Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

XBOX Mageblade trying for VMA very first clear - stuck round five

Enigmatic
Enigmatic
✭✭✭
I'm trying to progress through VMA for the very first time on XBOX NA. I was trying this a while back but took a break for a while as I got fed up with post DB DLC issues on XBOX but now trying to give it a go again.

I'm playing a Breton Mageblade. I'm CP 501+ and I'm wearing 5 piece TBS with 2x Nerien'eth. Torugs Pact destro/resto and Willpower Arcane jewellery. I found I personally do better with Nerien'eth over Kena.

I'm using Max Health and Magicka food

I've allocated my CP using the guide from an Andy S video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO1qjTxo9yI) and I've studied the mechanics of the round from a number of different videos by @Alcast, @Sharmony and @Joy_Division.

I can get to the final round boss and try and destroy islands in the order of sigils = Haste > Health > Power and Shield

I've been down to the final island before and had the boss in execute range but I just didn't manage to finish. Further attempts just lead to frustration and I'm often dying before I can get to execute.

Part of this is down to me missing mechanics and tripping up every now and again and with practice this is getting there. Part is down to physical disabilities and lack of co-ordination at times. Part is down to something else where I'm stuck on the wrong bar or I just get lag (I'm in Australia playing on NA server).

I want to get this done and it's great with a lot of resources out there but often builds and guides are using BiS gear and VMA weapons to get high scores. Is there any guide of info on just how to get a first clear?

What tips and tricks can be used to tweak my setup and get that elusive very first clear particularly on this round?
  • Would Gold Wrothgar food help or other food help?
  • Would Healthy Willpower jewellery be of use to boost health stats?
  • Tri-stat potions instead of Magicka pots (I'm using Entropy)?

I know round five is not a DPS race except for the final island part but feel my DPS is OK, I just need to get to that last part again having done it before. Part of the problem I know is me getting a full handle on the mechanics but what can I do to to help get through?
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On what ulti are you using? On the last platform I drop veil of blades, you've got about 15s to kill the boss and it lasts about 17s doesn't it? Does about 60k damage over that and gives a 30% reduction. When the 2nd platform goes get a cripple on it and dash over, grab both sigils and chuck out twisting path, blockade and smash away and impale it to death in your Veil. Put it right in the middle and just stun the troll. The veil will be enough to kill it and ignore everything else.

It is just a pure dps race and just make sure you're in the veil and got all dots and aoes down and spam impale.

Try not to rely on a resto swap build in vma. Just slot the other morph of harness as it's a bigger shield and NBs don't need the magika return from harness and wack away.

Are you using mark target too? Get that on it before it gets to the 3rd platform. Makes it a lot weaker.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Enigmatic
    Enigmatic
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've just started running with Veil of Blades. On Destro and for this round specifically right now I tend to be more comfortable with:

Impale
    Crippling Grasp
    Swallow Soul
    Structured Entropy
    Inner Light

Veil of Blades

On Resto:

Dark Shades
    Refreshing Path
    Healing Ward
    Siphoning Attacks
    Inner Light

Ice Comet

I'll redo my morphs and look at trying Dampen Magicka

I've tried running Blockade on the front bar in place of Impale (and put that on the back bar) but I just didn't feel comfortable with it as I find I need to over concentrate on my rotation and I don't want to be stuck switching bars when trying to get the kill
  • TARAFRAKA
    TARAFRAKA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest replacing entropy with blockade. That is a HUGE dps loss not using blockade. Is there a specific reason you're running entrophy? If it's for the buff, use crafted potions to give you the buff instead. Practice using blockade in your normal rotation because I promise it is worth it.
    I'm Xbone NA, you can shoot me a message and I can chat more with you if you'd like. Gamer tag is TARAFRAKA.
  • Enigmatic
    Enigmatic
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @TARAFRAKA I will switch to using blockade again after this round. It just didn't feel right in my rotation and I seemed to be tripping over myself with it.

And yes, I was using Entropy for the buff. It's my first time through and I was burning through heaps of SP pots and running out of mats so switched. Will revert to proper pots.

I've actually just beaten the round. I swapped out my Arcane Willpower for Healthy Willpower and got it second go with the rotation above. I need to practice and get better but I think the extra health gave me the edge this time.

It's not perfect but it's progress and I can work to improve so I don't need the crutch of extra health.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Use crushing shock. Essential for the trolls. I use that, impale, blockade, inner light and dampen.

Sword bar.
    Cripple, reapers, relentless, twisted path and sap. So sap up, mark, relentless, path, and over to destro to weave them down in your blockade and count to 4 weaves, back to swords and boom with an op spectral.

Crushing shock is also epic for nerenith, 3 hits at once is 3x the chances to proc. Yes I don't use swallow soul, mainly for this very reason. Keep dampen up and you won't need it. In trouble spam sap and path to run away.

PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!