Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Decent alchemy farming mat locations (aside from Hollow City)

Crazysam10
Crazysam10
Soul Shriven
I'm curious if anyone knows some decent farming locations for alchemy mats. I'm aware of Hollow city and use it at times, but the issue is it's so well known I usually end up with competition and that makes it a bugger to get bulk. So I wanted to know if anyone knew any other spots that are normally less crowded.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crazysam10 wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone knows some decent farming locations for alchemy mats. I'm aware of Hollow city and use it at times, but the issue is it's so well known I usually end up with competition and that makes it a bugger to get bulk. So I wanted to know if anyone knew any other spots that are normally less crowded.

First, anyone who knows such a spot and posts it in the forum is lacking in good judgement. Second, invest in keen eye and just explore. Find a low population zone and run around. I don't find as many flowers as I would in Hollow City, but I still get plenty of mats just by stopping to 'smell the roses'. Just hoover the area clean of everything, taking all mats. You'll have a better chance of finding more high value mats on your next pass.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have all of the Zones Open, try the starter Islands and pick the one that has the best loop in it.

My starter is DC Stros M'kai. It has some nice long strings and I don't have to spend any time killing L1 targets when they get in my way.

Not sure if the others have the same but your L1 Island would at least not be bothered with dodging enemies.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farm in craglorn. The v14 mats go towards writs and there's always the chance for nirncrux.
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

First, anyone who knows such a spot and posts it in the forum is lacking in good judgement.

This^^

If you're looking for "decent farming locations that are less crowded" and less well-known, getting them posted on the forums is a sure way to shoot yourself in the knee.
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Anything near water, Shadowfen rules. Other than that, the DC state island us pretty good.
  • Crazysam10
    Crazysam10
    Soul Shriven
    nudel wrote: »

First, anyone who knows such a spot and posts it in the forum is lacking in good judgement.

This^^

If you're looking for "decent farming locations that are less crowded" and less well-known, getting them posted on the forums is a sure way to shoot yourself in the knee.

These forums aren't very helpful :neutral:

I can understand not giving away locations, but so far no one has really tried to mildly suggest some other places.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nudel wrote: »

This^^

I can understand not giving away locations, but so far no one has really tried to mildly suggest some other places.

Sorry you feel that way, but I disagree. Every post had some good information. AFAIK, there is no other location like Hollow City. That's why so many people use it. But the rest of Tamriel is littered with flowers. You just have to go get them. The advice above suggests how to improve your success as much as possible. And don't forget to do alchemy writs every day. You get a survey almost every time. If you find none of this helpful, you may as well stick with Hollow City.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, here you go:

Caldwell's Silver and Gold Zones. All the nodes you need, little competition.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The single best advice I can give is: Try not to Wayshrine from A to B all the time, when questing etc etc, in a zone. Instead walk and keep your eyes open and pick flowers on your way. This is what I do and as long as you don't drink potions like water you'll find you'll never run out. As other have said; keen eye is very useful until you get your eye in for all the varieties of flower out there.

In terms of actual places: if you take your time, you'll find places for yourself where you think 'wow there are lot of flowers around here', in my experience thus far almost every zone in the game has one such place. But just where those are though.. well you'll have to find out for yourself, and in the long run you'll be better off doing so.

Finally, if you're trying to find places; use your head a little. I've noticed flower-growing locations tend to make a sense for the most part. For example; you're not going to find many flowers at all out in the middle of a sandy desert (i.e. sand of Alik'r) or snowy slopes. The developers have been quite good about this.

Good luck!
    If you can be anything, be kind.