Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Fishy Sticks and their elusive Recipes -- unless you are in the Daggerfall Covenant it would seem...

Duffdin
Duffdin
So, playing through the Daggerfall Covenant start a few times, I discovered a vendor in the Screaming Mermaid Inn -- located in lovely Port Hunding -- who sells the fishy sticks recipe for the standard 270 gold. Internet searches report there is also a vendor in Crosswych, Glenumbra. However, I now have a new character wandering the Aldmeri Dominion and have yet to discover a fishy stick vendor anywhere. Well, anywhere except the guild stores where the prices are unacceptable since I know 270 gold is as much as anyone needs to pay...if they can get to Stros M'kai or Crosswych.

Does anyone know the NPC vendors who sell the recipe in Dominion lands? How about the Ebonhart Pact just for completeness?

Why in Oblivion is this one, rudimentary recipe so hard to track down despite all the available fish...
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cook and brewer vendors sell the recipes needed for provisioning writs. Since fishy sticks are used for writs for DC characters at tier 1 provisioning, presumably only DC characters will be offered that recipe by NPC vendors.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • CromulentForumID
    CromulentForumID
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't recipes sold by every NPC vendor labeled "Chef?"

There is a Chef NPC on the beach of Vulkhel Guard, need the merchant tent and cooking fire.
  • Duffdin
    Duffdin
    Chefs sell a recipe for chicken, but no Chicken of the Sea®...

Hmm... So, the Daggerfall Covenant soldiers eat fish, but apparently Aldemeri Dominion soldiers do not. Good to know. Also, this arrangement looks like an easy way to farm a bit of gold in the Daggerfall Covenant if you can join a trading guild with a guild vendor in other lands able to sell the recipes.
  • Duffdin
    Duffdin
    Well, "solved" my own problem...the usual way. I bought a recipe from a guild vendor in Mistral. Only 500 gold. A 230 gold premium, but for far less than I have seen elsewhere.

But seriously, everyone can learn to fish, but few can prepare the fish to feed themselves for a day? What a way to turn an adage on it's head...
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I purchased the Fishy Sticks recipe from a chef in Vulkhel Guard in AD, have you tried there? Hopefully I'm not getting it mixed up...
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Duffdin
    Duffdin
    I'll check around again, but no luck in the past.
  • logosloki
    logosloki
    ✭✭✭
    Duffdin wrote: »
    Chefs sell a recipe for chicken, but no Chicken of the Sea®...

Hmm... So, the Daggerfall Covenant soldiers eat fish, but apparently Aldemeri Dominion soldiers do not. Good to know. Also, this arrangement looks like an easy way to farm a bit of gold in the Daggerfall Covenant if you can join a trading guild with a guild vendor in other lands able to sell the recipes.

Aldemeri Dominion Soldiers don't need a recipe when their rations are the flesh and blood of their enemy.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty certain I have bought it once from Vulkhel Guard as well, but I tend to find most of my recipes in backpacks. Perfect if, like me, you like wandering around for ages looking for these things and just generally taking your time, not so productive if you play at a more reasonable or sensible pace!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find all of the writ recipes and recipe vendors in turn-in towns here
    http://benevolentbowd.ca/esotu/eso-provisioning-writs/

However, note that the items sold at the vendors depend on your current recipe improvement level. They will sell the current writ level and the one previous. However, once the passive is maxed, only the previous level will be offered. You will have to find or buy the highest writ recipes on the traders or in the world.
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Brewers / Chef's sell the level of Writ recipe that you need (Since DB) if you are in an Alliance that doesn't need to make Fish Sticks you wont be offered that recipe. I.e. In the EP rotation its Chicken Breast from memory. Each alliance Writ requirements are different in other words.

Surely your cheapest solution would have been to buy more from a chef, bank, and pass to your Alt no?

I sell all recipes for 99 gold now as so common.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Just count yourself lucky you weren't trying to get it before the chefs/brewers sold the writ recipes, fishy sticks (and a few of the other level 1 recipes) were really rare and would go for upwards of 10k on the guild traders
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673