The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Vet Rank Leveling For Dummies (Casual player friendly)

SuperJChat
SuperJChat
✭✭✭
So we all know that Leveling veteran ranks can be boring and tedious, however most people don't realize that leveling Vet ranks isn't Hard, it's just Slow. By all appearances, ZOS designed ESO to be "anti-grind", which means that grinding (which is by all means a valid, if not masochistic method) isn't what they wanted you to do.

How do we know this? Well there are several things we can look at:
  • Enemies drop almost no gold/low xp/vet points
  • Unless you are grouped, mobbing is next to impossible, especially in vet zones (mobbing = agro lots of enemies and then killing them off quickly with AoE bursts for fast xp)
  • If you do manage to mob, enemies take a while to respawn
  • Bosses in delves aren't rewarding, don't always drop loot and take minutes to spawn

So, ZOS has designed the game to be more quest based, and this can be troublesome. Most people, unfortunately, don't like to quest. Questing can be a bit boring, tedious, and many people just don't care about the story.

Well I have studied for a bit, and I have discovered a way that will eventually get you up in Vet Ranks. Unfortunately, this requires:
  • Dedication
  • 2-3 Hours per day (depending on if you group)
  • Grouping (not required, but makes everything quicker and easier)
  • Questing

Before I begin, I need to stress a few points. This guide does not include Craglorn or mention anything about it, mainly because Craglorn has become a grind fest and I am to avoid grinding as much as possible. Grouping will make your life 100% easier, so maybe set up before hand a time so you and your friends can get together to do this. Most importantly though, This guide is designed to be causal friendly, which means that this will take several days. However, If you decide to follow this guide 100%, I can Guarantee you V1-V12 in as little as 28 days, even faster if you are already over V1! So lets begin, shall we?

(I'll add a TL:DR to the bottom of each section, but I recommend reading the whole thing ;P)

Cyrodiil Daily Quests

I wanted to get the questing out of the way first. This is the main part of my guide, and therefore the most important. Yes, the quests are boring, watered down, easy, and annoying to do over and over again. However, that is what makes them a goldmine. First of all, set your guest campaign to any of the low population maps where your alliance is winning/owns most of the map. This will make travel faster, you will encounter less enemy players, and there are often other friendly players around that can somewhat assist you. There are 5 Quest hubs in Cyrodiil: Bruma, Cheydinhal, Chorrol and Weynon Priory (considered one hub, but there is a slight distance between the two), Cropsford, and Vlastarus. Each quest hub has 2 Npcs that offer you 5 quests each, for a total of 50 quests per day (+2 if you include Kill 20 players and the bounty missions). Each quest you complete offers you around 0.7%VP, which means that all 50 quests nets you around 35% of your needed VP per rank, not to mention all the vet points you get from killing mobs during the quests.

Not only will this get you great Vet ranks, but its also a fast way to level up your skills, and fatten your wallet (about 300g per quest times 50 =15K per day). Lets assume you want to level Restoration Staff. Just equip a Resto staff in your 2nd bar and when you go to turn in the quests, switch to the staff before turning in the quest. You can even slot low level skills you want to level/morph that aren't part of restoration staff on your 2nd bar to level them up fast.

After you have done each quest once, you will learn what each quests requires and locations of items/npcs. this means that the first day may be the slowest, but every day after should be faster, cutting your time by a lot. Don't forget to have Retreating Maneuvers slotted too ;P

Also, grab the 20 player kills and Bounty quests before you head out each day, then turn them in ask you complete them.

-+-+-TL:DR-+-+-
  • Guest into unpopulated campaign your alliance is winning
  • 5 quest hubs, 10 quests each, 50 quests total
  • Quests are really easy (fetch this, kill that)
  • Around 0.7% VP per quest = 35% per day + VP from mob kills
  • Good for money (around 300g each quest)
  • Quick skill leveling
  • Grab the Bounty/20 Kills Quests before you start

Zone Completion

(Obviously completion is a one time thing, so no i don't expect you to "grind" each zone every day. This is just a way that offers you lots of VP, and you might as well knock it out)

Each zone offers tons of side activities. Dark Anchors, World Bosses, Dungeons, and Delves are everywhere. Each of these offers a nice break from the tedious questing in each zone, but they also offer a great deal of VP, close to 1% per. Just group up and set out, try completing the group challenges in the dungeon of each zone for a skill point and achievement too. However, keep in mind that you can't jump to the 3rd alliance until you have completed the main story quests in each zone. But no worries, just open your journal (J), select Caldwell's Almanac, and view all the required quests. Going as a group as you do these quests will help a lot too in most cases, but not all. I do NOT recommend rushing through these either, as each zone will be much harder than the last, and if you aren't prepared you will easily die and become frustrated. Keep in mind too that the Large VP gain for each location is only obtained the first time you complete it, and will only give you mediocre VP afterwards.

-+-+-TL:DR-+-+-
  • Complete Anchors, World Bosses, Dungeons, and Delves in each zone
  • VP only awarded for first time completion
  • Check Caldwell's Almanac for the main quests so you can advance to the 3rd Alliance
  • Take it slow so you aren't overwhelmed in the later zones

Final Words

And that's it! That's all you have to do each day, and you are guaranteed V12 in a month. Note that this is ONLY if you don't do anything else at all, and therefore, you can reach V12 in a much faster time if you quest, PvP, and grind a bit as well. I hope that this eases your stress about leveling Vet ranks, especially for those of you who only play a few hours a day.

Thanks for reading, hope this helps ;P
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post, question though, what's the difference between plowing through the Cyrodiil quests to level VR vs. plowing through the none-Cadwell Almanac quests in each VR zone?

Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • SuperJChat
    SuperJChat
    ✭✭✭
    oren74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the post, question though, what's the difference between plowing through the Cyrodiil quests to level VR vs. plowing through the none-Cadwell Almanac quests in each VR zone?

Big difference would be that the Cyrodiil quests are really easy to complete, earn you lots more VP per quest than the Vet zone ones, and are daily. If you are lucky, have a group, own the whole map, and run into no players, you can complete all 50 daily quests in 1-2 hours.

Lets take 10 days for example. If you just do random zone quests and occasional other grinding, there is a good chance you will burn yourself out in the first day. the Second day and so on you may only log on for an hour or less even and just mindlessly run around do random things. So by the end of the 10 days you may or may not have gained even a single veteran rank.

Now lets say you ONLY do the Cyrodiil daily quests for 10 days. first of all the quests are the same ones everyday, so you quickly learn ways to finish them much faster each time you do it. you can complete all 50 of them in under 2 hours, and every day you will gain at least 35-40% of you needed VP per level. Because you can actually see your gain each day, you will probably keep doing this. and by the end of the 10 days you will have gained 3-4 Vet Ranks!

Another difference is the amount of skill XP you gain per quest. If you want, use and add-on that tells you how much skill xp you earn from various things. then try completing 1 zone quest, and write down how much xp you have gained from just turning in the quest. Then try the same thing for the Cyrodiil quests and compare.You will instantly understand that the Cyrodiil quests are much more rewarding.

Keep in mind this was a Leveling guide designed for Casual players and players who don't like the tedious zone quests. People who Don't care for cyrodiil, PvP, or leveling and just wanna enjoy the lore and such aren't effected by this ;P
    Edited by SuperJChat on June 9, 2014 9:53PM
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    This is awesome! thx mate, been having that promblem for a while now... been lvl 1 vet for tooo long xD been doind stuff like just you said, been running around, making new char, doing mabye one quest a day... too boring, and not so fan of running around in Auridon when i really belong to the Daggerfall, didt fit in the lore, so thx agein this will help a lot ^^
    Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are still grinding becuase still faster than questing and completing zones. i get 5k-10k experience doing quests but i can grind a zone where each monster gives me 600xp x6-10 monsters per pull. in 3 pulls which take 5 minutes, i get 11-18k experience versus a 20-30 minute quest that gives say 10k xp.

Their are several grinding areas where the monster spawn fast and they can be mobbed. I prefer mindless grinding for xp and loot after having completed the zone for all 3 factions twice.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• frostybroc
    frostybroc
    ✭✭
    So would this be something I can do at lvl 10? Still new to the game.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostybroc wrote: »

Nope this is for veteran levels, level yourself to 50 first by doing your normal quests.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    frostybroc wrote: »

I just leveled by Templar 1-50 in under 40 hours /played time. It involves grinding AND questing for skill points mainly. I'll break it down how I did it.

I did the main story quests in each zone. You know, the ones that reward you a skill point after you complete them. I believe you get 3 per normal zone (didn't really pay attention even). On top of just those quests, I completed all World Bosses, Dolmens, and the Public Dungeon (ignoring the solo dungeons). I could solo 95% of those, but if you can't you could always call out in zone for help. I also went and got the exploration xp for discovering everything. I also did all quests for the Fighters/Mages Guild and the Main Quest whenever I could do one. And don't forget the Skyshards, lol.

That's it for questing. Grinding was pretty painless. I was EP faction, for one. The only time I grinded before I was done with all my quests including Cold Harbor was in Stonefalls, just west of Ebonheart. It's a popluar area. I was there till I couldn't get xp from them anymore. After that I did what I laid out above even when content out leveled me. When I was in Cold Harbor I was doing 47-59 content at 42. After I was done there I was 44. Those last 6 levels I grinded out in an area NE of Hollow City. Forgot the name of the area but it's castle ruins. I heard that Black Forge (first room) and Cliffs of Failure were good, but the first didn't work very well for me and second always had a couple bots running around.

Like I said, under 40 hours 1-50. Pure grinding would get you faster but I have no one to grind with. I also have alittle over 200 CP so that helps me do it my way a bit better. This way was alot faster and less mind-numbing than just all out questing like I did on my first 2 characters (through Silver AND Gold). Sure does get old fast.
    Edited by Anlaemar on July 12, 2015 4:52AM
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • ProtonCow27
    ProtonCow27
    Soul Shriven
    SuperJChat wrote: »
    This guide does not include Craglorn or mention anything about it, mainly because Craglorn has become a grind fest and I am to avoid grinding as much as possible.

But you just mentioned Craglorn?

"There's always a first, so try it, just don't... die.
  • PsychoKRATOS1
    PsychoKRATOS1
    ✭✭
    SuperJChat wrote: »
    This guide does not include Craglorn or mention anything about it, mainly because Craglorn has become a grind fest and I am to avoid grinding as much as possible.

But you just mentioned Craglorn?

There's always one xD
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So instead of grinding mobs your grinding the same quests? for less exp per hour?

In 2 hours grinding mobs i can get a vet level and better loot + fighters guild exp if i'm grinding certain mobs.

In 2 hours of repeating the same quests were you can do them in 2 hours with a good group and own the map, with a chance of dying to some random people and having to horse simulator back over there you gain 30-40% of a vet level?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So instead of grinding mobs your grinding the same quests? for less exp per hour?

In 2 hours grinding mobs i can get a vet level and better loot + fighters guild exp if i'm grinding certain mobs.

In 2 hours of repeating the same quests were you can do them in 2 hours with a good group and own the map, with a chance of dying to some random people and having to horse simulator back over there you gain 30-40% of a vet level?

Agree if you care about amount of xp grinding is still far far ahead of questing. Find a good (non crowded) spot, set up right skills and grind away. If you can get xp pot even better. Hell i dare to say that even after the IC patch grinding in right spots still will be faster, just much less.
  • PsychoKRATOS1
    PsychoKRATOS1
    ✭✭
    They are implementing a system that once you kill enough of one creature. Those creatures no longer give xp. Or the xp is so minimal it isn't worth doing.

Getting gold and killing players on the cyrodiil trekk quest run is considerably more fun than dossing around killing the same mobs all day everyday (until you move on to the next zone)

Never liked grinding. Couldn't stand it in any other game.
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cyrodiil quests are a nice break from grinding mobs as well for anybody that does that. I used to do them for the CP gain mainly after I got bored of grinding mobs, it was a nice change of pace.
  • Rjthakid
    Rjthakid
    ✭✭
    Not sure why ZOS keeps trying to nerf grinding. I've already done a million quests with my first character (vr14). I grinded using Wayrest to get my 2nd character to vet ranks. Why should I be forced to do the exact same quests on my next few characters? I've done it all. I've seen it all. Why make me REPEAT it all to gain decent XP?

What ZOS needs to do is allow significant XP gain (3x) on all quests and boost damage to regular mobs if you already have a VR14/VR16 character.

Let the first character be slower paced and all subsequent characters much, much faster.
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    A good post for the casual player who doesn't want to grind - however said player can't really complain saying the leveling is slow unless they embrace grinding at some point. Remembering how slow I was at questing first it is quite possible that players will still complain questing is slow as they are still learning where to go for said quests etc compared to a more experienced player who has run it several times over, hence why grinding is the far simpler to learn and faster option for most in terms of 'how to level'.
    @Wjleppard - EU - Sharmony Youtube
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Guild Affiliations: Hodor, Travelling Merchant, Aetherius Trade, Golden Goose.
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
  • bsmorrowb14_ESO
    bsmorrowb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sharmony wrote: »
    A good post for the casual player who doesn't want to grind - however said player can't really complain saying the leveling is slow unless they embrace grinding at some point. Remembering how slow I was at questing first it is quite possible that players will still complain questing is slow as they are still learning where to go for said quests etc compared to a more experienced player who has run it several times over, hence why grinding is the far simpler to learn and faster option for most in terms of 'how to level'.

Can you recommend a grinding spot besides Cracked Wood Cave?
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    For what in particular? Level Range (And Faction)?
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
  • bsmorrowb14_ESO
    bsmorrowb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For what in particular? Level Range (And Faction)?

I'm V9 on EP

• Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    Greenshade, Verdant Morass
  • bsmorrowb14_ESO
    bsmorrowb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Greenshade, Verdant Morass

Thanks, I'll Google those locations!
  • SirMaxwellWood
    Agreed its so repititive now even if i know quests now on 3rd character and dont even want to look at most quest. Mainstorys the worst cause you have to do it if you want the skill points but so mind numbing