not free" but when losing out becomes more of a material cost than just creating a new item with the other trait/style that's just insane.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    While changing traits would be an awesome addition to the game it also is detrimental to it. Combine that with being able to trade items within the group, people could get the monster helm they wanted with minimal runs. They could buy what ever armor type helm they wanted from the Monster vendor in Cyrodil and change the trait easily. It just doesn't go with the design of an MMO that wants people to have to grind endlessly for the things they really want.

I just don't see this happening unfortunately.

Grinding is expected in an MMO but if there are more options as to how we grind then its a lot more appealing. Making traits or styles changeable but at a cost of other valuable items (eg high level improvement materials) allows for a few more pathways to get that elusive item. Grind for materials or gold to buy material or dungeon runs to get the BoP items you need rather than just battling the RNG running the same dungeon over & over.