The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ban the Usage of Special Extended Subset Character Sets in Character Names

hamgatan
hamgatan
✭✭✭✭✭
ZOS,

I think the time has come for you to consider this seriously.

You tell us we need to report players for exploiting using the in game feature. But how can we do this if character names are extended subscript characters which cannot be normally typed on a keyboard without alt-tabbing out to character map or having knowledge of the cross referenced ASCII codes?

Example here - Dragon Leap mechanic exploiter in Chal, but can't report in game due to the ridiculous amount of subset characters in the name.

[Snip]

People are deliberately using these char subsets so they CAN exploit and not get reported. It makes a mockery of the whole system. Surely you can lock down a portion of the ASCII/UTF-8 sets through 'allowed codes' in the character creation screen?

[Edit to remove naming and shaming]
Edited by [Deleted User] on July 30, 2016 1:30AM
PC / NA - 1500 CP
L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

We appreciate your vigilance on the matter, though we have to ask that you refrain from publicly posting the names of the offenders on the Forums, as it is against the Forum Rules. Though we'd like to suggest that you submit the screenshot and your suggestion as well to Customer Support for proper investigation. Though please feel free to discuss your suggestion on restricting special character in names here. :)

Thank you for understanding!
    Edited by [Deleted User] on July 30, 2016 1:43AM
    Staff Post
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only benefit is that, now, we can see @names. Report the @name, and take a screenshot of the person if you can. Though I think that ZOS needs to update the "Report a Player" text to reflect "Report Character or Account Name" instead of just character name.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One person with difficult characters to type exploited, ruin it for all! Yaaaay.

[Snip]

[Edit to remove flaming.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on July 30, 2016 3:11PM
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Brutusmax1mus Ile like to see you copy special characters down to report someone! Of course no name and shame.
    Edited by Whatzituyah on July 30, 2016 1:57AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AntonioP, with respect, could you at least get someone to look at this issue?
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People don't use this naming method exclusively to get away with exploiting. There are also tons of players who want a specific name and get it through using special characters. Quit the tunnel vision and think of the big picture.

rip decibel
  • malchior
    malchior
    ✭✭✭✭
    And that would be ZOS' doing and not using a charactername@handle format like STO. Forcing people to use ascii code to get the 'same name'. Since this game is heavily dependant on @handle, they should have implemented character naming using that as the discriminant.
    Draxys wrote: »
    People don't use this naming method exclusively to get away with exploiting. There are also tons of players who want a specific name and get it through using special characters. Quit the tunnel vision and think of the big picture.

• Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If character names were bound to @handle (for example "Bob@crazygamer2992" could exist along side "Bob@ilovecornchips2016") instead of required to be unique, some people might not need special characters, except perhaps roleplayers.

That's not the case. So some of us have to use special characters to get the character name we desire because some guy took the name a year ago and stopped playing the game, forever locking the name up. (And no, releasing the name isn't the answer, since they could come back specifically to play that character.)

Since names aren't bound to @handles, I'd rather the name system stay as it is with allowable characters.
          In verity.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malchior wrote: »
    And that would be ZOS' doing and not using a charactername@handle format like STO. Forcing people to use ascii code to get the 'same name'. Since this game is heavily dependant on @handle, they should have implemented character naming using that as the discriminant.

It always baffles me when I find a new MMO that hasn't taken that lesson from Cryptic. For all the stuff they've legitimately screwed up, their character name structure was smart. Even if it does mean I've been in more than one pug with another U.S.S. Lexington or U.S.S. Durandal.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People don't use this naming method exclusively to get away with exploiting. There are also tons of players who want a specific name and get it through using special characters.

You're completely right. It's not only exploiters..

It's also how they get inappropriate names past the censor and avoid being reported. Just today I saw one name containing 'póóf' in extended Chars. I've seen far worse in the past two days including a C-bomb using ų as the next letter.

North American server is an English based server. There are no extended character sets used in the English language. So there shouldn't be any need to have them. The Japanese can't even create their character names in Japanese but they have no trouble creating romanized versions of it.. so why should people who speak english as their first language require characters that don't exist in their language?

You think people get to choose extended character sets when they're choosing a licence plate for a vehicle or choosing a domain name? God no if that sh**s taken then tough titties choose another.. and besides how *** would ęlđəřšçŕöllśønlīñë.com look in a browser?

PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    hamgatan wrote: »
    People don't use this naming method exclusively to get away with exploiting. There are also tons of players who want a specific name and get it through using special characters.

It's also how they get inappropriate names past the censor and avoid being reported. Just today I saw one name containing 'póóf' in extended Chars. I've seen far worse in the past two days including a C-bomb using ų as the next letter.

North American server is an English based server. There are no extended character sets used in the English language. So there shouldn't be any need to have them. The Japanese can't even create their character names in Japanese but they have no trouble creating romanized versions of it.. so why should people who speak english as their first language require characters that don't exist in their language?

You think people get to choose extended character sets when they're choosing a licence plate for a vehicle or choosing a domain name? God no if that sh**s taken then tough titties choose another.. and besides how *** would ęlđəřšçŕöllśønlīñë.com look in a browser?

So people who live in Spanish speaking countries aren't allowed to type in Spanish on the server that they live closest to?

Big picture.

rip decibel
  • Asata
    Asata
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest it's really annoying inviting people to a guild that have tons of special characters in their name because you can't type it in the box and I at least have no idea how to get their UserID just from a PM message.
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asata wrote: »
    To be honest it's really annoying inviting people to a guild that have tons of special characters in their name because you can't type it in the box and I at least have no idea how to get their UserID just from a PM message.

Right clic? ask it ?
    Edited by Ayantir on August 1, 2016 12:12PM
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • JaJaLuka
    JaJaLuka
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can of course take a screenshot of anyone you suspect of cheating and send it in as part of a report with an additional simple statement that you cannot type his/her name. Food for thought.
    Krojick, DC Sorc PC NA
    Milámber, EP Sorc PC NA
    Brunack, EP DK PC NA
    General Mark Shephard, EP Temp PC NA (Worst temp NA XD )
    Krojick Nightblade, DC NB PC NA
    Others...
  • Asata
    Asata
    ✭✭✭
    Ayantir wrote: »
    Asata wrote: »

Right clic? ask it ?

I do ask them. That's the only real option other than googling special characters until it auto fills the rest. It's just an annoyance to have to do that.
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of exploiting are you talking about? If they're in chat, just right click on their name. If they're in front of you, just interact with them and choose report. You never have to type in the name of someone you're reporting unless they flew by you in a split second, just long enough to get a glimpse of the name before they disappeared into the sunset.
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

• hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So people who live in Spanish speaking countries aren't allowed to type in Spanish on the server that they live closest to?

Big picture.

I agree. Spanish and Portuguese has heaps of extended character sets in their languages.. but they aren't the only languages our population has. Should I kick and scream because I can't write Chinese to the players I talk to? (I romanize everything to hanyu pinyin). What about the Koreans? They don't get the functionality to type in their language either.. because we all agree there should be a universal standard.

Incidentally you're not hearing what I'm saying. I'm not talking about zone chat - I'm talking about the character creation screen. I see no drama for extended sets in chat windows but not at the character creation screen.. Its already a restriction on the Japanese players that they have to use a romanized character name.. but they're free to type their own language in chat.

Whether they want to type In their language in zone is irrelevant. Thats their call - but a universal standard needs to be adopted regarding naming contexts.

Thats the big picture.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of exploiting are you talking about? If they're in chat, just right click on their name. If they're in front of you, just interact with them and choose report. You never have to type in the name of someone you're reporting unless they flew by you in a split second, just long enough to get a glimpse of the name before they disappeared into the sunset.

Not for enemy alliances in PvP..
    PC / NA - 1500 CP

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

L'Amerique du Nord contienne aussi le Mexique et le Canada. Au Mexique on parle Espagnol et au Canada, environ 30% de la population parle français.

Also, have you tried setting your keyboard to US-International. That makes it really easy to type in extra characters.
    The Moot Councillor
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why the addon Fast Report was really useful back in the day of the bot infestation... and it was really useful in Cyrodiil too.

Maybe this could be of help in this cases? -> http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1370-FastReportContinued.html

(This only works for PC, though)

As an idea, maybe the addons that have combat Logs and kill logs, like Codex, and such, should have an option to report player from among those that you recent had combat with (and maybe they have, and I haven't checked them recently!)
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Player's @ names are displayed. There is no reason for this and there is no reason to punish the vast majority of players who use these and do not cheat. Besides you act like reporting does anything in this game beyond a slap on the wrist if anything at all.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • DeadDealer
    DeadDealer
    ✭✭✭
    ^right

/closed pls
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there,

We appreciate your vigilance on the matter, though we have to ask that you refrain from publicly posting the names of the offenders on the Forums, as it is against the Forum Rules. Though we'd like to suggest that you submit the screenshot and your suggestion as well to Customer Support for proper investigation. Though please feel free to discuss your suggestion on restricting special character in names here. :)

Thank you for understanding!

Or...here's a thought... you guys could finally FIX the problem with special characters so this is no longer an issue. I think well over 2 years is long enough for us to have waited for that, don't you?
    Edited by MornaBaine on August 1, 2016 1:37PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least you can't use kanji in names.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.