The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Legit or phishing? [cross-post]

Egade
Egade
This is a cross-post, but I'm not getting any answers on the other subforum. Please bear with me.

Hi everybody,

my ESO Plus expired and I've just received an email offering me a free month if I subscribe again.
Is this legit or a phishing attempt?
The sender and link in the email are not necessarily from Bethesda and I can't find any info about such an offer online.

This is the text of the email:

We noticed that you just cancelled your ESO Plus membership, and we'd like to see if we can tempt you back with a special one-time, buy one month, get one month free offer.

<Image>

As you probably know, there's a lot of cool stuff that comes with ESO Plus membership:

Access to all DLC Game Packs including Orsinium, the Imperial City, the Thieves Guild and the brand new Dark Brotherhood.
1500 Crowns per 30-day membership to spend in the in-game Crown Store.
Access to the exclusive Craft Bag for additional inventory space shared across all characters
A 10% bonus to character progression.
If you would take us up on this unique, one-time offer and buy one month of ESO Plus to receive one month free, simply respond to this email. We'll get back to you as soon as possible with more information. Hurry, as we are only able to offer this deal for a week.

In addition, if there is anything at all we can do to help make your overall ESO experience better, please let us know. We're here to help!

Warm Regards,
Petyr
The Elder Scrolls Online Support Team
Wake me up when Elder Scrolls Online VR headstart begins!
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cant find the offer when you login to your account the normal way, I guess phishing.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what email address is it from? I've heard of people getting similar offers, so I assume it's legit, if it's coming from an official email address.
  • Egade
    Egade
    LarsS wrote: »
    If you cant find the offer when you login to your account the normal way, I guess phishing.

Do you have an idea how they got to my real name, email address and entered an incident in the support site?
    How is this possible?

Is there nobody else getting an offer like this? How can it be I'm the only one!??!
  • Egade
    Egade
    emeraldbay wrote: »
    what email address is it from? I've heard of people getting similar offers, so I assume it's legit, if it's coming from an official email address.

The sender is a pretty generic mailer which may be legit (Sony uses sh** like this): teso_help@mailmw.custhelp.com

The link in which to enter the creds is an ow.ly address which will forward me, but I didn't click it, I'm pretty paranoid.

Obsiously, the email sender may be forged, there's no way you can actually tell if an email comes from a presumed address or not.
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that other people did receive the same email when they cancelled their ESO plus. My guess is that it is legit. I mean, who the heck is monitoring ESO's info to find out when people cancel their subs in order to send them and only them a scam email. That doesn't make any sense to me.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psssht, Littlefinger wouldn't email you. He expects you to be already swiping right and sending him snaps and liking his carved engravings on Instaweir.
    signing off
  • Ryuuhime
    Ryuuhime
    ✭✭✭
    Egade wrote: »

Do you have an idea how they got to my real name, email address and entered an incident in the support site?
    How is this possible?

Is there nobody else getting an offer like this? How can it be I'm the only one!??!

I've gotten one as well, when my sub ended and didn't renew. However, I renewed Eso Plus before seeing the email so I missed the offer and can't tell if it's legit or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to stop in an let you know that promotion is legitimate and there is nothing to worry about! We understand how unsettling these situations can be without clarification, hope this helps put you at ease.

Enjoy the day!
    Staff Post
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I cancel can I get a "Buy 6 Months, Get 6 Months" offer?

:)

:trollface:
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Egade
    Egade
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted to stop in an let you know that promotion is legitimate and there is nothing to worry about! We understand how unsettling these situations can be without clarification, hope this helps put you at ease.

Enjoy the day!

Thanks for the headsup! Pardon my initial skepticism.
    Edited by Egade on July 18, 2016 10:38PM
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually a really smart business move of ZOS to do this. The motif behind it is that when you resubscribe, you forget to cancel it again, so you pay for more ESO Plus.

ESO Plus perks are pretty nice though, so it's not like you get burnt on the deal.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Egade
    Egade
    I removed this post because it is unsubstantial.
    Whatever I wrote here was, was wrong!
    Edited by Egade on July 18, 2016 10:37PM
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    @Egade, you can take advantage of the special offer by simply logging in at https:account.elderscrollsonline.com and add ESO Plus back to your account. :)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Egade
    Egade
    Yes that's what I've just done. I have renewed the subscription by going directly to the website and logging in, but I wonder how I'll get those 30 days now :smile:

We'll see. I hope this is all just me having phishing-angst :dizzy:
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    Hey @Egade, that was an excellent question and the answer is that you need to reply to that email. Just reply to it and state that you've renewed your membership and that team will ensure you get your additional month. :)

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a standard promotion offered to everyone who cancels and then renews? If so we should all do it!
  • Egade
    Egade
    I don't know. My first sub is from 2014, right when ESO went online + I was in the open beta. Don't know if that is relevant, though.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Is this a standard promotion offered to everyone who cancels and then renews? If so we should all do it!

One time only, so use it wisely.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is actually legit. I got the same email, checked the link, replied on why I would no longer subscribe to the game. They actually answered me (unlike support tickets) saying they understood my reasons and would leave the offer open if I changed my mind
  • Egade
    Egade
    After some 3 hours everything is settled now.

The pie is not a lie :smiley:
    Edited by Egade on July 18, 2016 10:39PM
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone,

Enjoy the day!

@ZOS_AntonioP Thanks for the clarification. How about this one? Sounds very similar to the OP's so I'm guessing this is legit after all? I was literally about to post this in the stickied phishing thread as a warning given the email it's sent from isn't listed in your support base as the "only" safe emails:
    Please note: We will also only contact you from the following e-mail addresses:
    ESO_Help@elderscrollsonline.com
    ESO_Help@helpmail.elderscrollsonline.com
    noreply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com

Here's the (very professional looking) email:

28328634891_dccd0474b5_o.jpg
  • Egade
    Egade
    Op here. Thats the same i got. Problem is, its easy to forge one now with a dangerous link.
    So while this is legit in about 24 hours it may be abused for phishing...
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Op here. Thats the same i got. Problem is, its easy to forge one now with a dangerous link.
    So while this is legit in about 24 hours it may be abused for phishing...

Just seems weird given that I have a recurring 30 day sub. It hasn't dropped. It sounds like an awesome offer and why WOULDN'T I want it? If I'm already subbed shouldn't this be automagic? What makes me qualify? Because I've played for longer than most? Is it random? And why is it setup in this shady "respond to this email quickly" way instead of "log into your account management to activate this offer"?

At face value it screams phishing.
  • Egade
    Egade
    Exactly :smile:

I agree on every thing you point out!

I'd even go further and say that you shouldn't have gotten is, because you're still subscribed.
    As far as I can tell, "they" send the mail only days after your sub expired definitively.
    Do as I did: write a support ticket to billing and see what they say.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do as I did: write a support ticket to billing and see what they say.

Good advice, thanks :smile:
  • Egade
    Egade
    All they need to do is send an email, exactly the same as above, which says this:

"Please log into your account and follow the new "Special offer" link at the top."

Without any links or HTTP:// addresses in the email at all.

Probably it's not possible to modify the backend this easily and they opted for a more convenient solution, exposing us players to malevolent Daedra Princes in the process...

I can understand their reasoning and I don't want to judge. I mean, I got the 30 days so I'm really happy it all worked out well :smiley:

GJ zeni!!! <3
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is this possible?

This is the internet. Not even joking, assume that everything you have ever entered on any website is publicly available to a certain point. Including bank accts, social sec number, etc.
  • Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, everyone should just drop there subscription, then click that link and join ESO+ again to get the free month? Sounds like a plan to me!

Lastly, what's the reward for those that stay or stayed subscribed to ESO+???

Too bad we don't get "proper communication" on these types of sales campaigns. One day hopefully, they will get a real customer relations and communications team.
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jailbirdy wrote: »
    Too bad we don't get "proper communication" on these types of sales campaigns. One day hopefully, they will get a real customer relations and communications team.

I have to ask. You want them to advertise and tell everyone that, if you have dropped your ESO Plus subscription, they will give you one month free if you resubscribe for a month? This is, presumably, so that everyone can quit ESO Plus so they can get a free month? What business would do that?

Continued membership, uninterrupted, including the crafting bag, access to all DLC, 1500 Crowns per month subscribed, and a 10% bonus to character progression. It will also include unlimited costume recoloring starting in August.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask. You want them to advertise and tell everyone that, if you have dropped your ESO Plus subscription, they will give you one month free if you resubscribe for a month? This is, presumably, so that everyone can quit ESO Plus so they can get a free month? What business would do that?

Continued membership, uninterrupted, including the crafting bag, access to all DLC, 1500 Crowns per month subscribed, and a 10% bonus to character progression. It will also include unlimited costume recoloring starting in August.

Square Enix
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.