The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Spell Cost Reduction - Getting the most bang for my magicka buck.

JustSnilloc
JustSnilloc
✭✭✭
From what I understand, the following are the the only/best (let me know if I'm missing any) ways of reducing spell cost...

21% - Light Armor Passive
03% - Breton Passive
04% - Templar Passive
08% - Seducer Armor Set bonus
16% - Champion Points
(15% - Mage Adept, mages guild skills only)

Would pursuing 52%(67%) cost reduction be worthwhile? The Seducer Armor set bonus is nice, but are there other armor sets that make it not as appealing? The light armor passive is nice, but would the undaunted passive of increased resources be worth more? Are there champion points that should be spent elsewhere?

I'm looking to make a Breton Templar Healer, but I'm also asking in general. Thanks in advance!
[J.S.] The Lost King --->
http://justsnilloc.proboards.com/
http://justsnilloc.deviantart.com/
~ 0==={{:::::::::::::::x:::::::::::::::}}===0 ~
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot cost reduction glyphs on rings, but those are flat values and apply before percent reduction (I think) so their value is diminished a bit.

I would go 5/1/1 for the undaunted passives and not bother with seducer. You should put 100 points in cosy reduction for cp though. I don't have the math to back this statement up, but that much cost reduction is generally overkill. As inn you simply don't need that much to succeed.

Oh, and the Eyes of Mara set reduces restoration staff costs by 12% by the way.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found a good balance for my healer.

I run high-sustain armor (5 piece Seducer + 3/4 Magnus, 7 light) alongside Willpower Jewelry with Spell Damage Enchants.

Between everything, I am a bit low on the spell damage (I believe ~1900 on staves, and 2300 on Dual Wield), but make up for that in high regen (~1500).

It's worked out really well for me, and I've actually taken more of a spell damage route now. I used to get 1400 Spell Power and about 1.9k regen. But as you decrease your regen and cost reduction, you have a time where you aren't used to it, but eventually you just adjust.

Even on my sorc, when I started to use Molag Kena set, I was always low on magicka, now I keep it up perfectly fine.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand, the following are the the only/best (let me know if I'm missing any) ways of reducing spell cost...

21% - Light Armor Passive
    03% - Breton Passive
    04% - Templar Passive
    08% - Seducer Armor Set bonus
    16% - Champion Points
    (15% - Mage Adept, mages guild skills only)

Would pursuing 52%(67%) cost reduction be worthwhile? The Seducer Armor set bonus is nice, but are there other armor sets that make it not as appealing? The light armor passive is nice, but would the undaunted passive of increased resources be worth more? Are there champion points that should be spent elsewhere?

I'm looking to make a Breton Templar Healer, but I'm also asking in general. Thanks in advance!

It's not worth stacking all cost reduction. Because they are percentage reductions they get less effective the more you have. You want a nice balance between cost reduction and regen, Seducer offers both. For pvp I have 1 cost reduction glyph, 5 seducer and 62cp in cost reduction tree. With atronach mundus, vampire and 72cp in regen tree I have 1700 magicka regen. This setup combined with weaving means I never run out of magicka fighting continuously.

Having said that I think there are better sets for a templar healer than seducer. Just don't use 3 cost reduction glyphs with a load of percentage reduction on top, it's a bit of a waste.
    PC | EU
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    Would pursuing 52%(67%) cost reduction be worthwhile?
    No.
    I'm also quite certain that cost reduction isn't just simply additive.
    Edited by Acsvf on July 30, 2016 3:16AM
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't ZoS nerf all percentage cost reduction by ~12%-13% of the stated percentages many patches ago but never changed tooltips to reflect it?
    Edited by Vaoh on July 31, 2016 10:10PM