The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need help with a Nightblade Stamina Tank build

Zach2322
Zach2322
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm looking to get into tanking as a Nightblade. I have tried different sap tank builds and have not liked them. I'm a vet 16 Argonian with 272 CP on the NA Xbox server. From what I see in the PTS Patch for PC/Mac, heavy armor looks like it will be great to use not just for tanking, but also for some DPS. Can I have some help brainstorming up a build to use. If you can suggest any sets, craftable or dropped, bar setups, and CP setups. I'll try to respond back ask quickly as possible.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also on xb na, and am shifting my v14 cat nightblade to tanking. After looking at these builds that get posted with all these specific gear requirements and exacting skill demands, I'm going with the basics. A tank is supposed to be the lump that all the mobs poke. That's the fundamental role - to be the center of attention, to be the red cape that the bull charges, to be the worm on the fish hook.

Start with that as your goal, to be the red X that all the mobs beat on while still surviving. Now add things that will support that goal. I'm going with 5 heavy 1 of each of the others, for as much base armor as possible while activating the beneficial passives from the medium and light armor lines - because reduction in the cost of abilities and increases in regen / effectiveness means I have the juice to do my job properly. At the moment I'm wearing 5 lamae set and 4 hist bark. Comparing the increased dodge *chance* while block from hist bark to the definite counter-damage that happens from the lamae set, it seemed that the lamae could be more worthwhile because of that reliability... But I'm not done testing that yet, so it's not nailed down.

As far as skills. I'm right now running with razor caltrops (assault), ransack (1hand & shield), and inner fire (undaunted) for the purpose of staying the target. Add on a gap closer (invasion for me for the increased stun, might switch to ambush after leveling the line higher) and something to help keep my juice up (siphoning). There's my main bar. I wish there was an aoe taunt. Still making big changes to the back bar, looking between bow and two hand. Bow is helpful for sucking up the aggro, bombard and poison and focused aim and the burning ground volley can *** off mobs while you are trying to kite them around. Two hand has rally and multi-target on normal attacks and brawler's multiple targets and brawlers damage shield. As long as it gets the job done, that choice may come down to personal taste and other pvp considerations. Because there's no way people will do a skill re-spec for each switch to/from cyrodiil, that back bar may be the core of what a person likes to use in pvp land

Speaking of champ points, I'm still experimenting. Some types of attacks, I can be surrounded by 4 mobs equal to my level and without blocking they are only taking nibbles off my health bar. Other types of attacks, one mob equal to my level is something that demands my attention.

And for ultimates - right now I'm playing with meteor. Yeah, I'm a stam build. Yeah, it's meteor. But I am just enjoying the sight of dropping a big rock on the target. It's just so much fun! It will be even more fun after a shooting star morph that generates ultimate to drop the rock again! Otherwise, I'm looking into a team-up between heroic slash and warhorn. Maybe as something on the back bar because those would be periodically refreshed, leaving the fun fiery rock falling from the sky on the front bar.

Basically, that's it. To be a tank, first be able to do your job - be the tethered goat that lures out the T Rex in the movie jurassic park. But survive.
    Xbox NA
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing around with a semi-tank

I'm testing out Dreugh King Slayer set
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dreugh King Slayer set is decent for PvE, not so great for PvP
    Morihaus isn't good for my play style, I don't roll through enemies often.
    Pelinals curiass might be really awesome
    Varen's legacy would be good for sap essence spammers
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...