The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

(Not whine neither a troll) MY Magicka NB PvP issues

oRioNoTime
oRioNoTime
✭✭✭
I'm a returning player (1 year break), I read some post on the forum regarding the class and the only answer were whine or troll or "my class need buff not yours", etc...So I'm not asking a buff or w/e, I'm a bad player and I'm having big problems staying alive in PvP right now and I need some help^^

I always played as a magicka NB, I wasn't doing 1v5 but I considered myself a decent player.
I have 390 CPs and full v16 epic/leg gear, so not full min/max but ok I suppose.

I don't know what it changed (besides cloak) I can't stay alive and I can't kill enemies. It seems I totally miss the burst. I tried different builds, but you know the skills are not 300, the main bar is 3-4/5 always the same. I tried 2 staves and staff+dual wield; now I know people exaggerate but I read many times about those OP mag NB, I'd like to know how to manage it.

When I swap to my defensive bar (healing ward, blur/mirage, harness magicka, etc...) I die in an instant if there are 2-3 players attacking me while before I remember I was surviving well. I can't understand the problem and that's why I'm asking to you. I don't even know where to start cause I'm not killing and I'm dying in 2 seconds xD

How do you manage to own with magicka NB?
How enemies magicka NB kill and survive vs you? (not talking about duel, builds are too different from small scale pvp)

Cloak is indeed still a decent skill to escape while before was a ridicolous spammable thing used during the fight but I feel naked right now :/
Orio N - Nightblade Caster - DC EU - First Ruler of Auriel's Bow
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka cost has increased and stamina as got a boon in this patch.
    Yea!, you need more impenetrable trait and some monster sets like for damage use Nerien'eth set/ Kena set.( don't use malubeth set, its getting a nerf in the next patch)

Also, try to get undaunted passive unlocked and use some heavy armor or sword and board. Put some points in tumbling and dodge a lot.

In short, Magicka got a nerf and stamina got a major buff.
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's taken me a couple weeks to narrow down my build but I'm able to survive much longer now on my magblade.

Running 5 heavy, 2 light atm (kags, willpower, malubeth, tourags). Sword/board with res backup. Skills: inner light, swallow, sap, crippling grasp, cloak, blessing of restoration, fear, siphoning attacks, concealed wep, meteor, soul siphon. Pretty sure that's it.

Works real well for me and I can stay alive if lag is on my side. The dps isn't up there but I gave a lot of that up in order to survive more. There's prob better builds out there but play around until you find one that works for you.
    PC NA - EPHS
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    oRioNoTime wrote: »
    When I swap to my defensive bar (healing ward, blur/mirage, harness magicka, etc...) I die in an instant if there are 2-3 players attacking me while before I remember I was surviving well.

If there are 3 player and they are too tanky (and after the last patch many player are more tanky), so you can't kill them all together with a proxdet - soul harvest/devouring swarm - sap essence combo, just go for cloak and pick them one by one...
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the magblade you have to be really quick with your animation cancelling. It's a really difficult class to play. When you fight you have to be graceful lol try to debuff their movement speed and buff yours then kite and circle them. If you stand in anyone's face on a magblade they'll kill you, so avoid fighting face to face. Keep your opponent cc'd, and watch your stamina try not do dodge roll at all and let your shield take the beating. Lastly you need a good build if you don't have enough damage none of that matters
    Edited by thankyourat on July 30, 2016 9:15AM
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damage is at the highest since 1.6 at the moment. Due to Sharpened being changed there is a lot of penetration in PvP. Basically, everything with 10k armor/spell resistance and less is the same as being completely naked. Also, costs have increased by quite a bit, which is why the same builds as earlier patches don't work sometimes.
    Then we have cloak, which is currently being removed by way too may things and is therefore not really reliable.

I'd recommend running a Defending weapon on your offbar to mitigate Sharpened.
    Take a look at your sustain, enchant a jewelry piece or two with magicka regen if needed.
    Play with Shadow Image. One of the best skills NBs have.

Burst is everything and magicka NB has quite some Burst with Soul Harvest and Merciless Resolve. Combined with the sustained damage of Funnel Health weaving and Cripple, it should be more than enough to kill most enemies. Tanks are tough to kill these days, but well. They're tanks after all. You'll have to run them out of stamina by fearing them on cooldown to kill them.
    Other than that, it's just (re-)learning by doing.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • oRioNoTime
    oRioNoTime
    ✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    That seems more a PvE build with Merciless Resolve and Funnel health, are you using Kena?
    With the magblade you have to be really quick with your animation cancelling. It's a really difficult class to play. When you fight you have to be graceful lol try to debuff their movement speed and buff yours then kite and circle them. If you stand in anyone's face on a magblade they'll kill you, so avoid fighting face to face. Keep your opponent cc'd, and watch your stamina try not do dodge roll at all and let your shield take the beating. Lastly you need a good build if you don't have enough damage none of that matters

What sort of animation cancel?

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That seems more a PvE build with Merciless Resolve and Funnel health, are you using Kena?

Destro/restro you will use swallow soul and merciless and it's actually completely viable it's just the animations are a little bugged at the moment with the destro staff so I'm sticking to dual wield and concealed. the burst is also higher on my dual wield set up... bar swapping to cancel your animations when you switch bars to keep pressure up that way you don't stay on your back bar for too long. also weave light attacks with your concealed weapon they want be that strong but it will proc your enchants and ever bit of damage counts. The more you practice it the faster you will get with your animations
    Edited by thankyourat on July 30, 2016 11:49AM
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to cancel animations to magblade.
    PC NA - EPHS
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NovaShadow wrote: »

Well in PvP if you don't they will just heal through your damage because your burst is somewhat lacking on a magblade. If you let your animations play through you are gimping yourself and losing out on time you could be doing damage. I can't think of a class that needs to animation cancel as much as a magblade.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well in PvP if you don't they will just heal through your damage because your burst is somewhat lacking on a magblade. If you let your animations play through you are gimping yourself and losing out on time you could be doing damage. I can't think of a class that needs to animation cancel as much as a magblade.

Lol burst is not lacking. What I'll do is place cripple on my opponent, and light attack weave funnel health until my spectral is proc'd. Then cast entropy in order to activate might of the guild, lotus fan, mass hysteria, soul harvest, activate your spectral bow, then use concealed weapon until they're dead. Make sure you keep your shadow image up if you're 1vXing or if all doesn't go well, and go back to range until you're ready to burst them again.
  • oRioNoTime
    oRioNoTime
    ✭✭✭
    Lol burst is not lacking. What I'll do is place cripple on my opponent, and light attack weave funnel health until my spectral is proc'd. Then cast entropy in order to activate might of the guild, lotus fan, mass hysteria, soul harvest, activate your spectral bow, then use concealed weapon until they're dead. Make sure you keep your shadow image up if you're 1vXing or if all doesn't go well, and go back to range until you're ready to burst them again.

It seems a normal rotation, no idea who are you fighting but it's not working.
    That rotation is clearly lack burst.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That burst isn't always accessible though. I use to do the meteor, agony, spectral bow combo and yea it would one shot people but it's harder to pull off than some of the other combos on different characters. I'm having alot more success running dual wield Julianos and lich. Alot of magblade damage is based around crit so if someone is wearing 7 impen or just really tanky you may have problems. Magblade is my favorite class but it is a lot harder to play than some of my other classes if I'm slow with my weaving or animations or I make a mistake like not putting my shade down I'm probably going to die, but that's how the game should be and that's why I like playing magblade so much. Also funnel health hits like a wet noodle lol sometimes mine only hit for 3k when I run my destro build.
    Edited by thankyourat on July 30, 2016 2:57PM
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It seems a normal rotation, no idea who are you fighting but it's not working.
    That rotation is clearly lack burst.

Well my weapons are sharpened, and I have 100 into elemental expert, 10 points into thaumaturge, and the rest is split between elfborn and spell erosion. Oh, and I have one sword with a spell damage enchant, and the other has the armor fracture one (forgot the name). My gear is 3 willpower, 5 julianos, 1 Kena, and 3 vicious death (2 when on resto bar).
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That burst isn't always accessible though. I use to do the meteor, agony, spectral bow combo and yea it would one shot people but it's harder to pull off than some of the other combos on different characters. I'm having alot more success running dual wield Julianos and lich. Alot of magblade damage is based around crit so if someone is wearing 7 impen or just really tanky you may have problems. Magblade is my favorite class but it is a lot harder to play than some of my other classes if I'm slow with my weaving or animations or I make a mistake like not putting my shade down I'm probably going to die, but that's how the game should be and that's why I like playing magblade so much. Also funnel health hits like a wet noodle lol sometimes mine only hit for 3k when I run my destro build.

I wouldn't rely on crit damage since most talented players wear inpen, and you can't crit shields.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have seen 18k crits on players with merciless resolve. It's one of the highest damaging skills in the game and completely legit and needed for PvP imo also because it gives you minor berserk, which is a huge damage buff.
    I prefer funnel because it costs half of what concealed weapon cost, is ranged and gives me a heal over time and minor vitality (swallow soul). Plus i can weave it better with destro staff light attacks. I prefer destro resto over dualwield.
    And I prefer bloodspawn. Though you can use and sustain kena if you want.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't rely on crit damage since most talented players wear inpen, and you can't crit shields.

Yea I stack magicka and spell damage and get regen from the lich set. I do stack my crit damage as well. it's high enough where if I crit my conceal will still hit for 6k on someone wearing impen. And in open word it's really effective at getting rid of soft targets because my conceal will hit them between 8k - 10k.