The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar healer help PVP

Lightninvash
Lightninvash
✭✭✭✭✭
I am a Templar healer Currently wearing v16 Seducer gear all of it is epic except a few pieces I made legendary. I have been using legendary prismatic enchantments( I believe I have only 2 or 3 so far) to get my hp up while getting my Magicka and Stam as well(I had 16k hp non pvp before the enchantments.) Now while I am still getting more enchantments going for magicka soon( because my hp is finally almost 18k hp with blue food.) I use epic dual wield torug's pact v16 swords for dps bar. I use an epic willpower restoration staff(ik I need a new one) I also have the v16 neck and 2 rings of willpower(need all arcane ones but for now is ok.) The rest of my armor that isn't seducer is magnus set epic v16 as well. I run the 5light 1med 1 heavy(so when I get undaunted passives I can have bonuses) BTW it is the helm and shoulders that are magnus set so if I get monster set I can use that too.

Now that you have a little background on what I wear(not going into cp as it is only 245 and no particular build.) I do fairly ok in cyrodiil but I feel like my survivability is extremely low. I see Templars in pvp that easily(use lightly here because probably very skilled) hold off 1-3 players and take out a few if not all before he dies. With me I can hold my own against 1 player(sometimes depending on their skill and if it was a gank) but if there are 2-3 players I just get rekt.

So what can I do to improve my survivability? I know I can get my dps better by getting one more level in assult(6 now) for magicka det.

I run on my dps bar:

X: Arora javelin
Y: dark flare
B: radiant oppression
LB: eclipse
RB: Luminous shards or puncturing sweep depending on what I need solo or group play.
ULT: Soul Strike I think is the name (just started using it)

On my heal bar:
X: BoL
Y: Ward Ally
B:Mutenagen
LB: Rune Focus
RB: Healing springs or combat prayer depending on solo or group play
Ult: Barrier (the Morph that heals you)

Any tips would be awesome. I know I should get a pvp set that is for Impenetrable but currently I am running divines. Could that be my big issue?
Edited by Lightninvash on May 28, 2016 2:20PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impenetrable will certainly help since there are a lot of crit builds out there in Cyrodiil ... unless you are keeping damage shields up 100% of the time.

Reviewing your skills, I only see one damage shield listed, Ward Ally. The choice is yours between shields and impen, but the shields must strictly be up 100% during combat without any gaps between recast. In addition, note that harness magicka (light armor skill tree) is getting nerfed down to 6 seconds and won't have any magicka regen attached anymore. All of this simply points to it being more practical to just run impenetrable. Choice is yours. If you do decide to run shields, be sure to put CP points into bastion in the Lord constellation.

Another option is to run 5-1-1 heavy instead of 5-1-1 light. You would lose some of the light armor passive bonuses for cost of spells and regen ... but you would certainly be tankier and more survivable. Moreover, you could make the large pieces impen (chest, head, shoulders, legs, feet -- if you do decide on impen) to maximize your total crit resistance.

Templars generally have a harder time with DPS compared to sorcs ... and it appears your trying to mix in some DPS with your heals for solo and small group PvP.

First off, Seducer and Magnus are super for magicka pool and regen ... and thus are great choices for dedicated healers. However, these sets don't support DPS all that well. I'm guessing your unbuffed spell damage on your character stats is somewhere south of 1,500? You'll want to get that to at least 2,000 in my opinion. Running an armor set that has any sort of spell damage bonus will help (e.g. Julianos, Kagrenac's, etc.). Enchanting your Willpower jewelry with spell damage enchants is another option.

Second, you're not maximizing your armor set bonuses by running one extra Willpower staff and Torug's swords. In my opinion, it would be better to have one 5-piece set and one 4-piece set to complement your Willpower jewelry.

I'm going to leave it up to you on which armor sets to use. That is the fun of theorycrafting. As you are already aware, you'll want to upgrade the jewelry to arcane by grinding Imperial City or searching the guild stores.

Food: There's still room for you to upgrade to blue Orzoga's Red Frothgar, purple V15 food or drink, or gold food.

Potions: Are you running any potions during combat? The most popular for PvP Templars are the V15 immovable (unstoppable) pots that restore health and magicka. There are other good options, however, including potions for spell damage, spell critical, speed, and detection.

Mundus Stone: I'm currently running the Ritual on my dedicated healing Templar (who is getting close to PvP rank 25). Another popular option is the Thief for those extra crit heals. I think it's hard to go wrong, here, since you're aiming for an all-around DPS/heals.

Just my initial thoughts. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impenetrable will certainly help since there are a lot of crit builds out there in Cyrodiil ... unless you are keeping damage shields up 100% of the time.

Reviewing your skills, I only see one damage shield listed, Ward Ally. The choice is yours between shields and impen, but the shields must strictly be up 100% during combat without any gaps between recast. In addition, note that harness magicka (light armor skill tree) is getting nerfed down to 6 seconds and won't have any magicka regen attached anymore. All of this simply points to it being more practical to just run impenetrable. Choice is yours. If you do decide to run shields, be sure to put CP points into bastion in the Lord constellation.

Another option is to run 5-1-1 heavy instead of 5-1-1 light. You would lose some of the light armor passive bonuses for cost of spells and regen ... but you would certainly be tankier and more survivable. Moreover, you could make the large pieces impen (chest, head, shoulders, legs, feet -- if you do decide on impen) to maximize your total crit resistance.

Templars generally have a harder time with DPS compared to sorcs ... and it appears your trying to mix in some DPS with your heals for solo and small group PvP.

First off, Seducer and Magnus are super for magicka pool and regen ... and thus are great choices for dedicated healers. However, these sets don't support DPS all that well. I'm guessing your unbuffed spell damage on your character stats is somewhere south of 1,500? You'll want to get that to at least 2,000 in my opinion. Running an armor set that has any sort of spell damage bonus will help (e.g. Julianos, Kagrenac's, etc.). Enchanting your Willpower jewelry with spell damage enchants is another option.

Second, you're not maximizing your armor set bonuses by running one extra Willpower staff and Torug's swords. In my opinion, it would be better to have one 5-piece set and one 4-piece set to complement your Willpower jewelry.

I'm going to leave it up to you on which armor sets to use. That is the fun of theorycrafting. As you are already aware, you'll want to upgrade the jewelry to arcane by grinding Imperial City or searching the guild stores.

Food: There's still room for you to upgrade to blue Orzoga's Red Frothgar, purple V15 food or drink, or gold food.

Potions: Are you running any potions during combat? The most popular for PvP Templars are the V15 immovable (unstoppable) pots that restore health and magicka. There are other good options, however, including potions for spell damage, spell critical, speed, and detection.

Mundus Stone: I'm currently running the Ritual on my dedicated healing Templar (who is getting close to PvP rank 25). Another popular option is the Thief for those extra crit heals. I think it's hard to go wrong, here, since you're aiming for an all-around DPS/heals.

Just my initial thoughts. Hope this helps and good luck!

Every now and then I have ran harness magicka just for PVE(for hard hitting boss attacks) because of the nerf incoming I got rid of it on my bar. I used to run Heavy armor instead of Light back before v16 came out and I had mostly hp enchants so low magicka but I had near 35k hp with food in pvp and was darn near unstoppable because I could out last anyone.

I knew I needed a new staff just haven't invested the time into it since I do not craft( I know your heart sank there.) So I need a PVP set with impenetrable on it that is for heavy. I was thinking that would be the case but in my heart hoped it wasn't haha.

My spell damage with the swords are 1600 something with the staff it is a heart numbing 1300 something. I run thief mundus but without a dps set like julianos my crit is still like 44%(with magelight I think) which I don't think is horrible(for me.)

I do not use potions in PVP except the standard Magicka ones :joy: Since I don't craft because I just started and it takes long and all.

What do you think I should do for enchantments on the pvp set? I started running Prismatic ones on my healing set because of wanting more versatility and all stats so I can roll more if needed without not getting magicka from the enchant.

I use tarug's pact for the spell damage on my swords and the magnus is only because I wanted another set of 2 while I get my monster set I was thinking 2 piece engine guardian. For that setup since it will give me more resource management.

Thank you for all your help @Taleof2Cities :)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well immovable pots are big on a magica build. If you get CCed with two people on you, you're probably dead.

As above, impen is the best trait for pvp.

Harness magica will give you a physical and spell shield next patch.

Drop eclipse.. It gives cc immunity.

Your spell damage is really low. You should be at least 2k on dps bar unbuffed. Structured entropy is your spell power buff and also increases your health by 5k.

How much regen do you have? With seducer and barrier slotted in healing bar you should have great sustain, you probably won't need engine guardian. For healing, kagernacs or seducer as your 5 piece then magnus for the rest is a good setup until you have spell power cure or something like that.
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Well immovable pots are big on a magica build. If you get CCed with two people on you, you're probably dead.

As above, impen is the best trait for pvp.

Harness magica will give you a physical and spell shield next patch.

Drop eclipse.. It gives cc immunity.

Your spell damage is really low. You should be at least 2k on dps bar unbuffed. Structured entropy is your spell power buff and also increases your health by 5k.

How much regen do you have? With seducer and barrier slotted in healing bar you should have great sustain, you probably won't need engine guardian. For healing, kagernacs or seducer as your 5 piece then magnus for the rest is a good setup until you have spell power cure or something like that.

@Brrrofski I have 2k regen maybe a little more. I know I lack in spell power a bit because it is in the 1600s not buffed. I use eclipse as a stop shooting me button haha. And which skill tree is structured entropy in?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Structured Entropy is in the Mages Guild.

Until you get your crafting up, you can ask friends or guildies to make you sets for a modest fee.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 28, 2016 6:40PM
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Taleof2Cities thank you again. I have one guy that has mostly 4 traits in crafting but cant craft v16 yet haha so its getting there
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goodnes i messed up i have magnus swords so it is 4 magnus and 5 seducer not 2 tarugs and 2 magnus
  • bluedevilblue
    I agree with all of Taleof2Cities advice. I used to die all the time in Cyrodil, but I have become a lot harder to kill after I went to 5 light/2 heavy (don't have undaunted mettle) and put heavy on chest and legs with impen. Sometimes I've even put health glyphs on these two pieces, depending on where my total health pool is at.. I also took some heavy armor passives (resolve, constitution and juggernaut) that add a bit more health and resistance. Not a ton, but the 2 pieces of heavy make it not bad.

My total magicka pool suffered a bit, but not much and better to have 29k magicka and be alive than 30k and be dead.

I also love Kag's Hope, second the rec there.

If there are a lot of gankers out, I add Radiant Magelight on the bar to help stop me from being one-shotted from stealth.

Now, if only I were better at killing things!
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying for a type of hybrid DPS/Support heal build? Pure solo build?

I think understanding what you are going for is important to the advice we can provide, although some really good advice has already been provided.

Edit -
    Anyway, I mainly run around alone or in a group of 2 or 3, normally with a MagDK and another Templar. My build is as follows -

DW Swords
    Toppling Charge
    Sweeps
    Radiant Opp
    Repentance
    Dark Flare/Shards
    Dawnbreaker (Will be Devouring Swarm when DB hits Console)

Sw/B
    Entropy/Channeled Focus (when running with MagDK)
    Proxy Det
    BoL
    Defensive Stance (Might swap to Elusive Mist at DB)
    Purify
    Nova (Switch this a lot)

I have a lot of success on my Templar, and strongly recommend dropping the Resto for Sword and Board on your back bar.

Gear is -
    5 Kags
    3 Willpower
    2 Torug (front bar)
    2 Willow's Path (back bar)
    2 Monster PC's (Most the time EG, but have had success with BS and VS too)
    Purple Food, Atro Mundus, Stats sit around 3K spell damage buffed, 2200 regen, around 35K Mag, 26K HP, and 14K Stam
    Edited by SneaK on June 2, 2016 8:41PM
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think of the Venom set for a Templar? Procs a massive poison damage every 6 seconds when you use an execute. Pair it with Kags. Dunno if it would work, but it looked like an intriguing way to make Beams really devastating, even from full health.
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL I realized why my crit was so low my mundus stone wasn't on so I was lacking my crit bonus now I'm at 65% crit with magelight on my DW bar and 60% crit on my resto staff. Also started using structured entropy on my bar and when that spell dmg buff is on I am at 2k spell damage now woop woop!!

@bluedevilblue Yeah I noticed a huge loss in survivability once I went light. I had a guild member tell me I should switch and I would be even better that way and kind of got used to being squishy but I want it to change haha. I also usually use radiant magelight as well on both bars for that purposes if I run solo when in group I swap out with other things.

@SneaK Most the time I solo but form time to time I do support/dps in PVP. I just find when I am solo and confronted by 2 or 3 people I have a real rough time and generally die in 2-3 secs. I hear a lot about kags but when I saw the set it doesn't look that good to me idk why. I heard about many Templars using S&B for support for more defense purposes is that its main purpose?

@Pomaikai I have not heard of this set but sounds interesting!
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like having a sword and shield on the back bar for going defensive when getting beat on by multiple people. You can arm Proxy, hold block and heal, then time your burst to switch to offensive.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »
    I like having a sword and shield on the back bar for going defensive when getting beat on by multiple people. You can arm Proxy, hold block and heal, then time your burst to switch to offensive.

So you prefer having proxy det vs inevitable det? I Just got it and went with inevitable because I like throwing it on 2 or 3 people when I am supporting a large scale attack so by the time it goes off it is a chain effect that busts up a group fairly quickly.

I always thought proxy would be better for like a DK magetank. Like leap in all buffed up and with proxy and let people pile on you till you explode lol. Or even in PVE while doing mob pulls pop it on for some bonus damage(especially now that you get 2% life steal from blood alter) getting both hp and wiping groups faster.

Is my thinking of how to use the skill off or am I over thinking it? @SneaK
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inevitable det is more of a caster thing. It's good to have in huge battles cause of risk/reward being that you can just sit back in the Zerg and cast det...... Templar using sweeps as main DPS would benefit more using proxy than inev

(Re-reading your OP, you seem to be a Templar caster type, so maybe inev det is better for you. But, that build is much harder to play solo than melee Temp)
    Edited by SneaK on June 3, 2016 8:16PM
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »
    Inevitable det is more of a caster thing. It's good to have in huge battles cause of risk/reward being that you can just sit back in the Zerg and cast det...... Templar using sweeps as main DPS would benefit more using proxy than inev

(Re-reading your OP, you seem to be a Templar caster type, so maybe inev det is better for you. But, that build is much harder to play solo than melee Temp)

Yeah I used to use Puncturing sweep all the time in pvp but that was when I had used heavy armor so I could take a few hits. Once I switch back to heavy armor for pvp and impenetrable I may go back to using it. I found going the huck spears at people and stay back method works best being squishy. Down side is I don't seem to have a spamable ability that is reliable like jabs. @SneaK
    Edited by Lightninvash on June 3, 2016 9:06PM