The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO crashing my desktop

Brightxdawn
Brightxdawn
✭✭✭
I log out of a character then hit quit. ESO crashes my comp and I have to restart. Pretty annoying. Any suggestions?
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    When you log out of your character, are you seeing the character selection screen or is it logging you out to the log in screen? What are you actually clicking when this happens? On the character selection screen there is a back button, is that what you're clicking?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Dragonking06
    Dragonking06
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I know the problem you've mentioned, everything freezes up and you can't tab over to a different window or even right click and close the client in your desk top taskbar.

This used to happen to me with Skyrim and it's happened with ESO too. You can still close ESO and get control over your PC back without having to restart.

First open up your Task manager (Ctrl, Shift & Esc),

Press tab once then use your arrow keys to go down the list of processes and highlight the ESO.exe,

Then press tab three more times, this should highlight the 'End Task' button,

Then hit space bar and it should close the program.

This might be tricky to do though as you might only be able to see a black screen, Either remember where the ESO.exe is on your process list so you can count how many times you have to press the down arrow key or if you're a Windows 10 user, you can hover over the task manager icon to get the preview window up, then hover over the preview window with your cursor again to be able to see what you're doing.

Sounds convoluted, I know, but it does work and saves frustration when you have to restart your PC just because you tried to close the game.
    Edited by Dragonking06 on May 21, 2016 1:55AM
    PC - NA Server
    Nora Wolf-bane - Nord - Knight of Alkosh, Tank
    "We both looked into the Abyss. But when it looked back... You blinked."
  • SirKool
    SirKool
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough I know the problem you've mentioned, everything freezes up and you can't tab over to a different window or even right click and close the client in your desk top taskbar.

This used to happen to me with Skyrim and it's happened with ESO too. You can still close ESO and get control over your PC back without having to restart.

First open up your Task manager (Ctrl, Shift & Esc),

Press tab once then use your arrow keys to go down the list of processes and highlight the ESO.exe,

Then press tab three more times, this should highlight the 'End Task' button,

Then hit space bar and it should close the program.

This might be tricky to do though as you might only be able to see a black screen, Either remember where the ESO.exe is on your process list so you can count how many times you have to press the down arrow key or if you're a Windows 10 user, you can hover over the task manager icon to get the preview window up, then hover over the preview window with your cursor again to be able to see what you're doing.

Sounds convoluted, I know, but it does work and saves frustration when you have to restart your PC just because you tried to close the game.

I always set my Task Manager to always show on top. That way it helps when things like that happen.
    "I know now what I was born to do."
    ―Martin Septim[src]
  • Silver021
    Silver021
    Soul Shriven
    This is also happening to me even on a fresh install and is extremely irritating, fix your game Zenimax!
  • Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    It happens when I log out of character, then back button, then my computer crashes when i hit quit button. Happens quite frequently.
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    I am sorry I misunderstood the issue, I read that your game was crashing, not your computer! I would definitely recommend you submit a ticket to our support team and be sure to include your game consultant. They can investigate the issue with the information provided in that report.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Incarnatus
    Incarnatus
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an issue with the game servers at the moment? I keep getting kicked to the login screen. This has been happening for about the last hour. Previous to that I had not been kicked all day. My wife is also having the same issue now.