Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

transmutation

Captain8504
Captain8504
✭✭✭
I really wish there was something in eso kinda like gw2. A way you can turn a weapon into another. Or weapon skins would be nice. If they don't want to put it in the game, they could add something along the lines in the crown store.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to change motifs/styles on gear is one of more wanted cosmetic items in the game.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I hate recrafting an entire new set of yellow gear of the exact same stats just to change the looks.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    Yep. I hate recrafting an entire new set of yellow gear of the exact same stats just to change the looks.
    One of my biggest problems (aside from motif design) is sometimes the new piece of gear I have dyes completely differently than everything else I have. Xivkyn light helm is a great example -- I just can't get it to match the hue of anything else I ever have on unless I've gone full Xivkyn. Being able to change that look would be such a huge boost.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I could say this is an interesting idea, as a "lore" defender (quoted because it's not exactly lore), I wouldn't like to have it and the reason is the weird concept of style materials.

Because of them, sounds unreal to have something that was shaped by a style material, changed to something else.

Consider just the ones that do make sense for the crafting purpose, like an Obsidian (Dunmer) and and Corundum (Nord). They're both minerals of some sort, theoretically they're melted with the iron during the iron casting process, giving it some "special property" (inexistent in the game, I have to say)

Makes sense as in "imbuing" something with a distinct characteristic, but it doesn't fit as THE thing designed to style a piece of armor. Cultures and traditions are much more realistic and if we didn't have the style materials -OR- if they weren't the biggest decisive factor, transmutation could coexist with the crafting system because you would be taking a piece of shaped metal (or leather, linen, wood..) and would reshape it to follow a different culture.

It wouldn't break the lore because your gear would not be legitimately crafted as one specific style, but it would be inspired by a different culture.

If Sherlock Holmes had it inpected, he could say by looking that it was originally made for one Culture and then remodeled to another. That the job was really well done, but small traces of the past could be noticed here and there.

But, here, quantity seems to be more important than quality so, meh...

And just to be clear my point is only against the style materials. Motif ARE very needed.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I still wish they'd have weapon skins in store at least. I mean its a win win almost we have cool weaponary and they'd make money.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Being able to change motifs/styles on gear is one of more wanted cosmetic items in the game.

Ability for crafters to re-trait and re-style gear is my #1 most wanted feature for 2 years.

So far ZOS hasn't said they even plan to add it, sadly.

It would be SO nice to at least be able to transmog gear looks.
  • Clerics1985
    Clerics1985
    ✭✭✭
    if you are part of the Imperial Edition you can right click any piece of Gear and there's a one-click option to change the motif from what it "was" to Imperial ofc it bounds it to your account, I suppose this wouldn't be hard to achieve as a Type of "service" in the crown store.
  • Crowzer
    Crowzer
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will make it real in a next update.
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Can you do that on console?
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    Changing the style of your equipment wouldn't be lore breaking. Magic exists in the Elder Scrolls setting. If we can use magic to transmute silver into gold, I'm sure it's possible to cosmetically alter outfits. You're not even changing the physical properties of the material, just its appearance.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more expensive Altmer fashion is made using magical alteration (e.g., glowing filigree, levitating accents, etc.).
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
  • robeauch
    robeauch
    ✭✭✭
    In a limited form, this already exists in the game for Imperial Edition players -- they can convert any item's style into Imperial.

I think it'd be a useful feature, and I don't think it would even involve magic. You're just changing the physical appearance of an item, not its function. It may not be as trivial as dyeing it a new color, but neither is it supernatural. It's just crafting.

Plausibly, though, you could say that it should cost some (low) quantity of materials beyond just the style ingredient. LIke, half the normal cost, say (but maybe maxing out at 10 so it'll be useful at CP160).

So, a 12-ingot sword could be converted with six fresh ingots (and the style material). A 130-ingot CP160 sword could be converted with 10 ingots and the style material.
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    yes please, I would love to be able to change whatever gear I'm wearing to a know motif. charge me a style material and / or crowns. I really don't care how it gets done. I just really want this to happen.

I hate looking at my toon, but if I craft great gear then there is zero point to me doing a dungeon since I won't wear anything that drops.
  • KiritoUD
    KiritoUD
    I wish yoy could just dye the color of your weapon
    Guild=Brotherhood of Merchants
    Gamertag=Kirito UD
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    KiritoUD wrote: »
    I wish yoy could just dye the color of your weapon

Wish you could also dye the armor you buy out of the crown store as well.