Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eastmarch quest "Strange Allies" bugged.

tat2mano
tat2mano
✭✭✭✭
You get this quest from Aspira Giant-Friend,i got this a while back,
you need to walk up to trees and do something to make a giant hit the tree or something,
but my giant didnt do anything,i tried for an half hour or so and then gave up and deleted the quest.

Then later i found out that it is part of AD Cadwell's Silver,
so i tried picking the quest back up but the npc that gave the quest isnt there anymore so i cant pick it up,
i got a ticket for this but as most of you know it can take a while before you get a decent response on them.

Can anybody tell me when if i dont have this quest completed in Cadwell's SIlver if i still get to do Cadwell's Gold ?
Because i think i can finish the last part "The Rift" in a few hours,
really would hate if i get stuck in Cadwell's because of a bugged quest...
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to complete Cadwell's Silver before you are given Cadwell's Gold, but you can start to do the component parts of Gold whenever you like; just take a wayshrine to the Covenant zones. When you get around to completing Silver, the parts of Gold you have already done will get ticked off straight away.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • tat2mano
    tat2mano
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    You need to complete Cadwell's Silver before you are given Cadwell's Gold, but you can start to do the component parts of Gold whenever you like; just take a wayshrine to the Covenant zones. When you get around to completing Silver, the parts of Gold you have already done will get ticked off straight away.

I was actually thinking of this since i can accept quests in the Covenant zones,
    so thanks for letting me know that i can at least do that in the meantime,
    but i preferred to be doing it in the order it supposed to be done.

• CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tat2mano wrote: »
    You get this quest from Aspira Giant-Friend,i got this a while back,
    you need to walk up to trees and do something to make a giant hit the tree or something,
    but my giant didnt do anything,i tried for an half hour or so and then gave up and deleted the quest.

Then later i found out that it is part of AD Cadwell's Silver,
    so i tried picking the quest back up but the npc that gave the quest isnt there anymore so i cant pick it up,
    i got a ticket for this but as most of you know it can take a while before you get a decent response on them.

Can anybody tell me when if i dont have this quest completed in Cadwell's SIlver if i still get to do Cadwell's Gold ?
    Because i think i can finish the last part "The Rift" in a few hours,
    really would hate if i get stuck in Cadwell's because of a bugged quest...

Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same thing happened to me. I just went back to town, did the usual business, relogged and it was fixed. For me, the arrow showed up way at the top of the tree and was hard to see in the daytime.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Blutengel
    Blutengel
    ✭✭✭
    I click the tree's my character points and nothing happens. The giants really are stupid in this case.
    Time for reckless audacity and derring-do!~
    Crow-Friend Warden
    Najara the Crusader Templar
    Thomasin the Witch Necro
    R.I.P Vet ranks...
  • hottrop1cs
    Hey guys,
    I was just having this problem and I think I have a possible solution. If the giant won't do anything, run across to a different tree and tell him to cut it before he catches up to you. Worked for me. Hope this helps.
    XBOX (NA): hottrop1cs
    Lucianus Aelius - Imperial Bowplar (Werewolf) [DC]
    Maevina Seloth - Dunmer Stormsorc (Crafter) [EP]
    S'dar The Merciless - Khajiit Stamblade (Assassin) [AD]
  • kaffeend
    kaffeend
    ✭✭
    I finally managed to get the giant to respond correctly, but it was a test of my patience. I'll explain the bug as best I can below.

1. Use the horn. This part works as intended. Blow the horn when standing in the right area, in front of the cave (?), between the two rocks. Giant comes out and follows the player. Works as intended.
    2. Use the giant to smash the trees and dislodge scouts. This may or may not work on the first tree, as it worked for me. The player approaches a marked tree and, when in range (5 meters?) activate by pressing E on the keyboard. The giant should switch to an attack animation and smash the tree/ground, dislodging the scout who can be killed and looted for documents 1/4.
    3. Successive trees will almost always bug out. Usually I could get the first tree easily, but the second tree would sometimes not initiate the giant's switch to its attack animation. At the third tree the giant will almost always not activate its attack animation, sometimes disappearing and then respawning somewhere else. At one point the giant despawned and I had a message Quest Failed. The Giant Has Returned To His Cave.

Fix (for me)
    Try activating the tree from slightly different approach vectors, always allowing the giant room to perform its attack animation. Try several trees. Spam the E key while circling each tree. Wait for a few seconds for the giant's animations to kick in, and repeat. That's how I managed to get it to work, after trying everything else to no avail. Hope it works for others, but I'd rather see this fixed. It's been over a year now since this was reported.
  • iwakurakaitou
    iwakurakaitou
    ✭✭
    Yea - just chiming in from late in 2019 where this bug has still not been fixed. Unfortunate.
    I was able to get this quest completed eventually after about 40m of trying by playing around with the range.
    I would walk VERY slowly towards a marked tree until I was at the absolute furthest range for the action button to show up, then I would hit it. If it didn't work I would wait a few seconds, move SLIGHTLY closer, then hit it again. I would have to repeat this over and over again until I was able to get the giant to hit the tree, then start the process over again at another tree.

I had two issues with the giant;
    1) He would not activate any action at all and would remain by my side after I hit the button and pointed at the tree.
    2) He would walk over to the tree I pointed at, but not activate the attack/smash animation and knock anyone out of it.

When the giant remained by my side I had to just wait a moment and press the button again from slightly closer.
    When the giant walked to the tree, but did not activate his smash, I had to give the giant enough time to walk back over to my side - THEN move slightly closer to the tree and press the button again... lather, rinse, repeat.

obnoxious, should have been fixed years ago considering first reports of this are from 2016, but it is at very least doable if you are willing to spend far longer on it than it's worth. :P
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    January 2020. Still bugged. None of the workarounds above helps. Afraid of dropping the quest as quest giver seems to disappear and the quest can't be retaken (that happened to another toon, an EP one).
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    March 2020. Still bugged to hell. Seriously, this is the main alliance quest and it hasn't been fixed in 4 years?!
  • Provin915
    Provin915
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, still bugged as of August 2020..
  • Strut6569
    Strut6569
    ✭✭
    At the risk of necroing a post, I think I see how this quest works. There are more trees marked than actually contain snipers. If I tried a tree and got no result, I tried another tree, and another, until the giant knocked down a sniper. Repeat as necessary.

Hope it works for you!