Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Alchemy Reagents

Avalon
Avalon
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it just me, or are there way too many creatures roaming around without their parts? Wingless butterflies, torch bugs with no thoraxes, mud crabs with no shells, etc... Surely this isn't working as intended?
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heh heh, I get it... RNG right?
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RNGeebus must be giving you grief. I honestly have no trouble finding reagents. Just gotta be persistent and know where to look.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think about it, you're snatching a butterfly or a torchbug out of the sky and flat-out murdering a mudcrab. What are the odds you didn't crush a wing or break the chitin beyond usefulness?
    Edited by rhapsodious on June 30, 2016 9:24PM
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can 'harvest' 20 butterflies, and get maybe four or five wings... Lol
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Avalon wrote: »

Considering the vast quantity of such things in certain locales though; that is understandable.
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the vast quantity of such things in certain locales though; that is understandable.

Well, not sure about others, but 'wingless butterfly' to me means 'caterpillar' Lol... And I've done this on my all medium armor, night blade that has finished TG & DB, so, if anyone has finesse, it'd be her... Also tried on my master crafter, 50 alchemy with all perks bought, so, he has the skill... No difference. So, rationalizing so few by saying we crush them or ruin them somehow? No... It'd be awesome if ZOS included such factors into seeing if you got any, and if you got multiples (like 2 wings)

Also, odds of crushing 100 out of 100 mud crabs into uselessness? I've never looted one, but killed tons. And, if the randomness is due to ZOS saying we screwed up the harvest... How come EVERY plant, node, etc results in 100% success rate, except bugs, crabs, etc? I'd say catching a torch bug without messing up its thorax is a great deal easier and requires much less knowledge than mining.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, not sure about others, but 'wingless butterfly' to me means 'caterpillar' Lol... And I've done this on my all medium armor, night blade that has finished TG & DB, so, if anyone has finesse, it'd be her... Also tried on my master crafter, 50 alchemy with all perks bought, so, he has the skill... No difference. So, rationalizing so few by saying we crush them or ruin them somehow? No... It'd be awesome if ZOS included such factors into seeing if you got any, and if you got multiples (like 2 wings)

Also, odds of crushing 100 out of 100 mud crabs into uselessness? I've never looted one, but killed tons. And, if the randomness is due to ZOS saying we screwed up the harvest... How come EVERY plant, node, etc results in 100% success rate, except bugs, crabs, etc? I'd say catching a torch bug without messing up its thorax is a great deal easier and requires much less knowledge than mining.

Yep, classic case of RNGeebus shenanigans. I don't deny the drop rate for reagents is pretty low but even I, an abnormally misfortunate gamer, get my fair share of reagents. How many do I have so far? Well let's see...

38 Beetle Scuttle
    30 Butterfly Wings
    140 Fleshfly Larva
    11 Mudcrab Chitin
    25 Nightshade
    17 Scrib Jelly
    112 Spider Eggs
    144 Torchbug Thorax

This is what I have now as opposed to the total I have collected which some were spent identifying traits.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Be less violent when you grab them!

"Oooh! Pristine butterfly wings!"

*CCRRRUUUSSSHHH!!*

"No usable parts? :( "
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »

Be less violent when you grab them!

"Oooh! Pristine butterfly wings!"

*CCRRRUUUSSSHHH!!*

"No usable parts? :( "

I'm not catching them with a maul Lol... My hands are gentle and sensitive enough to have never fail any of the locks in the game, all levels :-)
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting away from real life nature here but I would not have thought that every butterfly would now have wings simply because wings are a new alchemy reagent when none of them had wings before DB. I'd suggest the same goes for torchbugs, none of them had the thorax before DB, so why would they all have them now.

Is it simply that every butterfly now had the chance to also drop wings and every torchbug has the chance to drop thorax. This is no different to plants having the chance to also drop worms or crawlers for fishing. There is also nothing to say that 'insect parts' does not include the wings.

This is the same as other 'special' materials in game, not every harvesting node in Craglorn has nirncrux, only the chance of getting nirncrux.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Getting away from real life nature here but I would not have thought that every butterfly would now have wings simply because wings are a new alchemy reagent when none of them had wings before DB. I'd suggest the same goes for torchbugs, none of them had the thorax before DB, so why would they all have them now.

Is it simply that every butterfly now had the chance to also drop wings and every torchbug has the chance to drop thorax. This is no different to plants having the chance to also drop worms or crawlers for fishing. There is also nothing to say that 'insect parts' does not include the wings.

This is the same as other 'special' materials in game, not every harvesting node in Craglorn has nirncrux, only the chance of getting nirncrux.

It's because the reagents did not exist until DB. Every reagent I listed in my last post are the new ones hosting 3 new traits in addition to some existing ones.
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because the reagents did not exist until DB. Every reagent I listed in my last post are the new ones hosting 3 new traits in addition to some existing ones.

And over all, pretty useless as well... I get much more use for potions & poisons from the old reagents. The only big thing is new achievements from figuring out the new stuff, but, having to use the auctions to get the few I need of certain things O.o
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And over all, pretty useless as well... I get much more use for potions & poisons from the old reagents. The only big thing is new achievements from figuring out the new stuff, but, having to use the auctions to get the few I need of certain things O.o

Actually they do have use. The 3 new traits offer Major Mending, Minor Protection, and/or Restore Health over time effects via Potions and as a Poison they apply Minor Defile to the enemy and Minor Vitality to you, Minor Vulnerability to the enemy and Minor Protection to you, and/or Poison Damage over time to the enemy and Restore Health over time to you.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, everything has been dropping fine as far as the new reagents except butterfly wings. I have yet to get one.....do they even exist? Is this a troll? I need to logon and start killing butterflies now....thanks...
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, everything has been dropping fine as far as the new reagents except butterfly wings. I have yet to get one.....do they even exist? Is this a troll? I need to logon and start killing butterflies now....thanks...

CmPDRRuVYAEg3Th.jpg:large
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually they do have use. The 3 new traits offer Major Mending, Minor Protection, and/or Restore Health over time effects via Potions and as a Poison they apply Minor Defile to the enemy and Minor Vitality to you, Minor Vulnerability to the enemy and Minor Protection to you, and/or Poison Damage over time to the enemy and Restore Health over time to you.

I didn't say new traits were useless, or the new potions/poisons. But, I can make the tri-potion into a poison that drains health/mag/stam. I can make poison that lowers armor, or stuns enemies. The old ingredients are all that is needed for all of that. The new ingredients, for the most part, are useless.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say new traits were useless, or the new potions/poisons. But, I can make the tri-potion into a poison that drains health/mag/stam. I can make poison that lowers armor, or stuns enemies. The old ingredients are all that is needed for all of that. The new ingredients, for the most part, are useless.

Well the new reagents are the ONLY ones that make the new Potion/Poison traits so for those that use them they aren't useless.
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the new reagents are the ONLY ones that make the new Potion/Poison traits so for those that use them they aren't useless.

Are they particularly useful in PvP? Because I despise the PvP in this game, not because of the mechanics, but because of the lag, lack of class balancing, disconnects, load screens, etc etc... Every time turn around, something new to make me hate it. So, if they are really good for PvP, then OK, I wouldn't know.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Are they particularly useful in PvP? Because I despise the PvP in this game, not because of the mechanics, but because of the lag, lack of class balancing, disconnects, load screens, etc etc... Every time turn around, something new to make me hate it. So, if they are really good for PvP, then OK, I wouldn't know.

Well Major Mending may be of use to the big healers that don't already make use of it. Beyond that I honestly cannot say which poisons are most popular amongst the meta as I don't meta lol
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Major Mending may be of use to the big healers that don't already make use of it. Beyond that I honestly cannot say which poisons are most popular amongst the meta as I don't meta lol

Never understood what 'the meta' means Lol... I just use what I think is most useful based on the character I play, and as I have a pretty wide assortment of characters, I tend to get knowledgeable about a wide variety of things.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Never understood what 'the meta' means Lol... I just use what I think is most useful based on the character I play, and as I have a pretty wide assortment of characters, I tend to get knowledgeable about a wide variety of things.

Same. I also use builds based on themes if I so desire. The meta is just that group of gamers that min/max and consider anything else inferior.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do butterflys fly with only one wing, or torchbugs without thoraxes?

Buggy thoughts.
    Edited by Thrasher91604 on July 1, 2016 12:11AM