Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Old player returning...feeling a bit lost

Mikjall
Mikjall
Soul Shriven
Hey guys,

I played this from launch but took a HUGE break and only came back recently, although a lot has changed! I had planned to play through the other alliance stories and was going well before I quit, but now the champion system has changed a lot, and I'm finding i'm coming up against level 70 star mobs when i'm level 34 veteran. Am I missing something? Have I just built really badly? Any tips on how to elder scrolls nowadays haha?

Thanks!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your L34, you should not be seeing CP70 Mobs (just think of CP70 as the old Vet Level 7 and your close enough)

Now, one thing that can happen is the new DLC zones are battle leveled, which means your leveled up to CP150 and you face mobs that are CP160. Sounds good in theory, but you may not have the skills unlocked to deal with the mobs, or your may not have decent gear equipped. The battle leveling gets better with better gear, and most people who have leveling characters don't have the good gear for a variety of reasons, the main one is you don't really need it until you reach Champ Ranks.

Or, are you CP34 (just past L50) and your seeing CP70 Mobs? The reason for that is you can now travel to any zone once you reach L50 without doing the Main Quest. (I forget if you can get to the Gold Zones at L50, but you can get to the Silver Zones at L50 for sure). If this is the case, you will see L10 to L30 mobs in the Starter Islands and First Zones of Caldwells Silver. The mobs go up in level to where your seeing CP130 mobs in the last zone of Silver.

If you are at CP34, your on the fat end of the catch up mechanism, meaning you earn Champ Points with much less Experience, so you can quickly grind out some champ points in the Public Dungeons and other grind spots in the zones you are at an appropriate level for.

Edited by Nestor on June 23, 2016 10:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Mikjall
    Mikjall
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah I'm lvl 34 past level 50 but the mobs are level 70 at the minute. I may try a dungeon to gain a few more levels. I can fight in general, it's just certain bosses in quest I'm struggling with. This makes a lot more sense now, thanks :)
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mikjall wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah I'm lvl 34 past level 50 but the mobs are level 70 at the minute. I may try a dungeon to gain a few more levels. I can fight in general, it's just certain bosses in quest I'm struggling with. This makes a lot more sense now, thanks :)

Just to help with your terminology a bit, we generally say "level XX" to denote levels under 50. Once you hit level 50 you start referring to your progression as "cp XX" where cp stands for champion points. So to get your point across a little more clearly you would say:
    Mikjall wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah I have 34 cp but the mobs are cp 70 at the minute. I may try a dungeon to gain a few more levels. I can fight in general, it's just certain bosses in quest I'm struggling with. This makes a lot more sense now, thanks :)
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Mikjall
    Mikjall
    Soul Shriven
    Ahh haha! I've been away too long, thanks very much for the clarification!
  • Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering about this too. I have been busy with work and hadn't had time to play for quite some time and things changed a little.

I was cp24 a few days ago and have reached cp45 but I have been contending with cp160 mobs in groups of 1 to 3 at once and cp160 bosses.

Beating these high court levels requires lots of regeneration right now and fancy footwork to keep from getting killed. It's a lot harder then I remember but it's not hard enough to hold me back.

My suggestion is if you don't have it buy a mouse with at least five buttons in addition to the left and right mouse button. You can assign these buttons to trigger your skills. This helps immensely by enabling you to always be able to move and attack at the same time.

If you're on a Mac you can still use mice like Logitech and Razers gaming mice. Don't use the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad because you need to be able to trigger the right click and left click at the same time. If you must use one of The above Apple devices the command button on its own will trigger shield bash.
  • G-sus_NL
    G-sus_NL
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    (just think of CP70 as the old Vet Level 7 and your close enough)

This is how I thought it would be after the removal of Vets. The weird thing is I was VR5 and almost done with Silver before the removal and after the conversion I now have CP154. So this means it would compare to ~VR15 right?

Now I am worried that I am severly underpowered since I can't complete most of the skull and crossbones enemies and because before I was wearing Galatite gear, and now I can wear Voidsteel which completely skips Quicksilver, even though I don't have the resources to craft Voidsteel.

Edited by G-sus_NL on June 24, 2016 12:49PM
    PSN: G-sus - EU - Daggerfall Covenant - DW DK Imperial
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    G-sus_NL wrote: »
    (just think of CP70 as the old Vet Level 7 and your close enough)

This is how I thought it would be after the removal of Vets. The weird thing is I was VR5 and almost done with Silver before the removal and after the conversion I now have CP154. So this means it would compare to ~VR15 right?

Now I am worried that I am severly underpowered since I can't complete most of the skull and crossbones enemies and because before I was wearing Galatite gear, and now I can wear Voidsteel which completely skips Quicksilver, even though I don't have the resources to craft Voidsteel.

Pretty much all armor between CP10 and CP 140 are useless, unless you level very, very slowly. Also, once you get to CP160 any alt you get to lvl 50 will automatically become CP160 as well, eliminating any need for any armor past lvl 49 for any other character you have.

Basically your alts are skipping the entire Vet leveling process now, and have access to your max characters CPs from lvl 1, so you can faceroll with alts if you want. Be mindful if you PvP though, a lvl 20 could have 501 CP and you would have no way of knowing.

Edited by emily3989 on June 24, 2016 12:56PM
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niastissa wrote: »
    I was cp24 a few days ago and have reached cp45 but I have been contending with cp160 mobs in groups of 1 to 3 at once and cp160 bosses.

@Niastissa

I guess you can access Gold Zones before you finish Silver. Or, you are in the DLC zones (Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Gold Coast, IC) that are battle leveled. If that is the case, then you are battle leveled too, just make sure you have good gear (Crafted Sets are fine) and it is improved to Purple, Blue at the minimum.

If these are game zones, then go back to the Silver Zones and you will find mobs more on your level. In particular the Starting Islands and zone 1.
    G-sus_NL wrote: »

@G-sus_NL

When I said CP70 was like Vet7, it was more an illustration. I am not sure how the exact scaling was done as my character is at the CP Cap, but it is more an illustration of what happened to everything than an accurate description of how everything changed. Also, there is a pretty quick jump in the Silver Zones as you are facing CP130 Mobs in the 5th zone, and start out seeing CP10/30 mobs in the first zones.

You mentioned not having Void Stone, well, I have good news for you. The last 3 zones of Gold, at least, have Void mats in abundance to farm. 30 to 40 minutes and you will have all the mats you need to make a complete set of gear for that level. This stuff could even carry you up to CP200 if you don't have the Ruby mats handy. No one really farms these zones, so that is why it is so easy. Unless of course your CP160 zones are in Auridon. Those zones seem to be a bit scarce on Mat Nodes.

Edited by Nestor on June 24, 2016 2:32PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a mix of Blue and purple gear that was crafted by my guild for two sets. I have to replace it soon because I have reached cp50.

I don't think I was scaled up. I've run a couple of dungeons and it shows on the character screen on the top right what you are scaled to.

With proper gearing it doesn't seem like the CP levels make much of a difference in difficulty.

I honestly don't know if I am in the gold or silver zones. I'm just going where the quest markers are and enjoying the plot and trying not to get overwhelmed by the mobs.

Defiantly bring lots of potions and food and gear up as much as you can.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    -snip-Be mindful if you PvP though, a lvl 20 could have 501 CP and you would have no way of knowing.

This makes no difference as any character less than L50 would use the non-vet campaign and CP are disabled for this campaign. Of course that CP501 player _would_ have quite a bit of experience under their belt...
    Edited by Elephant42 on June 24, 2016 8:56PM
  • G-sus_NL
    G-sus_NL
    ✭✭

@G-sus_NL

When I said CP70 was like Vet7, it was more an illustration. I am not sure how the exact scaling was done as my character is at the CP Cap, but it is more an illustration of what happened to everything than an accurate description of how everything changed. Also, there is a pretty quick jump in the Silver Zones as you are facing CP130 Mobs in the 5th zone, and start out seeing CP10/30 mobs in the first zones.

You mentioned not having Void Stone, well, I have good news for you. The last 3 zones of Gold, at least, have Void mats in abundance to farm. 30 to 40 minutes and you will have all the mats you need to make a complete set of gear for that level. This stuff could even carry you up to CP200 if you don't have the Ruby mats handy. No one really farms these zones, so that is why it is so easy. Unless of course your CP160 zones are in Auridon. Those zones seem to be a bit scarce on Mat Nodes.

Yes I understand the conversion is just a figure but I have seen the numbers thrown around multiple times so I guess it shouldn't be far off.

The issue I have and what I think is really weird is that the CP armor requirements are not aligning with the resources I can find, since I became CP169 L50 blacksmith today, and I like to create my own armor and weapons. So I am ready to create 160 rubedite. However since the only mat I can find in my area is Galatite and this means I have to skip 2 (Quicksilver and Voidstone) mats in areas since they are useless to me.

Compared to before, I was VR5 and restricted to Galatite which lined up with the materials I can find in my area. It almost feels I cheated and went up 10 ranks, and thus missing a part of the experience.
    PSN: G-sus - EU - Daggerfall Covenant - DW DK Imperial