Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 11 Guide: Text Chat on Consoles"

• mApplinator
    mApplinator
    ✭✭✭
    Will we see this applied to the gamepad UI mode on the PC client? Loot history and text chat currently overlap and it's #literallyunplayable in it's current state!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Applinator wrote: »
    Will we see this applied to the gamepad UI mode on the PC client? Loot history and text chat currently overlap and it's #literallyunplayable in it's current state!

I agree. I've made threads on this before. It doesn't make sense to move your chat window (which isn't as easy as one would think) when you switch between gamepad and PC ui. Could we have PC gamepad UI loot moved to the right hand side.. or... something?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dear Gina, is the text system going to have its own /ignore or /block feature? Currently the only way to mute/block another player from area chat is to block them using Playstation/Xbox's block feature.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    Dear Gina, is the text system going to have its own /ignore or /block feature? Currently the only way to mute/block another player from area chat is to block them using Playstation/Xbox's block feature.

Good question...
    I'm expecting it to mimic voice chat.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Scaryseizure
    Scaryseizure
    Soul Shriven
    Why is it off by default? Why not have it on by default with profanity filters on? Most people probably won't even turn it on.

This so much! Though I guess people will eventually hear about it since you can talk about it in voice chat at the same time.
  • PrinsJan1
    PrinsJan1
    Soul Shriven
    Silly question perhaps: d'you happen to have a guide somewhere on how you should connect a keyboard (can you even connect ANY keyboard) to your console? Or is it as easy as 1-2-3 - plug it in and you're ready to go.

Im really happy about this addition for console. Can't wait to try it out!
    Some of the emotes were lacking a bit of feedback.
    For instance: 'Follow' is just the physical emote, whereas you really need it to belike the 'Hello' emote: physical emote + text, in case the person isn't looking. Hopefully with the addition of keyboard support this will solve some of those problems.

Like I said: can't wait to play it (meaning I havent yet): I hope there's an icon above a person's head when he/she just said something. Like the circle you would see when someone has voicechat enabled. If you'd have the panel disabled you wouldn't even know someone is trying to communicate to you.

Thanks
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    sluice wrote: »
    I'm glad keyboards are supported. I have mine ready and waiting! :)

@ZOS_GinaBruno, is there a list somewhere of all the keywords?
    So far, from the article above, I have:

/say
    /yell
    /emotes
    /zone
    /whisper

On PC version you have a long list of keyword when you go to the Upper Menu bar(with Inventory, Store, ...) and press the question mark.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    I see ESO, finally gave into the whiners and complainers about text chat:( So disappointing.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    All you have to do is whine and complain, in any game to get your way:( Ind of like a spoiled child:( "sigh" at least you turn the stupid thing off. And I am sure that the trolls, and keyboard warriors are ecstatic about this. I however am not, this will lead to one thing and one thing only. A toxic game. Hope your proud of yourself ESO.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it off by default? Why not have it on by default with profanity filters on? Most people probably won't even turn it on.

Because myself included, find text chat annoying! So I am glad it's off by default.
  • MIZRETH
    MIZRETH
    ✭✭
    NO VOICE = NO TEXT??
    I run a 480+ member Free Trading Guild. Since we do not require a weekly guild fee I have revoked all guild privileges except free trading in the guild store & trader. I reward regular & top donors with additional privileges such as voice chat, crafting, & eventually bank access.

I found out that if Guild Voice Chat privilege is revoked Guild Text Chat privileges are ALSO revoked?! Is there a way to change this? This should be a separate feature that can be granted and NOT tied into Voice Chat.
    Edited by MIZRETH on September 1, 2016 5:15AM
    MIZRETH
    The Dollar Tree Guild
    XBOX SERIES X

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i keep text chat off by default; because the small window is no good for me & my dislexic (probablly need new glasses) brain to process,
    but there are occasions when i need to send a message so i open the actual interface so it fills the whole screen

one thing that i think would improve use would be if the names of your guild appeared in the drop down list rather than guild 1 - 5
    the guild name appears in the text screen itself, but not when you are selecting a guild to send a message too
    this may be an issue exclusive to dislexics, the sleep deprived & the inehbriated but... it may also help others!
  • Joshfight00
    So I am experiencing problems.

I want to use my keyboard to change MoTD with [ENTER] and such.. but I have to use CTRL+ALT+G to apparently to turn the Virtual keyboard off, otherwise I am limited to a line, rather than a paragraph.

However when I do that it disables my keyboard, and I have to unplug and replug, and sometimes the Virtual keyboard comes back on.

Can someone help me before I get upset.

Cheers, josh
    XB1 NA - GT: Another Cadaver

Join us on BAND
    Guild Master [Skyrim Rebels]
  • Argurios
    Argurios
    ✭✭
    Jailbirdy wrote: »
    Is this replacing voice chat since voice chat is horribly broken on the Xbox?

Eh?

I used voice chat on xbox the other day, it works perfectly fine, and is one of the better in game ones i have seen. It was no different quality than xbox party chat.

All you have to do is ensure you join the right voice channel.

However, text chat is definitely a good addition.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the test first, the lesson after... "

Argurios Ultor - Imperial Templar
    Caradoc Coldblade - Redguard Nightblade
    - Daggerfall Covenant