Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Game Causing PC to Restart

SithWaterDancer
I've had this problem really longer than I can remember, but it isn't always this bad. This weekend has been exceptionally horrible for it to where I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. So here's my issue:

Yesterday (Saturday July 16th) I was able to play for a couple of hours with no problem. Then my computer shut down and restarted completely on its own. When it came back up, there were no computer error messages. When I reopened the game there were no error messages. Not even 20 minutes later, the same thing happened. Again, my computer rebooted with no error messages. However, when I did log in to ESO, it did pop up with a "hey, what were you doing when the game crashed" type of message. I filled it out and continued playing. Five minutes later, my computer shut down again. It proceeded to do this every five to ten minutes for the next half-hour or so until I gave up. I took a couple hour break and when I came back, it was fine for about ten minutes before the game completely froze and my speakers began to make a god-awful LOUD buzzing sound. That was when I gave up completely for the day. Now we have today. I have been attempting to play for... oh I don't know, the past four hours, nearly, and I've had far worse luck than yesterday. It has restarted every five to ten minutes, I can't even get across the town I'm in once I've logged in before it crashes (or whatever) again. It has, just now, crashed twice while I have been typing this up. The second time I had logged in and was sitting at the character selection page. I will say, the time before that, the one that sent me over the edge to post about it, I was experiencing horrendous lag, NPCs not loading, and no verbal dialogue while talking to merchants, moments prior. I'm not sure if that was related or not though, as it's my first time visiting the Orsinium area.

I've done a little bit of research and found a lot of things referencing parts overheating or apps running in the background. I have shut all non-essential programs down, nothing extra is running. We have a bunch of fans, a brand new graphics card, my bf ran some tests to see if any of the suggested parts were overheating/acting up. We have yet to come across anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next before I rip my hair out??

Here are parts I know of:
- Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX970 Super Super Clocked with ACX 2.0 cooling
- Mother Board: EVGA X58 SLI3
- Power Supply: Fatality Professional Series 550w

Any direction/suggestion would be greatly appreciated :smile:<3
  • SithWaterDancer
    Update: I was able to play about a half-hour before it crashed, then it crashed three times in ten minutes -_-
    Options
  • Flubble86
    Flubble86
    Soul Shriven
    if it's restarting try using the computer from a different power socket, maybe a different room on another circuit if possible to rule out the socket/circuit

you have a pre-overclocked graphics card, you could try underclocking down to 1050MHz (the base clockspeed of a GTX970) as i've heard a few people having success with that

sometimes with a restarting crash, it is actually a "blue screen error", you might have automatic restart enabled (does not show a blue screen), you can disable that and you might get more information on what has made it crash on the blue screen, you can disable that by:

"Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Under Startup and Recovery click Settings -> untick the box for automatic restart"

although it should write a dump file (with the same information) to "Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System" when it has been restarting so no need to disable automatic restart unless you want to. but seeing a blue screen would rule out circuitry issues as there is still power going to the pc.

if you know more specs of your pc then you can go to http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and fill the form in to find out if your 550W PSU is enough for everything you have inside and outside of it.

you are not on your own though, mines crashing all the time(every 5 to 30 mins) and it's doing my head in and support is next to useless, this is the only game that crashes on me lol

if you crash / lock up and get a black screen and it doesn't restart the pc, i recommend you restart the pc as when i've been crashing like that my GPU usage is stuck at 100% after the game is closed lol

Edited by Flubble86 on July 17, 2016 8:46PM
    Options