The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magick DK

ducket1
ducket1
✭✭
So for my magic DK build would magus or TBS benefit me the most?

Not looking for a world crushing build just something viable so I can play with my magic DK a few times instead of doing nothing.

Would look to play Pve more with him but PvP if the build was half decent (I know the builds would change slightly)
High Elf Dragonknight (Magicka) Stormproof
High Elf Templar (Magicka) Stormproof
Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina)
Breton Sorcerer Lvl (Magicka) Stormproof
Breton Nightblade (Magicka) Stormproof
RedGaurd DragonKnight (Stamina) Stormproof
  • ol050770b16_ESO
    I'm wearing five parts of Kagrenacs Hope, rings and necklace of Willpower, two parts Skoria
    ... nichts ist wie es scheint ...
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka DK's are the single worst/hardest class to do PvP with.

In PvE, magicka DKs make interesting DPS with damage over time skills, which makes the skoria monster set combination very interesting. Typically, the rule of thumb (from my experience) is go with 5 julianos for burst damage and 5 kagrenacs for sustain. For the alt set(s), you'll want to optimize spell damage, with this as the sort of standard:

1. kena gives spell dmg with 1 piece.
    2. torugs pact gives spell dmg with 2 pieces.
    3. vicious death and arch mage give spell dmg with 3 pieces.
    4. magnus gift gives spell dmg with 4 pieces.

You'll likely only be able to do the 5 piece + 4 piece combination if you run DW as the front bar, which for magicka DK limits you to lava whip as your primary DPS. With destro, the primary DPS is crushing shock + wall of elements (good dot) + weaving.

I wore 5 kags (sometimes julianos) + 2 torugs + 1 kena (3 arch mage/ vicious death would be slightly better) w/willpower jewelry.
  • ducket1
    ducket1
    ✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    Magicka DK's are the single worst/hardest class to do PvP with.

In PvE, magicka DKs make interesting DPS with damage over time skills, which makes the skoria monster set combination very interesting. Typically, the rule of thumb (from my experience) is go with 5 julianos for burst damage and 5 kagrenacs for sustain. For the alt set(s), you'll want to optimize spell damage, with this as the sort of standard:

1. kena gives spell dmg with 1 piece.
    2. torugs pact gives spell dmg with 2 pieces.
    3. vicious death and arch mage give spell dmg with 3 pieces.
    4. magnus gift gives spell dmg with 4 pieces.

You'll likely only be able to do the 5 piece + 4 piece combination if you run DW as the front bar, which for magicka DK limits you to lava whip as your primary DPS. With destro, the primary DPS is crushing shock + wall of elements (good dot) + weaving.

I wore 5 kags (sometimes julianos) + 2 torugs + 1 kena (3 arch mage/ vicious death would be slightly better) w/willpower jewelry.

If I ran kags would I be able to still put out decent spell damage ?
    High Elf Dragonknight (Magicka) Stormproof
    High Elf Templar (Magicka) Stormproof
    Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina)
    Breton Sorcerer Lvl (Magicka) Stormproof
    Breton Nightblade (Magicka) Stormproof
    RedGaurd DragonKnight (Stamina) Stormproof
  • haunted1994F
    haunted1994F
    ✭✭✭
    Best and most OP magika DK for PVE

Sanctum ophidian set the light gear x5, ringx2 neck, and any 2x upper
    elegant set x5
    weapon: any, maelstrom best

with molten armaments ur heavy attacks can do a lot of dmg.
    Edited by haunted1994F on July 30, 2016 10:18AM
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found that what has really drastically affected my spell damage numbers on my magicka characters is not whether I use kags versus julianos (which seem to truly be about personal preference and style), but whether I use DW or Destro.

Golded out swords in DW with the spell dmg passive and a spell damage stacking combination of sets can mean 1000 points difference in spell damage compared to destro.

It's really unfair that it is so be design. First, staves should count as 2-pieces of a set. Second, dw shouldn't be better for magicka types than destro. Unfortunately, current balance changes have made magicka types destro dependent (thus crippling them a bit). But I digress...

If you decide to go with Kags, I recommend trying out a combination of weapons to see what fits you. There's Destro/Resto; DW/Destro; DW/S&B (PvPish).

What you're getting in Kags that you don't get in Julianos is Magicka Recovery. I've always found recovery to be a very under appreciated benefit, since the CP recovery constellations are a percentage based on your base recovery values. The larger your base, the bigger the boost it gives. That said, I know people like to flaunt their high spell damage numbers as a way to somehow prove they are better. It's a struggle.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it helps. Here are my stats with 5 kags + 2 torugs + 1 kena. (tri-stat food; boon: apprentice for spell power). Unfortunately, it's my high elf magicka NB wearing them right now. the data might be slightly different on magicka DK based on passives.

Destro/Resto:
    Max Magicka: 40,813
    Magicka Recovery: 1,131
    Max Health: 18,436
    Spell Damage: 2,886
    Spell Crit: 36%

**If I run DW instead, my stats are all virtually identical except my new Spell Damage is 3,179. Also, my weapons are still pre-DB. They're Nirnhoned and without spell damage glyphs.
    Edited by Pandorii on July 30, 2016 10:54AM
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For PvE go with 5x Julianos, 2x Skoria (or Kena with high CP/good support, in this case you can also use TBS) + Willpower/aether-jewelry and maelstrome destro ( or random) + dw-offbar. (torugs/willpower, depending on jewelry). No point in using kagrenacs or elegance for pve on a manaDK or even DW-mainbar. Staffmainbar is superior to DW bc of medium/light attacks on DK, NB and Sorc.
    For Skills go with:
    Destrobar:
    - molten whip
    - burning embers
    - engulfing flames
    - wall of elements
    - inner light
    - ult: shooting star (never use it)

DW-bar:
    - flames of oblivion
    - eruption
    - burning talons
    - rearming trap/chains/deep breath (whatever is needed for your group)
    - inner light
    - Ult: standard of might

For PvP there are some other options, but i don't have any pvp-experience on mana-DK, so i won't answer here :)
    Edited by Destruent on July 30, 2016 10:56AM
    Noobplar
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Destruent I always preferred using crushing shock + medium attack weave as my main DPS on Destro Bar. I'm curious to see what other Magicka DKs say.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Destruent I always preferred using crushing shock + medium attack weave as my main DPS on Destro Bar. I'm curious to see what other Magicka DKs say.

Crushing shock is good if you need a ranged interrupt, but i usually build for meelee and use deep breath for interrupt if needed. Molten whip is one of the strongest single target skills in pve and can crit for nearly 35k in a raid environment (with TBS/kena) while buffing your main dots. Medium weaves are strong on a DK, but you can use them with molten whip aswell :)
    Noobplar
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Molten is superior because of the buff it provides to other Ardent skills, plus it's hitting for slightly more in the long run and I've always maintained it's easier to weave (it also looks cooler. I use Force Pulse now and then, but so long as I've got a good healer I always always stick with Molten.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)