The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rank 9 vs Rank 10 crafting

ChildOfLight
ChildOfLight
✭✭✭
Somewhere on the forum I read that rank 9 in every crafting skill tree is way better for what concerns gathering materials from surveys.Can someone confirm that and eventually explain why. Thanks.
PC EU

Ross Campano - Imperial Dragonknight - Tanks and steals stuff from barrels
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason is the Craglorn Surveys come with 8 nodes, where some of the Wrothgar Surveys come with 6 nodes. But, I think now, it is only Enchanting that only has 6 in Wrothgar, the others have 8 nodes now.

Surveys in Craglorn should have a higher chance of returning a Nirn stone. Then again, I have not pulled a equipment material survey up there in months to verify. However, since Nirn can be found in both Upper and Lower Craglorn, no real need for the increased chance from Surveys.

So, there is no real reason to do surveys in Craglorn anymore, especially as you will drop a 100 mats on each of the equipment writs for that zone, where you drop 22 to 24 Tier 9 and 12 to 14 Tier 10 mats on an equipment writ in Wrothgar. So, you spend a 1/3 of the mats on Wrothgar writs.
    Edited by Nestor on May 24, 2016 3:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ChildOfLight
    ChildOfLight
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thanks for the answer. So, if I understand what you are saying, there is no real reason to not upgrade to rank 10 in crafting skill trees. Not anymore, at least.
    PC EU

Ross Campano - Imperial Dragonknight - Tanks and steals stuff from barrels
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rank 9 means you have surveys in Craglorn.

It's the only place you can get nirncrux. So some people keep it at that for nirn.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh thanks for the answer. So, if I understand what you are saying, there is no real reason to not upgrade to rank 10 in crafting skill trees. Not anymore, at least.

Actually, there is a very good reason to have 10 in the material passive, it will be the only way you can assuredly farm Rubedo Mats for VR15/16 gear. Adventure zone Nodes that drop these are scaled to the player's crafting skill. With DB, you will have a 50% chance of the node scaling to the character and a 50% chance for the node to scale to the material level. So, if you ever want to farm enough mats to make VR16 gear, you want your material passives maxed.
    Edited by Nestor on May 24, 2016 3:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason I leave two of my characters at the lower level is that I get the Craglorn survey maps by delivering writs there. As Brrrofski said, you only get nirncrux in Craglorn and the survey maps provide a reasonable opportunity to get them. If I do 5 or 6 survey maps in Craglorn I can be confident of getting at least 1 nirncrux, sometimes 2, for 30 minutes work.

I also have two other characters doing highest level writs with Wrothgar deliveries so am assured I will never run out of V15/16 materials.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The only reason is the Craglorn Surveys come with 8 nodes, where some of the Wrothgar Surveys come with 6 nodes. But, I think now, it is only Enchanting that only has 6 in Wrothgar, the others have 8 nodes now.

Surveys in Craglorn used to have a higher chance of returning a Nirn stone, but I don't think that is the case anymore. Then again, I have not pulled a equipment material survey up there in months. However, since Nirn can be found in both Upper and Lower Craglorn, no real need for the increased chance from Surveys.

So, there is no real reason to do surveys in Craglorn anymore, especially as you will drop a 100 mats on each of the equipment writs for that zone, where you drop 22 to 24 Tier 9 and 12 to 14 Tier 10 mats on an equipment writ in Wrothgar. So, you spend a 1/3 of the mats on Wrothgar writs.

I still get surveys about 30% of the time, and get nirn from surveys also about 30% of the time. From my perspective, nirn drops have not changed. It's true about the mats needed for Craglorn writs, but on the other hand farming those mats increases the chance to find nirn. Bottom line is whether or not you want to find nirn. It can be found in guild stores, so there is a way to get nirn without farming. I have one crafter at 9 and another at 10. This way I can still farm nirn and also get tier 10 mats where they drop.
    Edited by Ourorboros on May 24, 2016 2:31AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    I still have terrible luck with the nirn farming in Craglorn. This last weekend i farmed 3 hours and didnt get a single nirn, then got 2 in the last 10 mins before i needed to log. 2 in ten mins is pretty good, but iactually i got 2 in just over 3 hours, not good.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Nestor said is true and I agree 100%, I would just like to add that you don't need to have ANY crafting if you are good at PvE/ PvP. As long as you have IC DLC you can use Telvar for the materials as well. Just wanted to have that information be available to anyone who might happen to see this thread. I know that's what I used for my first 2 sets of VR16 gear. I only started farming the materials afterwards ^^,
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep one crafter leveled at 9 in blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking in Craglorn. She only does those three things. The material consumption is very high and there is no guarantee, but I still get enough nirn dropped from writ surveys that I continue to do it. Because of the very unique place and skill that one must have to get it, nirn holds its value well enough that most of this hassle is justified.
    Edited by Giraffon on May 24, 2016 2:27PM
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!