Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Black Screen On 3D Rendering - UserSettings.txt

Bucko5
Bucko5
Soul Shriven
So this just started happening to me tonight. I was playing the game hours ago and it was totally fine. Basically, any 3D rendered area of the game is just a black screen. All 2D things (UI, login, load) are displaying just fine. Anything that would be rendered in 3D is black. After extensive searching I found that some people fixed this by editing their UserSettings.txt file. None of this fixes worked for me. So I just deleted the file all together and it worked. However, when I try to start the game again after closing it once the problem persists. So I have to delete UserSettings.txt every single time I want to play or get disconnected. Then I have to accept all the terms and set everything up again.

I had no windows updates, no game updates, no driver updates, and no settings changed before this started happening.
  • Bucko5
    Bucko5
    Soul Shriven
    Well, after some tinkering I fixed it. So if anyone is having the same problem and editing UserSettings.txt isn't working, try this before you repair/reinstall everything.

Go to your users/documents/eso folder and delete AddOnSettings.txt, ShaderCache.cooked, and UserSettings.txt. That's what I did. But as the problem seemed to only affect 3D rendering, I'm guessing that ShaderCache.cooked was the main culprit. I've tried restarting several times and I even manually modified my UserSettings.txt since deleting these files and all is working well.
  • Patouf
    Patouf
    ✭✭✭

Thanks a lot I had the same problem =D !

Hail Bucko, <3
    Ruined Laggy Broken Game
    Sithis & Psijic Order
    Sithis and spacetime. From nothing to everything.
    Dark, Aurbis, Aetherius-Oblivion, Mundus, Nirn, Tamriel. Dark again, something else.
    Dark is categorical, the absolute zero.
    VØID