Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Race Does This Name Suit?

Sansomar
Sansomar
Soul Shriven
For years now I have used the name Sansomar for many characters, however I've always wanted to have people's opinion on what Elder Scrolls race do you think best suits this name or at least you could see them being called (Lore wise, name convention wise etc.)

My favourite race are the Argonians and my second being the Bosmer, I would like to know if you could see an Argonian being called Sansomar or do you think it would be out of place?

Thanks for Reading!
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tricky one. At first glance, it kind of sounds a little bit mer-ish to me. This isn't based on any strict analysis of naming conventions or in-depth dissection of existing lore though!

For what it's worth, i'm sure you could run around Black Marsh without raising too many eyebrows... figuratively speaking.

Lore: Argonian Names
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I find the UESP site is a great resource when coming up with names. I did a little research on "Sansomar" for both Argonians and Bosmer on this site and these were the results:

Argonian names (uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Argonian_Names):
    "San" is at the start of one name (Sanax)
    "so" is in the middle of two names but always after a 't' (Tsoglaez, Tsona-Ei). One name also ends in "so" without the 't' (Dafeeso)
    "mar" is at the end of one name (Asheemar)

Bosmer names (uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bosmer_Names):
    "San" is at the start of three names (Sandaenion, Sanonor, Sanithil)
    "so" is in the middle of two names (Elsonia, Essonarth)
    "mar" is at the end of zero names.

However, to be honest when I read the name I thought it sounded extremely Altmeri; so I looked at their names as well just to demonstrate why I think it's best suited to an Altmer:

Altmer names (uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Altmer_Names):
    "San" is at the start of seven names (Sanyon, Sanamen, Sanarel, Sanderion, Sanessalmo, Sanodil, Sangur)
    "so" is in the middle of five names (Absolon, Hesolmo, Lisondor, Tusoril, Casorlaure)
    "mar" is at the end of six names (Ondolemar, Kilolemar, Angamar, Calcamar, Earomar, Panamar)

----

So yeah in conclusion I think it's best suited to an Altmer, but there are some elements of it found in Argonian and Bosmeri names.

I hope that helped! :)
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Sansomar
    Sansomar
    Soul Shriven
    That was an amazing response, thank you very much!
  • Sansomar
    Sansomar
    Soul Shriven
    paganach wrote: »
    This is a tricky one. At first glance, it kind of sounds a little bit mer-ish to me. This isn't based on any strict analysis of naming conventions or in-depth dissection of existing lore though!

For what it's worth, i'm sure you could run around Black Marsh without raising too many eyebrows... figuratively speaking.

Lore: Argonian Names

I always figured it for a mer or elven name (Outside of TES), I have taken parts of it an modified it to suit other races but it still stands that it won't be the same name.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sansomar wrote: »

No problem!

I should mention that those names I listed are from both genders (I wasn't sure which gender your character was but it sounds male to me?), and that all elements of the name "Sansomar" are present in pre-existing Argonian and Bosmer names I just stuck to their placement within the name in my analysis ("Mar" appears at the beginning of a lot of Bosmeri names, for example).

You could probably modify it slightly to make it more lore-friendly for either race. For a Bosmer I'd probably just change the ending, e.g. "Sansoman"; or for an Argonian maybe "San-Tsomar" would work? I don't tend to strictly follow the composition of previously-used names because I like a little uniqueness, e.g. I have a male Altmer who's name starts with "Cer" when that's only ever been used by female Altmer when placed at the start of the name; and my other Altmer's name starts with "Faa" when "F" has never come before "aa" before.

Wow I've been staring at names too much :D.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Sansomar
    Sansomar
    Soul Shriven
    ListerJMC wrote: »

No problem!

I should mention that those names I listed are from both genders (I wasn't sure which gender your character was but it sounds male to me?), and that all elements of the name "Sansomar" are present in pre-existing Argonian and Bosmer names I just stuck to their placement within the name in my analysis ("Mar" appears at the beginning of a lot of Bosmeri names, for example).

You could probably modify it slightly to make it more lore-friendly for either race. For a Bosmer I'd probably just change the ending, e.g. "Sansoman"; or for an Argonian maybe "San-Tsomar" would work? I don't tend to strictly follow the composition of previously-used names because I like a little uniqueness, e.g. I have a male Altmer who's name starts with "Cer" when that's only ever been used by female Altmer when placed at the start of the name; and my other Altmer's name starts with "Faa" when "F" has never come before "aa" before.

Well for an Argonian I don't mind modifying it quite a bit, a name I typically use for my Argonian characters is "Sakeethus" or "Sankeethus" and yes it is a male character.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem!

Well for an Argonian I don't mind modifying it quite a bit, a name I typically use for my Argonian characters is "Sakeethus" or "Sankeethus" and yes it is a male character.

Both of those names sound very Argonian to me, better than my attempt :D.
  • Sansomar
    Sansomar
    Soul Shriven

No problem!

Both of those names sound very Argonian to me, better than my attempt :D.

Yeah they're pretty good, only problem with them is that they probably don't translate to anything in Jel xD
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For years now I have used the name Sansomar for many characters, however I've always wanted to have people's opinion on what Elder Scrolls race do you think best suits this name or at least you could see them being called (Lore wise, name convention wise etc.)

My favourite race are the Argonians and my second being the Bosmer, I would like to know if you could see an Argonian being called Sansomar or do you think it would be out of place?

Thanks for Reading!

As a 3 syllabus name and using @ListerJMC 's lovely information, I would say Bosmer is the best fit. Argonian is not a bad fit otherwise, especially if you want to have some translation into a 3-word common name (sees-all-colors).
  • Sansomar
    Sansomar
    Soul Shriven

Thanks for Reading!

As a 3 syllabus name and using @ListerJMC 's lovely information, I would say Bosmer is the best fit. Argonian is not a bad fit otherwise, especially if you want to have some translation into a 3-word common name (sees-all-colors).

After reading this I did come up with a nice cyrodilic name for my Saxhleel.
    Edited by Sansomar on May 25, 2016 8:51AM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for Reading!

After reading this I did come up with a nice cyrodilic name for my Saxhleel.

awesome to hear, but you forgot to share it with us :P