The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A Small Rework of the "Magicka" Races and Their Passives

Akimbro
Akimbro
✭✭✭✭
As it stands now, 4 out of the 10 races cater towards magicka builds. Those races are the Dunmer, Altmer, Breton, and Argonian, each with passives that provide a certain purpose. Those purposes, I believe, appear to be somewhat balanced as far as gameplay goes, and can be summarized as the following:

Dunmer - high (elemental) damage, no sustain
Altmer - average (elemental) damage, average sustain
Breton - no damage, high sustain
Argonians - strong healing

At a glance, it would appear that your choice of race would be fair to fit whatever your class/playstyle is. However, if you notice the type of damage caused by Dunmer and Altmer, it is both elemental damage. There appears to be a significant lack of passives that increase magic damage in not only racial passives, but in class passives as well. Every class has some sort of damaging ability that deals magic damage, and classes like Nightblades and Templars revolve heavily around magic damage. Now, before people start accusations of this being a cry to buff Nightblades and Templars, please take a look at the all of the racial and class passives yourself. There are passives that increase every source of damage (elemental, poison/disease, physical) except for magic damage.

In order to provide more of a balance, and in attempt to remain within the scope of the lore (though I am no lore expert), the following are suggested revisions for the magicka race passives.

Dunmer - The Dunmer are known for their stealth and skill with destruction magic
  • Dynamic - Increases max magicka and stamina by 6%
  • Resist Flame - Increases flame resistance by 2179, and increases max magicka by 3%
  • Destructive Ancestry - Increase damage with Cold, Fire, or Shock effects by 6% -or- Increase damage with Fire effects by 7%, and Cold and Shock effects by 5%
Reasoning: The Destructive Ancestry passive should be what the Altmer's Elemental Talent is as destruction magic does not only pertain to fire. Also, the damage increase could be higher at around 6% to all elements (vs. 7% fire, 2% cold/shock) as a trade-off for not having any sustain.

Altmer - The Altmer are snobby (but "cultured") and known to be gifted in the arcane arts
  • Spellcharge - Increases magicka recovery by 9%
  • Gift of Magus - Increases max magicka by 10%
  • Arcane Power - Increases spell critical by 5% (or the equivalent of ~4% damage, without surpassing Dunmer) (or increase damage with magic effects)
Reasoning: Previously it was mentioned that there was a lack of magic damage passives and it would seem fitting for Altmers. However, according to lore, the Altmers' strengths are with ALL trades of magic (destruction, illusion, conjuration, etc.). It would make more sense to give Altmers an increase to spell critical, instead of limit them to purely magic damage alone. However, as a trade-off for their decent sustain, the critical value will have to be lower at around 3%. This doesn't directly address the lack of magic damage passives in general, but it provides classes that don't focus on elemental damage a viable race option.

Breton - The Breton are the peasant, soldiery, magic elite with innate resistance to magicka
  • Gift of Magus - Increases max magicka by 10%
  • Spell Resistance - Increases spell resistance by 3960
  • Magicka Mastery - Reduces the cost of spells by 5%
Reasoning: Bretons are not known for their destructive magic, but rather magic mitigation. They tend use more of their magic abilities for support purposes, excelling with Alteration, Illusion, and even Conjuration. This is why I'm against breaking the lore and giving Bretons an increase to magic damage, even though it is a much needed passive. The Magicka Mastery passive, along with Spell Resistance, is the most fitting for the Breton race, but the cost reduction needs to be increased as it currently yields little-to-no benefit with diminishing returns.

Argonians - The slithery, scaly, "Lizard Folk" with mending and restorative talents
  • Resourceful - Increases max magicka by 3% and whenever you drink a potion you are restored 12% of your max health, magicka, and stamina
  • Argonian Resistance - Increases max health by 9& and increases poison and disease resistance by 1485
  • Quick to Mend - Increases healing done by 9& and increases healing taken by 3%
Reasoning: Our only healing race! Not much to add to Argonians since they received an amazing passive change for healing done. I still think Argonians should retain some sort of healing taken though.

Again, this is an attempt to rework the racial passives for Magicka-based characters to not only provide balance between roles and playstyles, but to remain within the scope of the lore as well. The changes should not be a nerf in any which way. Dunmers will still be the leading race for elemental damage, specifically fire. Altmers will still be a balance of damage and sustain, while providing a benefit for non-elemental spells. And Bretons will remain the best sustain. I hope most of you have enjoyed the suggestion and can see why these changes may be necessary. I would greatly appreciate any comments, criticism, or feedback and kindly ask that they remain constructive. Thanks!

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @Wrobel
Edited by Akimbro on June 30, 2016 8:39PM
ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magic builds would be weaker than they are now if this was implemented... No Bueno. Stick to playing please.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    My magic builds would be weaker than they are now if this was implemented... No Bueno. Stick to playing please.

Weaker how? Please explain.

• Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Akimbro wrote: »

LOL

Breton - ***king useless

here, fixed for you. You're welcome.

Edited by Anhedonie on June 30, 2016 7:53PM
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is all well and good but doesn't damage and healing scale with magicka/stanima abilities respectively?
    elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats
    I hear this alot from people this makes Altmer the best healer and the best damage dealer with your stats. I don't know the calculation of how much damage and healing is per Stanima/Magicka.
    Edited by Whatzituyah on June 30, 2016 7:54PM
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »

LOL

Breton - ***king useless

Anhedonie wrote: »

LOL

Breton - ***king useless

Pretty much lol. It's lore-fitting though. Bretons aren't really supposed to be top "DPSers" comparatively. Though lots of magicka Templars do play as Breton because of the high cost rotations.

This is all well and good but doesn't damage and healing scale with magicka/stanima abilities respectively?
    elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats
    I hear this alot from people this makes Altmer the best healer and the best damage dealer with your stats. I don't know the calculation of how much damage and healing is per Stanima/Magicka.

Yes they do scale, but it scales indirectly. The change ZOS made to the Argonian passive in PTS makes them the strongest healer atm, aside from sustain. Dunmers here would still be the best race for elemental damage (currently it is best for fire damage) since they also have 9% max magicka, and Altmer has 10% max magicka.

And just to note, in case there is any confusion...only the bolded passives are suggested changes. The other passives remain as they are currently.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see any benefit to the suggested changes.

Before asking someone how your proposal is weaker than current PTS design I suggest explaining his your idea makes them stronger.

First off, your summarization of the bretton is not correct. Bretton a can do solid damage.

Your altmer change doesn't increase magika damage specifically which was your stated purpose. It merely increase chance to crit by a small amount. Even with your backup plan it could be to strong with some skills and builds and weaker for others.

Weakening the dunmer fire damage passive would weaken the race. Fire damage with a fire staff would still trump the other staffs so the magika dumer would be weaker.

Edit: IMHO
    Edited by idk on June 30, 2016 8:18PM
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭

First off, your summarization of the bretton is not correct. Bretton a can do solid damage.

I never said they don't do solid damage. The "summarization" pertains the passives that these races have. So again, Bretons don't have damage.

Your altmer change doesn't increase magika damage specifically which was your stated purpose. It merely increase chance to crit by a small amount. Even with your backup plan it could be to strong with some skills and builds and weaker for others.

I agree and this was stated in the reasoning. However, the values can always be changed. The crit chance % increase should reflect an equal damage output as to what Elemental Talent offered. That way, there won't be an actual DPS loss with the change.

Weakening the dunmer fire damage passive would weaken the race. Fire damage with a fire staff would still trump the other staffs so the magika dumer would be weaker.

Correct. This was just a consideration I was too lazy to add. If all three elements are to be equal, 6% across the board is fair. If fire damage is to remain at 7%, then frost and shock should be increased to 5%.

I will state some of these options.
    Edited by Akimbro on June 30, 2016 8:35PM

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer how the passives are on live and PTS over these changes.

Not to hijack the thread but my comments concerning the Brettom was based on your summarization which included aspects of lore that are not present in game. Lord is all great but when we are talking about fundamentals of how our characters work we need to stick with actual game information.

Back to the subject, Bretons cost reduction is just fine. Their sustain in a fight is better than the high elf at the cost of incressed damage. No need to change it. I play a Templar of both races.
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer how the passives are on live and PTS over these changes.

Not to hijack the thread but my comments concerning the Brettom was based on your summarization which included aspects of lore that are not present in game. Lord is all great but when we are talking about fundamentals of how our characters work we need to stick with actual game information.

Which aspects of the lore are you talking about? Because the lore I mentioned is of the Elder Scrolls series. If you've played previous Elder Scrolls games, you would see what I mentioned holds true. If you have seen otherwise, could please provide me something to support it? Because from what I've experienced and read, it appears they boast destructive and magicka resistance.

Back to the subject, Bretons cost reduction is just fine. Their sustain in a fight is better than the high elf at the cost of incressed damage. No need to change it. I play a Templar of both races.

I only slightly increased the value of the cost reduction because of diminishing returns as I stated in the reasoning. Maybe 5% would be too much. But from light armor passives and the Magician champion point, I thought the true cost reduction of the passive was only a fraction of the 3%. It was just meant to provide more significance.