Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 11 Guide: Costume Dyes"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Update 11 Guide: Costume Dyes. Learn all about ESO's long-anticipated costume dye system!

b50c7630833ac21d137b992c2a8cb727.jpg
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Nadijeh
    Nadijeh
    ✭✭✭
    Now we just need some really awesome costumes :wink:
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So PVP dyes will be available from dye stamps? Isn't this more or less the same as just outright selling achievements, invalidating the "accomplishments" (in quotes because it is just a game after all) of the players that actually earned the achievements? Realistcally speaking, how far away are we from selling things like the Maelstrom Baron polymorph and the Flawless Conqueror title in the crown store?

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do dye stamps stack to 200?
  • Kwivur
    Kwivur
    ✭✭✭✭
    meh
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I assume this is a 8/16 release for consoles right?
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • wolfxspice
    wolfxspice
    ✭✭✭
    When i heard about this, i started looking at some of the costumes in the crown store, then i heard it was eso+ thing, the craft bag didn't sell and I'm a 8+ trait crafter across the board, and I'm always struggling with bank space. That being said this doesn't make want to get eso+ either, for me all it does is make me overlook the costumes in the crown store, even though i think it would be cool to run around on my alt, lift's-her-tail in a black and white noble dress.
    I'm a casual now
  • Rajajshka
    Rajajshka
    ✭✭✭
    If you remove the costume after it has been dyed, or go on another character and put on the same costume will the dye still be there?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Legoless wrote: »
    Do dye stamps stack to 200?
    Yes, they do!
    If you remove the costume after it has been dyed, or go on another character and put on the same costume will the dye still be there?
    No, dyes are on a per-character basis.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • mellify
    mellify
    Soul Shriven
    I'm pretty excited to use this! I think costume dying is a good ESO+ benefit--because I wouldn't miss it terribly if my membership ends, but I would still greatly enjoy it while I have it.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So PVP dyes will be available from dye stamps? Isn't this more or less the same as just outright selling achievements, invalidating the "accomplishments" (in quotes because it is just a game after all) of the players that actually earned the achievements? Realistcally speaking, how far away are we from selling things like the Maelstrom Baron polymorph and the Flawless Conqueror title in the crown store?

No. The dye stamps will only be from the Common Dyes selection area. To me this makes them almost completely useless. There is a definite lack of vibrant and dark colors in this game already and none of those dyes has the satiny sheen of the Rare dyes or even some of the middle tier dyes.

Worse, these dyes are set in pre-determined channels. That means that each dye is actually a set of 3 colors and you have no control over where each color is placed on your armor.

That they are using the existing colors at all is also a terrible idea. I sub so I'll never purchase a "dye stamp." I WAS excited when I thought this meant they'd be bringing NEW colors to the crown store that were not available otherwise. But they aren't. They're just using the most common dyes already available in the game. And even if they DID bring in new colors, it is highly doubtful I'd buy them because I want to be able to determine which color I use in which channel myself.

Overall, I feel they really missed the mark on this. No NEW colors. No player control of color placement. The most common dyes that are easy to get just by playing the game being all that is available. There's NO reason for someone with a subscription to buy dyes stamps, as there would be if the crown store introduced new and exclusive colors. And there's really no reason for those who play for free to buy them either as they are only using the most boring and easiest to obtain dyes the game has to offer in the first place.

The whole thing seems really poorly thought out.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• HaymakerXtc
    HaymakerXtc
    ✭✭
    wolfxspice wrote: »
    When i heard about this, i started looking at some of the costumes in the crown store, then i heard it was eso+ thing, the craft bag didn't sell and I'm a 8+ trait crafter across the board, and I'm always struggling with bank space. That being said this doesn't make want to get eso+ either, for me all it does is make me overlook the costumes in the crown store, even though i think it would be cool to run around on my alt, lift's-her-tail in a black and white noble dress.

If i wasn't a ESO member, the Craftbag alone would have me sub. As an avid crafter and adventurer hehe 190 Slot bank isnt enough, even have my own 500 Slot guild bank... not enough, Now with the crafting bag, i have an Abundance of Room, its amazing hehe. The XP bonus is nice too
  • E-Zekiel
    E-Zekiel
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance we could expand this to have a piece-by-piece dye alotment? IE, boots, hands, chest, hood etc. Not necessarily by launch, but just in the future in general.
    Edited by E-Zekiel on July 18, 2016 12:31AM
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    All Dye Stamp items' names are prefaced with a name for that group of Dye Stamps
    Nope: Alit Hide Green is still broken on the image, it should read: First Frost: Alit Hide Green
    a081377486ac04571cc9bc0e56ffd4cd.jpg

If that wasn't so bad, I had actually reported it for the PTS when the others were Frostfall:
    The image icon for Alit Hide Green is missing the Frostfall: part.
    030f7222e02b766dae2589167026b1aa.png

And they may look better with the text separated rather than clunked together on the images (Tooltip variant is fine)
    First Frost:       First Frost:          First Frost:     First Frost:
    Alit Hide Green    Emerald and Leather   Cranberry Cake   Battleaxe Brown

Rather than:
    Alit Hide Green    First Frost: Emerald
                       and Leather

I see ZOS already changed some:
    Frostfall: Cranberry   Frostfall: Battleaxe
    Cake                   Brown

To:
    First Frost:     First Frost:
    Cranberry Cake   Battleaxe Brown

Which is a start, but partially changing the layout?
    a081377486ac04571cc9bc0e56ffd4cd.jpg
    If the Emerald and Leather and other longer names would block the right hand color pot, so you couldn't see it, ZOS could always put the longer ones like:
    First Frost:      First Frost:     First Frost:     First Frost:
    Alit Hide Green   Emerald and      Dessert for      Battleaxe Brown
                      Leather          Dinner

Just trying to help...
    E-Zekiel wrote: »
    Is there any chance we could expand this to have a piece-by-piece dye alotment? IE, boots, hands, chest, hood etc. Not necessarily by launch, but just in the future in general.
    The costumes themselves are ONE piece, the limited separate hats are another.

What I have been asking for is the hats to be separated from the costumes but included with them, since we know you can hide the hat/helm and even replace a costumes hat with a different hat.

So I don't really see any difficulty with the costume items having costume + hat, instead of costume with hat.
    This would increase our customisation options with additional combinations such as Night Ordinator with Jester Hat, Wedding Dress with the Desert Veil, and so on...
    Edited by Coolio_Wolfus on July 18, 2016 1:44AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad to see that the dye stamps start at 50 Crowns. This makes them much more affordable and useful, since they are one-use items for one costume for one character. Plus, the fact that the dyes are pre-set with no customization and are non-rare dyes that are easily obtained in-game.

But, "start at" is an indicator that there will be others that cost more. Presumably, higher prices would be for completely NEW colors? Hopefully, it doesn't mean that 50 crowns is an intro price or just the price for the first set, and it will go up after that.

I understand that all quality of life features are now going to be behind a paywall. Crafting bags was the first (ESO+ only, with no Crown Store option), now costume dyeing (which does have both, but the Crown Store is woefully limited). I dread to see how much of player housing will be locked behind ESO+.

If ESO+ actually worked consistently on XB, I'd consider subscribing again. Until then, no quality of life for me.
  • Panifex
    Panifex
    Soul Shriven
    I'm a bit confused... the 7/14 post about costume dyes says that they're here, but I have yet to be able to see it in game. Is this part of a forthcoming update? If so, the article is a bit misleading and should at least mention somewhere that this is coming at a future date.
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Panifex wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused... the 7/14 post about costume dyes says that they're here, but I have yet to be able to see it in game. Is this part of a forthcoming update? If so, the article is a bit misleading and should at least mention somewhere that this is coming at a future date.
    They are on the test server (PTS). They are not live yet on any platform. They will be on live servers next month on the upcoming update/patch. Check the news forum for the exact dates per platform .....

• The_Undefined
    The_Undefined
    ✭✭✭✭
    So for sure this is coming out on Aug 1 for PC / Mac at least? I don't know the dates for consoles so that's why I limited it to comp. Also, if I may make a suggestion, please post in the articles the dates, even if it says Update 11, it reads unclear. Personally I thought that was just the title of the article, like this is a new update. I might be stupid, but I'm sure I'mnot the only one who thought this. Also, I don't just mean for this article, but for all future articles that have known / published dates of content. :)
    Edited by The_Undefined on July 29, 2016 10:25PM