Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Alchemy writs - which potions are selected?

Beardimus
Beardimus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious, is there a default on which potion is selected when you hand in Writs? (i.e. always the least / most powerfull in your inventory?)

Example - I have some higher power Essence of Magika's which extra effects, or lower powered base ones just wondered if its pot luck which get dropped off when you hand the writ in.

(yes being lazy I could count and check)
Xbox One | EU | EP
Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
Alts - - for the Lolz
Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need a single effect potion, but I think most, or at least some, come out with 2.

But the writ will never take a Tri-Pot if there is a single or dual pot potion with the potion name needed in your bag. I don't know if it would take a Tri-Pot if you had no other potions to take, but I know the game has asked me to make Health potions even when I have a Tri-Pot in the bag.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the power of the potions is based on what you're able to make (skillpoints invested) and I have always seen it be Magicka, Stamina, Health restoration and Health Damage potions.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Just curious, is there a default on which potion is selected when you hand in Writs? (i.e. always the least / most powerfull in your inventory?)

Example - I have some higher power Essence of Magika's which extra effects, or lower powered base ones just wondered if its pot luck which get dropped off when you hand the writ in.

(yes being lazy I could count and check)

Its will only count ones you craft but to play it safe i do not kerpvany multi-effect magica/stsmina pots or 3-fers in my base inventory for alchemy writ doers.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the crafted potion requires the same name as the writ even if the potion contains the desired effect. eg. A potion called Spell Power with Magicka can't be turned in for a potion of magicka.
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this data is still pretty accurate for what I have seen since TG at least.

uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alchemist_Writ
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    I think this data is still pretty accurate for what I have seen since TG at least.

@SpAEkus

That seems pretty accurate, other than the Wrothgar Writs which always require Nirnroot when it asks for a Reagent.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• WandaMey
    WandaMey
    ✭✭✭
    the one with the highest SlotIndex in your bag (if you're on console or don't know what SlotIndex is, it's as good as random). Don't ask why they don't break after finding one that fit (= same name and crafted).

I once uploaded an addon to save your tripots on ESOUI, but i'm tired and retired from this so maybe one of the 30 people who did use it can upload it again.
    Edited by WandaMey on June 10, 2016 12:20PM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    SpAEkus wrote: »

@SpAEkus

That seems pretty accurate, other than the Wrothgar Writs which always require Nirnroot when it asks for a Reagent.

Yeah I think my Craglorn were always asking for Nirnroot as well. I don't know if it is like the Provisioning where it locks into the first one you ever take and requests the same item over and over again.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You only need a single effect potion, but I think most, or at least some, come out with 2.

But the writ will never take a Tri-Pot if there is a single or dual pot potion with the potion name needed in your bag. I don't know if it would take a Tri-Pot if you had no other potions to take, but I know the game has asked me to make Health potions even when I have a Tri-Pot in the bag.

The game absolutely will take a tripot if you have no other potions to take AND it defaults to complete if said tripot is present. This only occurs when the quest calls for _____ of Health potions. I have already lost several tripots this way.

The tripots ____ of Health should probably have their names changed so that they are excluded by default from writ turn ins.
    Edited by nudel on June 9, 2016 9:30PM