Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How Dark BrotherHood fits with your RP?

Beardimus
Beardimus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious on this one i'm new to Elder lore, so have no real knowledge of the DB (which everyone has been excited about for some time) however a quick research this morning seems to point to cult following and assinations etc. I'm just curious how that fits if you are RPing a 'lawfull' charactor.

My main makes all the 'right' choices, no theft etc. I even rolled a thief just for Hews Bane for that reason - so just trying to get my head around how to take a lawfull toon on that journey. I did see a RPer suggest that your toon is 'under cover' for the theives guild stuff etc in order to play the content and keep alligned...

i'm no hardcore RPer but do give it thought with all my in game choices. Anyway wondering what y'all think.
Xbox One | EU | EP
Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
Alts - - for the Lolz
Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • xxxdcxxx
    xxxdcxxx
    ✭✭✭
    I think the darkbrotherhood passive skills will help in rp
    PC-EU
    Fus Ro Dah !
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess that's the thing tho, so then you take your Charactor down a darker path than intended to get the good stuff, which feels wrong. Be like the good/bad choice on the mages guild questline.

Like I say I'm no strict RPer, and its just a game, just always made the moral choices with my main and ideally like to play that way. My Thief will love DB as he kills everything and everyone from chickens to chefs to earn a buck :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree. The DB is a very tricky thing, when it comes to RP.
    My main (who is also my main RP-char) does all missions - no matter what. She is already a bit of a thief, so the TG was fine. But she isn't a hardcore killer, so DB might feel a bit weird to play. I will probably be making a character just to do DB - and to see how "dark" it really is. And if I then feel like it, I will bring my main into it as well.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Another thing to remember about the DB is that it isn't just an "assassin's guild", but also a cult devoted to Sithis and the Night Mother. Your character would have to be down for getting involved in that, or else cross their fingers while praying to the Unholy Matron and just think of the money.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm inclined to do the same @NovaMarx get my thief through it and see my business case for my main which I really doubt will stack up. Not stressed about it as I'll till get to enjoy it was just curious on peoples view of how it fitted.

@adriant1978 agreed! And that my concern it looks a full on cult. I guess it just feels the last two DLC's more steered to characters with a darker nature. Both areas can still be explored tho on the mains.

I guess it would be nice to have a 'cover' story for content like this to allign with your toon. A bit like Cadwells silver / gold how that is explained.

Lastly, people have been excited about DB since last year, I'm new to Elder lore has it been covered before in the games? Is there a good source of the back story?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @NovaMarx I'll probably reroll.
    I'm not fond of feinted RP so I won't play DB on a toon if it doesn't fit the character, even for easy-way passive skills.

@Beardimus here is some things about the brotherhood : http://www.imperial-library.info/content/cyrodill-dark-brotherhood
    (keep in mind that this lore comes from games set centuries and centuries later ; so let's see how far the DB story will remind this in ESO)
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on April 21, 2016 2:21PM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome thanks, had a bit of a thought reading it that I was going to test Vamp on my main at some stage, might go down the route of a short term 'evil vamp stage Beardimus' haha! I'll ponder that.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think you would have a hard time in the guild if you were playing a lawful good type of character. They would have to perform the acts to be a part of the guild, that is watched over by a god. Of course you can do as some suggested and simply ignore the rp of it for the passives.
    My main, Krist, will never be a part of the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood for the same concerns you have. That is not to say I am right and others are wrong, it is simply to point out that sometimes you have to make a choice when the choices cannot commingle, or turn off your rp switch and grin and bear it.
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My MO in every TES game is Khajiit + DB + bow + poisons, so this patch is looking like a good one for me. Less so for my enemies. :naughty:
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to push my main to do some "trading" for TG, but I'm unsure about DB. I eliminated the DB in Skyrim and was happy about it - not sure I want to play my main any other way. I guess I'll decide what to do when the time actually comes...
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess for polarizing storylines like TG / DB it would be good if there were some choices along the way, I.e. Good/Bad decisions. It would mean coding two entirely different quests I guest but it's a bit odd in a RP style of game that we need to take our good guys killing and murdering for a cult! Thanks for the answers guys all interesting to hear.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB fit for me because I have a character from the Gold Coast... *drools over the land*
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been of the school of thought that there are practical game actions, and RP actions.
    If I considered the RP context of every quest in this game, I's still be like level seven. There are certain things we do which we do because they open RP doors for later use. I may not agree with these actions in an RP sense; but if I ever want to get high enough level for that armor I've been eyeing... Or earn that costume I want for RP or whatever, sacrifices must be made.

Thankfully, the upcoming Dark brotherhood addition is the missing piece of RP I've been waiting for. Though the Thieves Guild was problematic from an RP perspective; but knowing that some of the benefits I'd get for completing the thieves guild lines would be beneficial to RP down the road allowed me to sort of gloss over it.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I saw this thread and was hoping I could borrow some ideas. :/ I have also been having trouble figuring out how to justify Dark Brotherhood for my main. (I want the mob-repelling passive.)

I already used 'the Queen needs me to infiltrate them' on the Thieves Guild; the Dark Brotherhood is both more extreme and holds the real risk that someone would find out my main is an Eye and send her off to go kill the Queen, which is obviously a no-go. The best explanation I've got so far is 'the Dark Brotherhood saw how good she was at killing things and decided to kidnap and brainwash her.' ...yeah.

I'm HOPING we get some Loremaster tidbits about Shadowscales that I can shoehorn into a justification for the Celestials to get her to join. Does the allocation of Shadowscales to the Dark Brotherhood mean the stars are allies of Sithis? Are they enemies and the Shadowscales are some kind of tribute they were forced to pay? Something like that I could work with. But as she's a dedicated Star-Gazer, having her change religions isn't something that really fits, and she's not the sort to get drunk and wake up discovering she'd sworn her soul to Sithis while she was out.

I might have to do like Krist wrote, and just turn the RP switch off for this DLC.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rolling with the Vampire idea. I had been toying with trying it anyway for the gains for PvP etc but didn't want to mess up my current build, so will use it through the DB content and then 'cure' myself after :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Pensola
    Pensola
    ✭✭✭
    I have different characters I RP with, but in my own "story" outside of the public RP, I try to have my main Silla live through all the stories I play through, no matter how unrealistic it would be. So for every DLC I try to imagine how Silla would end up in it.

For these latest guild DLCs, Silla is a lawful and good character, but she is going through a breakdown. After Orsinium, she was painted as a political enemy of the Covenant; didn't help that spies in the Dominion and Pact had somehow seen her there as well (thanks to Meridia's magic making her able to adventure there). She escaped to Abah's Landing, where the Covenant have little presence, but had to reveal herself to help her kinda-sorta friends at Thieves Guild. At that point, the stress, procecution, prejudgement and anger makes her decide to be the menace everyone thinks she is.

Thus, she escapes to the Gold Coast, working as a treasure hunter and mercenary. When she inevitably gets asked to join the Dark Brotherhood, she has fallen low enough that she thinks "well, why not? I'm nothing more than a murderer anyway. What is the difference in killing a king and fultilling a contract?". Naturally, she will wake up from it in due time, but that is at any rate how I imagine she would join Dark Brotherhood.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DB and TG is more of Laerinels side of things. Though shes never been a member of either group shes the one I turn to to take advantage of these DLCs.

Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a lawful type character you'd need a RP moment where someone in true need performs the dark sacrament and is answered... and saved by a timely murder.

you have probably already killed for your gov't, killed to save the world, & is it so far a stretch to SEE the possible good in killing for the betterment of one person? or the removal of one person for the greater good?

& I haven't played DB on the PTS, but if it helps at all... the DB has had some hilarious contracts in prior games, you could find out why someone wanted them dead and usually you'd pretty much approve.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    A suggestion would be to use db as your backstory. You are a good soul now but as a young mer you were caught up by the cult and fully immersed into this way of life till the final quest where you are deprogrammed or have an conversion with the return of your soul (we all started without one)
  • caritasx
    caritasx
    ✭✭
    I have created a Bosmer Dragonknight thief, assassin especially to be the bad girl in the future she will also be turned into a vampire, I really like the poison skills coming out in the new patch her name is River Dragonthorn
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    Hmm I struggle too with this DB story.

I started exploring the new content with my main who is the all for ''queen and country'' character and I do not feel okay with the very first quest.

Not to mention it may be a conflict of interest as it seems her queen already has dispatched an ''eye'' to deal with DB..
    Supposedly she is an eye too :open_mouth:
    I am really thinking dropping the entire quest line in order to feel okay. Tough choice as it provides many quite important skills.

The funny thing is that I am only a ''light'' RP but the DB content is too strong to bear with my main character.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have struggled with key aspects of DB and how I might make it work with my characters. It won't fit at all for my Khajiit, but it might just be okay with my cranky, weak, sickly old Breton.

At best, he is awkward around people (making RP with others a joy...) and can be difficult and stubborn. He would probably be reasonably described as 'chaotic neutral', although not strictly so. However, this still means taking him to a very dark place. The hook to make this work at all? Poisons - or more specifically, the new ingredients available. It will be interesting to see just how far he will go in search of that elusive addition to his knowledge of thaumaturgy, and what poisons then permits him to do that he couldn't possibly consider before.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought of an explanation for my character--it's not her, it's a dro-M'Athra pretending to be her. We already know they can mimic people, and that mess with having her soul stolen at game start can explain away that little, 'but she isn't dead' discrepancy. This even gives me an excuse to use the '...' option in dialog!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Michas
    Michas
    I have several characters and some of them are lawful, while others....not so much. The DB recruits all kinds. As a lawful character, the DB could be a corrupting influence, forcing the character into choices they would normally not make, or make differently. That would be a good way to RP it.
    My two Nord "brothers" (Wulfrich and Eldrich) represent both sides of the coin.
    I play Eldrich as a functionary, running part of the thieves guild (currently Auridon), who is in charge of making sure all activity is sanctioned and getting rid of "freelancers". He has a vicious streak and a love for torture and bloodshed, sometimes going on killing sprees just because it's fun to have the guards chasing him all over town.
    Wulfrich is a Dragonknight, and tends to be more friendly, law abding, and loves travelling outside of the cities. He's the typical "knight in shining armor" type, but with a slightly darker tone, and not quite as smart.
    Eldrich has been trying to corrupt is brother for years, but never seems to succeed. When the DB reaches out to him, he talks his "do gooder" brother, Wulfrich, into coming along, and that's how I RP it. Wulfrich's just doing what he can to protect his family.
    Edited by Michas on June 14, 2016 5:06PM
    "The best thing about not living in a castle is not having to defend it." Wulfrich Kerr
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Had to make a new character for it.

An Argonian born under the shadow stone! In their lore, those born under it were destined/meant to join the dark brotherhood and sithis plays a role in their beliefs.

theres a long back story but im not sure anyone here wants to read it haha but it makes the game much more fun for me
  • Cyel_Elmlock
    Cyel_Elmlock
    Soul Shriven
    >>>My main is an Imperial Templar who wears Hand of Almalexia armour and has the long dead-strait hair of a noble. He believes it is his personal mission to purge evil, where he perceives it. He will be unable to participate in the Dark Brotherhood's activities, and will likely murder anyone wearing their uniform in cold-blood, given the opportunity.
    >>>Thankfully, one of my favoured alts, a Bosmeri Nightblade, is more than comfortable with all manner of lies, deceit, and corruption. So long as people take great care in doing so skillfully. She was more excited than she could have been in years to learn of the Dark Brotherhood's presence. Her attraction to killing things in different and exciting ways each time borders on sexual pleasure.
    Edited by Cyel_Elmlock on June 19, 2016 8:13AM
    @Cy'el
  • Foxesz
    Foxesz
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of roleplay (in my opinion) is that you make your own character that's not involved in the story. This means you're not the vestige who saved Nirn. You're not the TG member who saved guild from getting wiped out. And you're not the DB initiate who ends up being a silencer.

So with that in mind the DB DLC does not affect my RP in the slightest as they (my characters) are not involved with the DB.
    Edited by Foxesz on June 20, 2016 1:45PM
    I'm a roleplayer through and through, questions regarding that are always welcome!
  • inespeloazul
    inespeloazul
    ✭✭✭
    If it doesn't fit my character, then I won't do it, period. None of my characters with a backstory were "eligible." At one point my thief could have been, but she is neither into the cold-blooded killer thing nor does she appreciate the religious aspect of the DB. So instead of creating a new character for it (because I really didn't want to level them) I just did it on my Crafting Monkey.

Of course, now my Crafting Monkey is starting to be less of a faceless nobody. I now ship him with Naryu Virian thanks to the two quests in Kvatch. This is unacceptable. :U
    Foxesz wrote: »
    The whole point of roleplay (in my opinion) is that you make your own character that's not involved in the story.
    I'm pretty sure OP didn't mean "traditional" roleplay you do with others, but more of the roleplaying you do on your own for your player character.
  • CrowInTheWood
    I don't know about anyone else, but I mold my RP to the DLC's as they're being rolled out.
    Essentially what I do is establish a backstory and the character's driving motive(s), then see how those things interact with the new content.
    Lonan doesn't really have morals, at least not in the traditional sense. He's seen so much death and decay that it's lost shock value. To make matters more unfortunate, the people causing it were those he trusted at one point. Now, it's all about the end-game to him, which of course is vengeance and power. All routes to that are only a means to an end. The Dark Brotherhood is an option for him to take (I haven't yet done the DLC yet, despite how long it's been out).
    In addition, he's found out that someone whom he has been hunting for years has taken refuge somewhere in the Gold Coast. He'll haunt every crevice of it until he's found his prey.
    In any case, he is fond of Anvil. Any excuse to return to the city is welcomed.
    Lonan of Dubh, Breton Hedge-Sorcerer-
    "Monsters all, aren't we? The only difference being some of us are proud of our claws."
    "Love only has one other name- Betrayal."
    "Power. The prize that takes everything. Such a price we pay..."