Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player: is stamina viable?

Lumenn
Lumenn
✭✭✭✭✭
Brand new player here and of course reading as much (recent) info as I can. Want to give the stamina nb a shot as my favorite toon from EQ was a monk(can solo, stealth, and dps) but everything I'm reading so far almost says be magicka unless you have 8000 cp and then still be magicka. More specifically magicka templar. My question is if a stamina nb is viable for a new player(I actually want to USE my weapons. Dw and bow. Mostly solo, pve? I plan on taking my time and learning the game.
Hopefully asked this in the right forum.

Best Answer

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamina is absolutely viable, and stamina nightblade is looking like a beast in the update we're getting in a couple weeks. I'm planning on taking my stamblade through the Dark Brotherhood content and then back into Cyrodiil.

Go for it, stamina nightblade is tons of fun in both PvE and PvP.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
    Answer ✓
  • Kungfu
    Kungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina NB is a blast.
    I just took my 3rd one to 50 over the past couple of weekends (don't expect to go fast your first time through - my first took me a couple months iirc). I have one NB at vr15 on AD and deleted my VR16 on DC to move my name over to EP.

I recommend picking one weapon and sticking with it for at least the first 20 levels. You will gain the ability to swap at 15. But I think you should ignore that second set for the most part until you get strong enough with one to survive anything. EQUIP the second set, just don't focus on it until you're sure you are good enough with the first ones to get yourself out of a mess.

Also, may I recommend starting with 2-handed weapons? It takes a concentrated effort to open up the heal from that line and you really don't have any other choices that will help much while you're learning the game. The (unmorphed) skill is called Momentum.
    2H will serve you well in the future as a buff bar if you need it.

The next favorable option IMO would be to go bow first and (a)always start from stealth, (b)kite while you fight, and (c)make sure to have at least one CC ability like Agony early on and Cripple later.

If you decide to start with dw, you may have stamina problems since this is your first char. But it's doable... just make sure and invest in any "chance to dodge" and damage mitigation skills you can early on to help with survival. It takes longer to get them opened up though. Some of these are Blur (nb ability), evasion (med atmor ability), and Blade Cloak from dual wield line.

The rest of this is not what you asked for, so skip if you want. Just some of my personal tips for a new player.

On gear:
    If you can find a crafter early who's willing to help (mail me @LoveHandel in game if you go Aldmeri Dominion or Ebonheart Pact and i will be happy to make you a few sets), ask for:
    A set of "5x Hunding's and 3x (or 4x if dual wield) Night Mother's." Those two sets took me to 50, replacing them every 6 levels before 30 then every 8 or 10

If possible, see if you can have the chest heavy armor, the belt light armor (or anything, just not legs or helmet), and the remaining 5 pieces medium. Weapon type (axe mace sword) will matter little in your early days. But i do recommend requesting Training trait on AT LEAST your heavy piece, light piece. And weapons.

Leveling each skill line to 50 is your top priority. On your way to and when you get to 50, you're gonna change your mind and your build a few times. You will wish you had been leveling heavy and light armor at least a little.

Other tips:
    As a new player, with no Champion Points, do every quest you can find. You'll need the money anyway. Even with crafted gear, you'll want to be at least equal level to your fights.

Learn to see when an npc is starting an attack so you can time your dodge roll or block.

Learn who his you hardest when you die. Kill that kind of mob (caster? 2H'er? Dw?) first in every group you pull after that.

Designate a char to crafting. It's not bad in this game and is TOTALLY worth it. Deconstruct everything in your early days: you'll be broke for a while but not forever.

Holy crap I like to type.
    Please ignore typos - I'm on my phone.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have several Stamina NBs.I had to go through the different classes to figure out which was the best,strongest.It's the Stamina NB!